IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Where have all the old guys gone???
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 August 2013 06:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 August 2013 06:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

frspikeyhead

I have not been on this site for quite a while for reasons unbeknown to me but I have noticed that all the usual advocates to this forum, back then, seemed to have disappeared. Anyway, while am online do any of you buffs know anything about law. I have a customer who has refused to pay me for a large extension which he owes a couple of grand to me. He has disputed the agree rate on the job and questioned a lot of the costs involved so I have refused to carry on with the job and issue any certificates for the work done until I see the money. I was thinking of allegedly going back to finish the job and while in there cut up all of the circuits that have been installed and completely disconnected the sub mains installed. Would this be seen as criminal damage seeing that he hasn't paid for any of the equipment or installation. Other than that I was told to put 3 bags of cement down his drain which goes under the new extension but that seems a little far out.
 25 August 2013 06:55 PM

normcall

You know what the answer is, don't you?
You should have got everything in writing before you started and agreed in writing any changes as you went along. But you know that anyway!
You need to do either:
(a) go to small claim court and sue.
(b) contact a debt collection company - normally only charge on money collected.
(c) not issuing a certificate would imply work not complete which could be used against you
(d) if a limited company, just partition for it's winding up - works wonders.
(e) use a solicitor to send a letter or two

Best I can do at my age!
PS - stupid question, but you are sure he has the money?

-------------------------
Norman
 25 August 2013 07:38 PM

Grumpy

School fees. I had exactly the same situation for a similar amount last year. I didn't get the extra costs agreed, I didn't invoice him weekly as the job progressed (and expanded) and I was absolutely tango-ed. Did the court thingy and in response was absolutely swamped by by false counter claims. Used the arbitration service who were most depressing and in the end I bailed out. It's about 18 months now so I can just about type this without wanting to rip the b*****d's head off.
He was as nice as nice can be when I was picking up bits for his plumber and roofer (on my account!) and working over the Easter weekend for him but come pay time . . .
School fees, I won't get caught again.
PS That bit about not wanting to rip his head off is a fib.
 25 August 2013 08:15 PM

davezawadi

Well that's all a bit of a pity.
However false counter claims come down to evidence and to lie under oath is very serious, probably a prison sentence so you should persevere. Where do you live? Do you really wish to give up this cash? PM for more advice, its free!

David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
 25 August 2013 08:54 PM

DOUGIE1000

We have just changed debt collectors, I would happily recommend our new debt recovery agency,

Best one was the old debt collectors saying they were no further forward with receiving a payment for a £4700 overdue invoice for nearly a year old. Once passed to our new debt company at 7:30am and by lunchtime was told there was a cheque in post. Sure enough cust paid up in mater of a couple hours.

Our new debt collectors is 3 women on the phones, after there no messing around attitude they have collected everything they have been passed so far without legal or court action.

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 26 August 2013 04:59 PM

frspikeyhead

Dougie your debt collectors sound just the right things. Would they cover the West Midlands area?
 26 August 2013 10:04 PM

DOUGIE1000

They based near Glasgow but cover all sectors and businesses for all of UK. drop me a PM and ill explain further

EDITED:
As your PM is turned off

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 27 August 2013 09:43 AM

tomgunn

Well I am quite old... I always pop in here everyday as theres always some useful information being banded around but I tend not to post much nowadays as really... as king James the II once said, (now its an arguable topic as some say that Abraham Lincoln said it referring to / was paraphrasing proverbs 17.28), 'tis better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of a fool than to open it and remove all doubt' and my last post was demonised by a couple of chaps on here so whats the point anymore?

Anyways.... I have gone on... and on.... and bloody on about keeping your clients 'close' and your monies 'closer'. Look, get a deposit on the days any works begin, (simple!), if you buy any materials that costs a lot get the monies for that beforehand, (simples!), get a weekly interim draw regarding what works have been done, (simple), get everything down in writing and don't get 'pally' with your clients... especially the 'foreign' ones that I tend to avoid... as they'll stich you up like a kipper for a pound note, (should read 'coin')!!!!

Take note... just do it!!!

As for going to small claims courts... its not too late, I don't think, for that other chap to pick it up... just go for that too... wheres ya balls? Don't ever give up... and good luck!!!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 27 August 2013 11:40 PM

weirdbeard

"Where have all the old guys gone"

Retired?
 27 September 2013 11:18 AM

Melissa09

Dealing with a debt collector can be one of life's most stressful experiences. Harassing calls, threats, and use of obscene language can drive you to the edge. What's worse, a collector may embarrass you by contacting your employer, family or neighbors. You may even be hounded to pay a debt that is not rightfully yours. Sure, collection agencies have a job to do. Even so, there are limits on how far a debt collector can go.
 27 September 2013 11:39 AM

OMS

Isn't that the point - if someone owes you a legitimate debt, then you want your debt collector to be as effective as possible

If you want to avoid the stress, harrassment and embarrassment, then pay your bills ?

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 27 September 2013 06:00 PM

Rulland

Unfortunately OMS these days more and more people are getting into debt, utility bills etc etc, not just the luxuries like food!, and through no fault of their own, the wages are just not keeping up with consumer increases, and to attempt to belittle those people by bailiffs etc and public humiliation is not the correct way to approach this growing problem tbh!.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 27 September 2013 06:12 PM

OMS

Easy to say until you've killed yourself on a job and the client won't pay - which puts you in the position of not being able to pay your men, your suppliers or your domestic bills.

There is a world of difference in genuine consumer debt and those in a position to instruct works on a large extension and then not pay the relevant contractors for works agreed to to and delivered. The former are reasonably protected in law - the latter should be hounded with every legitimate tool at the debt collectors disposal - and a few not so legitimate ones if you can get away with it.

Regards

OMS

27 September 2013 07:10 PM

daveparry1

Those people shouldn't live beyond their means then should they Rulland! most of them will have their wide-screen wall mounted TV's, late cars on hp, holidays, drink, smoke etc. etc.

Dave.
 27 September 2013 07:32 PM

Rulland

Hang on both of you please, I am not saying that people who live beyond their means should be exempt from action via bailiffs or whatever, what I am saying is that more and more people are struggling to make ends meet.
I agree that people who get the bailiffs on their door, and plead poverty, yet have all mod cons etc, decent cars on driveway, should be hounded by all means available, it is brought upon themselves by greed, yet they all pay, albeit at the last chance they have, because they can, with cash usually because by that point that is all the bailiffs will accept!-but to hound people when they genuinly cannot pay is a rather different matter.
I just think that OMS's first reply was a rather broad statement that could be interpreted wrongly by a lot of the populous.
I'm not condoning anything particular by the way, we all have bills to pay.
Richard.

27 September 2013 07:45 PM

OMS

I just think that OMS's first reply was a rather broad statement that could be interpreted wrongly by a lot of the populous.

Mmmm - I'm not so sure

My first comment was that if you someone owes you money, you want your debt collector to be effective

My second, was that if you want to avoid the problems then pay your bills.

I'm not so naive as to not realise that most of us are only about 3 months wages away from the gutter and that people get into financial trouble through no fault of thier own in many cases - ill health, bad payers, bad employers, relationship breakdowns, redundancy, drink, drugs, mental health problems, accidents, other family members going through those as well - the list goes on.

Taking all that in terms of the second point, then there are mechanisms available to assist that avoid the bad debt chasers.

That said, there are plenty of wanton barstewards out there who will quite happily spend your money before spending thier own without any qualms - I've no problem with giving them as hard a time as the law allows.

Regards

OMS

27 September 2013 08:00 PM

Rulland

So in affect I think we are agreeing then on certain points OMS ?.
I do wish I could type as fast as you, but after 18000+ posts on here alone you're bound to be more than just a two fingered typer like myself, lol.
Regards,
Richard.

27 September 2013 08:07 PM

OMS

Don't bet on it - two fingers is enough of a challenge for me - typing is not one of strogest skills that's for sure

Yes, and I think we do agree - just a difference in tone I guess

Regards

OMS

27 September 2013 08:31 PM

cookers

I wish you luck, it will take perseverence but do take him to court.

As to "where are the old guys?" I am old, so feel I must reply!

I retired from posting when it became apparent that many thought it problematic to install a light in a toilet, to comply with regulations and Part P requirements, this confirmed the world has gone mad!
 28 September 2013 07:55 PM

frspikeyhead

I am pretty glad I clocked onto the forum tonight to see this thread still living. I had forgotten about it. As for the debt problem the guy in question eventually paid up after three months of harranging him albeit at a slight reduction. Now he's looking for another electrician to finish the next stage of the job as this one won't be working for him again.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Where have all the old guys gone???

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.