Topic Title: What drill driver
Topic Summary: Not quite on topic!
Created On: 28 August 2013 08:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 September 2013 10:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

505diff

After 20 odd years of buying, replacing and repairs, Hilti no contest, I've a 4 year old driver drill that's put thousands of 25mm holes in damp wood still goes like new, it may be another £100 on top of a normal brand but this is no normal brand, I just wish I'd got it years ago rather than replacing my other drills every 3 to 4 years because of dying batteries and dodgy chucks that made them uneconomical to repair.
 14 January 2015 06:56 AM

Stre1962

Hitachi DS18DSAL 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver is the latest best cordless drill brand known to me so far.. It uses lithium ion battery technology , includes super-bright flashlight and 2 batteries.. The battery is quick,charging and long lasting.Inspite of this , it is very powerful, good balance, comparitively light easy to use and reasonably priced.. I personally suggest to buy this product atleast once..

For further details and queries , kindly visit the following website:

Link Removed
 14 January 2015 09:51 AM

leckie

Check out the Metabo LTX range for drill/impact drill, fantastic. I don't use it as a driver, although you can. Look them up on YouTube.

For driving I use the Bosch 10.8v Impact driver, nice and small with lots of power. I also have Bosch 10.8 drill/driver. Handy when driving in screws needs to be a bit more sensitively done, lots of torque setting. Also great for drill with small twist drills, etc.
 14 January 2015 09:51 AM

Manxie

Get yourself a Yankee!
 14 January 2015 09:53 AM

leckie

I have still got a Yankee!
 14 January 2015 10:01 AM

Manxie

Haha me too!
I also have the small one which I use for when there is a large amount of faceplates to screw back
 14 January 2015 08:20 PM

Zs

Only four of my tools, after the van robbery, were replaced without question with the same brand. Three of them Drill/driver equipment.

Makita 10.8V set of impact and non impact which I use most and I count as one. Those are the little mini ones in black and white livery. Mwah. Great kit.

Then Hilti 21.6V SDS and the non-SDS for the flat bits and hole cutters. I think they are TE2A22 or something but I don't bother much with that kind of thing, it's on the top of one of the boxes here though...the red ones (I know, I put that in for OMS' amusement). FYI on Hilti though, mine are 21.6V because they get too heavy for me to use with one hand after that but you might be able to manage the next one up.

If you can afford it, Hilti all the way but the little Makita set is very much loved.

Edit. Oh, I should tell you that a Hilti will always be repaired and replaced. Check the wording though because I've not looked at that for ages. Once it gets old Hilti charge about £160 to have a look at it but even then it will come back fighting fit restored or brand new. They keep a register of owners so one day, If my stolen ones go in for service they will come back to me. I'd love that. I know someone who buys rotten old Hilti stuff on ebay for a few quid and then gets it restored before he uses it. He buys them for himself not for re sale and always asks for the serial number. I guess he calls Hilti but I'm not sure. He has the most amazing mixer for plaster of late, must be about 20 years' old but it is now perfect. He paid £20 for it and sent it off.

Grumpy, let us know what you decide on.

Zs

Edited: 14 January 2015 at 08:32 PM by Zs
 14 January 2015 09:02 PM

Grumpy

Sorry all, I've been hijacked. Original post was August 2013!
I went with DeWalt 18v, no regrets should anyone be interested!!

-------------------------
Only dead fish go with the flow. Be a salmon!
 14 January 2015 09:08 PM

dickllewellyn

I had loads of makita 18v kit, and it's brilliant, but the older tools killed the batteries. I think the newer kit has addressed the issue, although I lost faith and moved on.

I had some Metabo cordless kit which was pretty good, but lots of things annoyed me. The worst thing was that the battery would fall out unprovoked and I was worried I might drop it and cause damage.

Recently I've been using the dewalt 18v kit and quite frankly it has amazed me. The SDS is fantastic, and I bought a twin pack consisting of a drill and an impact driver. Since then I've added a saw, an angle grinder, a wet and dry vac, a DAB radio, and even a USB charger! I always had a bit of a stigma when it came to dewalt and associated it with rigger boots and pickup trucks, but I have to say I've been somewhat converted of late.

If you're on a budget you can do worse than the Stanley Fatmax kit. It looks a bit like dewalt (they're all the same company now), and it is sold in the US under the Porter Cable brand which stanley-black and decker bought a while back.

Interestingly, Milwaukee tools were started by the guy who used to run dewalt before he sold to black and decker (who subsequently bought Elu before themselves being bought by stanley(I think I've got it in the right order)). They're now part of the same group as Ryobi among others.

I'm a big fan of hilti, but they are expensive, and you have to buy through a rep rather than through suppliers. I've never owned any hilti, but I've used other people's and they are good.

Hitachi seem to be quite up and coming these days, so they might be worth a look.

When I worked for another firm we used all Panasonic drills which were great. I'm not familiar with their current ranges, but again, I know people who swear by them.

I have no financial interest in any manufacturers tools, but I do have access to Stanley Fatmax power tools and hand tools to test on site as a member of their "tool jury" and moderator of their forum.

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
IET » Wiring and the regulations » What drill driver

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.