IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: gaining experience in other areas
Topic Summary: give us a job (or give you the job)
Created On: 02 September 2013 12:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 September 2013 12:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

psychicwarrior

not exactly wiring and regs topic, but there could be made some tenuous links i guess

any way

im not a person who will attempt a job unless i feel i am competent to do it; i know folks who will take on anything regardless and wing it !

as a consequence, i end up turning down the odd job that could come my way when in reality i would like to 'have a go' to have a different experience. also, its hard to get experience these days...especially if you are not employed by a company who does it all.

e.g. providing a big industrial crane supply - yes i guess its all the same electrical principles....but its that justification of competency and having some one oversee the job as it were that's been there and done it!

my question:

what's your view, as someone who could do the work, on being contacted by another spark (say me) to take on the job but giving someone (say me) the experience to learn something new ?

how would it work, could it work, is it something you would do, are you in my area (west yorkshire), whats it worth to sell the lead etc ??

thanks
Habs
 02 September 2013 03:42 PM

psychicwarrior

no 'double entendre' that I was aware I was making!

thanks for the comments; i was being serious with my question though - i know info and support is available, but its a lot easier if you can 'do one with support' ..... i am a nervous sort at times and this electricity stuff can be a strange substance

it would be nice if one could jump on some jobs..... when you are starting out in new areas especially, it pays to glean all you can.
 02 September 2013 05:24 PM

Zs

PsychicWarrior,

Yes you can, and yes you should bite off more than you think you can chew (or Choo in my case you understand).

Before I ramble on I must ask you; Is there a crane supply? or was that purely an example?

In April 2012 newly 2396'd-up I walked into a design office and sat down at a desk. It had a little pot of paperclips and everything. I wore a real shirt and trousers from the tailors. It was bloody freezing in there (on several levels). I was surrounded by graduate engineers with smooth hands and Mont Blanc pens. Within two days my self esteem was in the sock-drawer. Since then there have been occasions where I have wanted to climb out of the toilet window and run away because the task in hand is either beyond me or because I don't agree with how I am being asked to do it and have no voice in the pecking order. Sadly, or maybe not so sad, there isn't a window in the ladies loo.

I spent a great deal of my evening time looking things up. The contract ended in October and I went to sleep for about three days. Miserable as sin, then on the Monday, went back out on the tools.

I've been back there part time since April. Nowadays I rock-up in jeans and thermals and nowadays I question things.

And here is the reason for the change in attitude;

You and I can calculate a circuit using a pen and a calculator and we have been able to do that for a long time. Someone, like me for example, can teach you how to punch a just a few of those numbers into Amtech or similar and it will spew out some numbers at the end.

If those numbers aren't right then the input must be changed but what you and I do is visualise the installation in our mind and ask the questions. So, we differ from someone less practical working out the supply for the crane, because in our mind we are there digging the trench and heaving the cables into place.

We need to see the site, not the drawing of it.

A little secret for you; As a result of all this, I know exactly what and where my limitations are. I can see the trench and the installation of it but nowadays can also see the NES and the Amtech print out in my head and the endless meetings about it all. I am surrounded by people who have alphabetti spaghetti after their names but the truth is that if I ever need one of these jobs doing, I'd choose someone like you to do it.

If there really is a crane, I'll give you a hand through the process.

Zs
 02 September 2013 05:53 PM

prophet

So have you an actual crane supply to do, or was that just an example? Where abouts in West Yorkshire are you?

You could talk it through on here and then go have a bash!

ZS, i think thats a better way of getting into that job. Work your way up from site experience and you'll have a lot more gumption
 02 September 2013 08:44 PM

Grumpy

Originally posted by: psychicwarrior

what's your view, as someone who could do the work, on being contacted by another spark (say me) to take on the job but giving someone (say me) the experience to learn something new ?

how would it work, could it work, is it something you would do, are you in my area (west yorkshire), whats it worth to sell the lead etc ??

thanks

Habs

I have found that in all trades there are those obnoxious gits and there are some who are pleasant and helpful. The latter tend to be experienced, confident, knowledgeable tradesmen who have plenty of work and so are quite happy to share their knowledge. Early on I met a sparky who was like a walking NICEIC helpline and when I was offered work outside my comfort zone I used to bring him in as a subby and then watch and learn! He isn't cheap but you can't put a price on education eh?
I wouldn't sell the the lead, keep the job as yours and get someone more experienced to sub to you. If they're so up their arris that they won't, you don't want them, find someone else.
Good luck!
 03 September 2013 11:21 AM

psychicwarrior

thank you all for the encouragement.

if i get the nod (@Zs - thanks and yes it is a 'shed' being built with a crane that will need supplying i am briefly told) - only early days and a lot of these 'i may have a job for you' comments don't always materialise.
 03 September 2013 04:20 PM

zeeper

providing a big industrial crane supply

The size of supply maybe alot smaller than you imagine.

Anyway the first thing you do is speak to the crane installer and ask them waht size they need.

The last crane installed here was a 2 ton and just need a 10A 3p.

Just try and avoid using twin and earth , its my pet hate on industral sites.
 03 September 2013 07:19 PM

psychicwarrior

@Zeeper

thanks for the info - dont worry about the t&e ! i cant imagine anyone would specifically chose to use it in this scenario... im guessing you've seen it before.

when i said 'big industrial crane', i just meant a big crane (to me) .... i agree that the supply may be not that much of a demand. 'we'll' see.

thanks again
 04 September 2013 05:05 PM

kj scott

At the end of the day a crane i just a few motors and controls. All seemingly big jobs break down into smaller parts and the principles remain the same. Just get guidance and support for the new aspects.

-------------------------
http://www.niceic.biz
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.