Increase font size
Topic Title: Moving house and relocating to a new area
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 September 2013 02:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 September 2013 02:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dickllewellyn

So it looks as though Mrs L may have a prospective job offer. The job is in or near Burgess Hill, and we are currently a tad further west in Andover on the Hants Wilts border.

Mrs L is a little bit worried about taking the job as it will mean that I will have to start again somewhere new. This doesn't bother me too much, we will just have to accept that things will be tight for a year or so as it all gets going.

Has anybody made a similar move before? I've moved from one are to another before, but not since being self employed. Is there an easy way to do it? Or does anybody have any nuggets of advice? My guess is that I will have a few lingering jobs that will require traveling or or subbing out to begin with whilst I gradually move things over. I could always try and find a job for somebody else, but would rather not unless it is doing something different. I figured I could probably join an agency and sub for a while, but again having never had to do this, I have no idea where to start! I guess I'm lucky that work has come fairly easy in my current position and I've never had to advertise or look for it, but obviously word of mouth only works in the area you are in!

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 02 September 2013 10:31 PM

sparkingchip

Well, for a start dump your website and get another one.

Head it in large type with your name and phone numbers as that is what people are looking for, they want to speak to you not look at a website.

Your current website fails to provide any contact details at all.

Andy
 02 September 2013 10:52 PM

antric2

Hiya Dick,
Basically,without pointing out the obvious,you are starting all over again like you started out in your own area.

Going back to my start up I got in touch with all my nursing\residential homes in my area and offered my services as an electrician and as a handyman as I was told they are always after electrical\handyman work being done.
Not an ideal money making workgroup but you maybe surprised at how many people you become in contact with.

Vista print free business cards,I cycled all over dropping cards in to any houses that were sold, and drove to estate agents and letting agents and I put my name printed shirts on and nipped in a couple of times a week so I became a familiar face just to get a photocopy of something I didnt need copying and left a pile of bus cards with them and over a few weeks I got familiar with them all and they got familiar with me and what I did. This got me quite a bit of tenancy work.

I also worked part time as a bakers assisstant from 4am til 8am just to keep busy as well but also because the times didnt interfere with any day work I started to get.
Sorry its not a sure and guarenteed way of getting work but it is advise I was given that did start my business walking.

Agencies are a nightmare.!!!!!

Would you consider a complete carreer change or stay as a spark.
Good luck with your move.
Regards
Antric
 03 September 2013 08:18 AM

dickllewellyn

Thanks for the replies guys.

Andy. I take on board your comments on the website, it's never really been finished! My brother suffers mental health problems and was off work for a few years, so I let him have it as a project. He's now a full time (very flexi hours) web developer so my site has sort of been dropped! He's given me the log in details, but I need to spend a bit of time learning Wordpress to be able to do anything with it!

Antrim. Some good ideas. That's basically how I started here. Not touting for work as such, but just by being a face around town and making sure people know what I do! I would consider a change in direction, I quite fancy the AV and home automation world. I should be able to get work with a friend who is on the festival and events scene, but that's a lot of traveling and time away from home. Being that bit closer to the cities, I could of course see if I can drift back into the film industry, but it's so full of wannabes willing to work for nothing to try and get a foot in the door! I could of course do something completely different, I wouldn't mind a summer of cutting grass for the council! I'm not sure I'm ready for a full time office job yet, but maybe 50/50 field based/office based would be ok.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

03 September 2013 08:59 AM

potential

Finding out what the competition is would be a start.
There are some areas where work is so competitive and prices so low that it isn't worth doing.
 03 September 2013 05:19 PM

stateit

Well, welcome to the area if you make the move.

There's plenty of interesting work around here, and I don't personally mind competition.

In fact I'm needing to tone down the tool-time under fairly blunt doctor's advice.

Check out my details via my sig and drop me an email if/when you get nearer to making the move.

Regards,

Sullivan.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 03 September 2013 07:47 PM

dickllewellyn

Cheers Sullivan, I'll keep that in mind.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

09 September 2013 12:36 PM

Delbot321

Currently I sit in an office doing design and estimates for various client requirements plus a bit of report checking. I've been looking at changing job but due to the lack of construction sites and new build there is an abundance of technical/project managers/engineers etc. I even looked at going back on the tools through an agency but again due to the lack of construction there are plenty of electricians and the like looking for work all of which is keeping salaries suppressed. As we all know anyone and his dog can wire a few sockets!

Please don't think me in anyway negative - just what I've seen in the market at present. If you can find yourself a good niche market where you can charge a reasonable rate then go for it. Sounds to me like you have the experience and motivation having done it once and you have already spotted two potential openings:
-the high end AV is quite a niche market with limited competition, you can offer both alterations to clients electrical system and installation of AV/IT/data/alarms as a single solution,
-there are many electricians that simply write out painting, decorating and some of the making good after a job, again a single solution to clients

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions and opinions on here - good luck.
 09 September 2013 01:26 PM

MrP

Tricky
Your looking at this the wrong way round simple get a new wife lot's available on the market various types, sizes and shapes
Sorry buddy no real advice only posted to wish you all the best

Good luck on your move and new adventure

MrP back in the sand pit but a nice place
 09 September 2013 07:51 PM

dickllewellyn

Cheers Mr P. it's the thought that counts!

Interview day tomorrow, she's also got anther interview next week in the city, and CV gone in to another one still. They won't need relocating far as such, we can just head up the line to Amazingstoke and be near her family, quick enough to commute, and still in my work catchment area! Time will tell, I'll keep everyone posted.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.