IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is electric cable on block and beam floor OK?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 August 2013 12:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 August 2013 07:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Phillron

If my wife were making strides across that floor,the compression forces on the abysmally installed cable routes would ensure the reduced life expectancy of that installation would be greatly reduced still further

If you do intend to leave them in their current residency, at least use metal plate which would have a bit of strength in its construction

Incidentally,I suspect you are technically breaking the law by not carrying out the failed part p procedure to the letter,the builder himself is not responsible for ensuring compliance with that building reg
 20 August 2013 07:21 PM

OMS

OK - you're the client, your call if you want to accept it. Given that you've had good advice on here, and that it's the builders problem to keep you happy, I'm suprised you are they guy rushing about putting right the builders obvious lack of knowledge and capability however.

Good luck anyway - I hope it keeps working and gives you many years of trouble free service

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 20 August 2013 07:23 PM

rocknroll

breaking the law by not carrying out the failed part p

Since the size of extensions was increased in April where planning is not required I suspect you may see a bit more of this, dont underestimate builders and the consumer they often know that extending a ring main and lighting circuit into the extension does not invoke Part P.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 20 August 2013 07:50 PM

Phillron

Originally posted by: rocknroll

breaking the law by not carrying out the failed part p

Since the size of extensions was increased in April where planning is not required I suspect you may see a bit more of this, dont underestimate builders and the consumer they often know that extending a ring main and lighting circuit into the extension does not invoke Part P.

regards

Are you still in "England" mode or does the planning change include the other countries that make up the UK
 20 August 2013 07:57 PM

rocknroll

'England mode'

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 20 August 2013 08:28 PM

jonbey

I just had some electricians look at it and they said it was acceptable. It will also be checked by another electrician and he will be issuing the certificate.
 20 August 2013 09:06 PM

OMS

Well - as the man said, "They would say that - wouldn't they" -

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 21 August 2013 09:32 AM

perspicacious

"Well - as the man said, "They would say that - wouldn't they" -"

In the same theme, I think someone has been screwed but is apparently happy

Regards

BOD
 21 August 2013 09:37 AM

jonbey

I would not say happy, just trying to make the best of the situation. Got the plumbing to sort out now, but at least I know a good plumber - just need to get him to do the work.
 21 August 2013 09:38 AM

jonbey

(and I am seeking a new electrician to wire up the new kitchen - he is coming to look tomorrow).
 25 August 2013 09:56 PM

antric2

If this is the standard of some of the work that is on view then it makes you wonder what some of the hidden cabling is like..and no..it isnt acceptable the way it is.
 26 August 2013 01:41 PM

Zs

Jonbey, you still there?

It is a shame you've had to go through this but I can see where you are coming from in just wanting to get it sorted.

If you are going to buy and install metal capping for this cable then can I suggest that you are careful with the ends of the capping and how they overlap or end. Protect them with care using something robust. Pressure over the years may cause the sharp edges to cut into the cable. We don't usually use it on floors and it is really designed to protect cable from the plasterers trowel.

Zs
 26 August 2013 06:00 PM

antric2

Looking at the photo of the single cable run across the floor, why cant it be rerouted, if long enough, up and over the 1st floor ceiling joists or a new length put in as it must either be going to another socket or back to board.
Regards
Antric
 08 October 2013 06:12 AM

zarakhan

its a very interesting post about electric cables and images show of electric cable make this post more interesting facebook.com/frcables.spellgroup
 08 October 2013 12:42 PM

Alexg

Jonbey,

Your latest reactions seem very strange. You have been advised by many industry experts on here that it needs redoing, yet you seem to have accepted a sub-standard installation. I can understand your frustration by it all but this builder cannot be allowed to carry on with doing things in this way. He may of been doing it 20 years, but he has been doing it wrong for 20 years! As for his electrician who just signs it off, words fail me.

Ignoring the long term effects of this abysmal installation, looking at that second photo, there are many things lying about which could damage that soft PVC cable before the floor goes down, they might not be noticeable in the dust but could eventually cause problems, then you will have to have the floor up or find another way of rewiring it.

I'm surprised the independent electrician you had in said it was ok, however he could be just as rough for all we know...You would be better calling in an independent inspector such as one that accesses contractors for schemes such as Napit/NICEIC/ECA.

Now I've written the above, I've just noticed your post was from August so I'm sure the job is finished now, what was the outcome?

08 October 2013 05:16 PM

colinhaggett

Originally posted by: Alexg

Jonbey,

Your latest reactions seem very strange. You have been advised by many industry experts on here that it needs redoing, yet you seem to have accepted a sub-standard installation. I can understand your frustration by it all but this builder cannot be allowed to carry on with doing things in this way. He may of been doing it 20 years, but he has been doing it wrong for 20 years! As for his electrician who just signs it off, words fail me.

Ignoring the long term effects of this abysmal installation, looking at that second photo, there are many things lying about which could damage that soft PVC cable before the floor goes down, they might not be noticeable in the dust but could eventually cause problems, then you will have to have the floor up or find another way of rewiring it.

I'm surprised the independent electrician you had in said it was ok, however he could be just as rough for all we know...You would be better calling in an independent inspector such as one that accesses contractors for schemes such as Napit/NICEIC/ECA.

Now I've written the above, I've just noticed your post was from August so I'm sure the job is finished now, what was the outcome?

A call to an electrician in twenty years time or much sooner if damaged!

IET » Wiring and the regulations » Is electric cable on block and beam floor OK?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.