IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 230v fire door wiring in non fire rated cable?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 August 2013 09:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 August 2013 09:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hertzal123

I installed a couple of 230v door release units linked to the fire panel in a property several years ago.They were wired in pvc cable.Should this be upgraded to fire rated cable or is pvc ok as any cable/supply failure will
release the fire door?Thanx for any advice.
Regards,Hz
 31 August 2013 03:02 PM

hertzal123

Any Offers?
Regards,Hz
 31 August 2013 03:29 PM

DOUGIE1000

If its any help, my previous employer used to do the same, said if there was a fire and cables melted and shorted then the doors are going to close anyway.

I personally would wire this in pf200 now.

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 31 August 2013 05:08 PM

hertzal123

Originally posted by: DOUGIE1000

If its any help, my previous employer used to do the same, said if there was a fire and cables melted and shorted then the doors are going to close anyway.

I personally would wire this in pf200 now.

Thanks for the advice,
Regards,Hz
 31 August 2013 07:25 PM

perspicacious

Has someone carried out an inspection and commented on your wiring?

These extracts from BS 5839-1 2013 might help, but note the reference to segregation and colour.

Regards

BOD

It is essential that all interconnections operate correctly at the time of a fire. This is particularly important in the case of cables that link control equipment to manual call points, automatic fire detectors and fire alarm devices, and that transmit signals to an alarm receiving centre. It is only less important in the case of interconnections between the fire alarm system and other equipment that are so arranged that failure of interconnecting cables during a fire would not lead to a dangerous condition (e.g. because the failure causes the other equipment to change state to that appropriate to the fire condition).

The circuits of fire alarm systems need to be segregated from the cables of other circuits to minimize any potential for other circuits to cause malfunction of the fire alarm system arising from:
- - breakdown of cable insulation of other circuits and/or fire alarm circuits;
- - a fire caused by a fault on another circuit;
- - electromagnetic interference to any fire alarm circuit as a result of the proximity of another circuit;
- - damage resulting from the need for other circuits to be installed in, or removed from, ducts or trunking containing a fire alarm circuit.
In order to facilitate identification of fire alarm circuits, cables ought preferably to be red in colour, unless another form of colour coding is appropriate. By this means, the possible need for appropriate segregation can be identified, and there will be less likelihood of inadvertent manual interference with the circuits of fire alarm systems
(e.g. during work on other electrical circuits).
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.