Increase font size
Topic Title: CPD for F/truck charger
Topic Summary: Comments invited
Created On: 02 September 2013 05:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 September 2013 05:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

whjohnson

Got a problem with a f/truck battery charger intermittently tripping the existing cpd . It seems to trigger when the truck battery has been run right down and is then connected to the charger.
The unit is presently supplied from a B32 Memshield3 mcb via 6.00mm 3 core SWA clipped direct

The measured Zs value recorded on the EIC is 0.3 ohms.

Am wondering if I can get away with a mcb swap to a type C or even D, although Had I been responsible for the original installation, I would have used 40A switch fuse rather than a mcb due to the inrush current.

Charger is a single phase Chloride unit, model Classic Power Plus 48v80

Model no CIP 48V80A.
AC INPUT Amps:27,1/24,8V
DC OUTPUT: 48V 80A

Cannot find any info on the web - Chloride stuff seems to be pretty defunct.

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 02 September 2013 06:23 PM

daveparry1

Just a bit of a guess but i'd think a C32 would cure it, particularly as you say it's intermittent,

Dave.
 02 September 2013 10:02 PM

leckie

Fork lift charger manufacturers often specify D type mcb's. C type should be a minimum requirement, forget B type.
 03 September 2013 12:33 AM

alancapon

I agree. You may need to consider either a "C" or a "D" for that application as long as the loop resistance is satisfactory.

Regards,

Alan.
 04 September 2013 11:53 AM

whjohnson

Thanks folks, pretty much the conclusion I drew myself.

Now, would it be worth just going the whole hog and fitting an RCBO whilst I'm at it?
My only reservation would be whether or not the charger electronics would undermine the RCD side due to leakage currents.

Given the complete absence of documents for the charger and a dearth of Chloride-related data on the web, I am throwing this one open for further comments.

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 04 September 2013 07:27 PM

daveparry1

If an rcd is not required i'd stick with an mcb, you don't want to cure one problem and create another do you! (tripping rcd)

Dave.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.