IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Thoughts on an E/L installation.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 September 2013 07:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 September 2013 07:44 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alanblaby

I'm not sure on this, so would like some more opinions on it.

Very small public house/restaurant, max. of 40 seats, maybe 10 standing in bar.
E/L lights fitted, and spaced well in the relevant areas, all working well etc.
However, they are on their own CB at the DB, so the only way the will come on is if the power is turned off / loss of power.
I can see why this has happened, as the lighting has been divided up into 5 separate circuits, so even if one circuit tripped, 4 others will still be lit.
But, I'm not particularly comfortable with this. I'd be inclined to put the E/L lights on the CB that controls the lighting to the main entrance/hallway.

No, there are no design plans /install certificates. The bloke who did it got paid, promised to post them, but never did.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Alan.
 02 September 2013 09:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

impvan

Came up on here recently, I think it was clause 6.1 of the BS.

It doesn't matter which CB you put them on, they won't be on 'at all material times'.

Without rewiring, your way out is to make them maintained fittings. You might well find they're dual-use fittings and fitting a link wire brings on the maintained function.
If the landlord whinges about them being on all the time, point out that they make good night lights and will help the CCTV during the night (works for me)...
 02 September 2013 10:01 AM

broadgage

IMHO this is probably acceptable as it is.
Would the failure of any one lighting circuit result in danger ? I suspect not, but cant be certain without inspecting.

Remember that the light output of a typical emergency light is very limited, and that in most real world situations, that functioning mains luminaires on another circuit will provide more light than an emergency light.

Also in the real world, I cant see a pub being evacuated for the failure of a single lighting circuit, so 3 hours after the sub circuit failure the emergency light on that circuit will go out anyway.

The real risk is a general power cut, not sub circuit failure.
 03 September 2013 12:43 AM

lyledunn

If you feel that it is a matter of concern, run the el circuit via relays held closed by the pd serving the other lighting circuits.

-------------------------
Regards,

Lyle Dunn
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.