Increase font size
Topic Title: Can operate multiple dol starter on/off from one place
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 July 2013 11:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 July 2013 11:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kvvsrao

I have different motors running in different places in 30 acres aqua form, All motors have DOL Starters next to the motor.

To on/off all motors, we have to walk through entire form and it is taking 30-45 mins of time.

Is there any way operate all these starters in one place (may be from office room). it will save time and power to me.

[one of my friend told me that it is possible with extra wiring from starter to office room]

Thank you,
surendra
 30 July 2013 11:59 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

You just need to momentarily open the coil circuit.

An extra relay adjacent to the starter (or the starter may have the extra contact anyway) is what you want.

To make it easy, perhaps have a look for simple radio RX relays so you can avoid the wiring - just send a signal to all the receivers and hey presto - every relevant motor in the off condition.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 30 July 2013 01:59 PM

AJJewsbury

You just need to momentarily open the coil circuit.

An extra relay adjacent to the starter (or the starter may have the extra contact anyway) is what you want.

To make it easy, perhaps have a look for simple radio RX relays so you can avoid the wiring - just send a signal to all the receivers and hey presto - every relevant motor in the off condition.

And maybe a second one to start it again?

If you've a lot of largish motors you might want to think about avoiding starting them all together at the same instant - as the cumulative starting current might be a bit much for the supply. Probably not a problem if you're thinking of lots of individual remote control buttons, but if you were thinking of one master 'on' button, some kind of sequenced start might be in order.

- Andy.
 30 July 2013 02:16 PM

OMS

Ahhh - missed the "and on" bit -

Gets a lot more problematic now though - in addition to all the points you raise Andy, remoe staring driven loads can be potentially hazardous - I'd usually expect individual machine operators to make a start condition local to the machine.

Without any idea of what's being driven though, it's probably not easy to say.

Regards

OMS

30 July 2013 07:02 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: kvvsrao
To on/off all motors, we have to walk through entire form and it is taking 30-45 mins of time.

On your bike!

Is there any way operate all these starters in one place (may be from office room). it will save time and power to me.

Not knowing the application or the location, is not possible to automate the controls locally? e.g., by sensing of pressure or temperature etc.

Regards
 30 July 2013 09:49 PM

slittle

We do it with grain fans OMS. Loads of them driven remotely.

To be fair you can't really get ingested unless you're completely stupid and there are appropriate signs about "This machine may start automatically" in place.

Many of them are controlled by a networked control system based in Lincolnshire with the farmer accessing via t'internet.

As to the OP, RF solutions do some nice multi-output kit that would work well over a mile or two.

Stu
 31 July 2013 09:51 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: slittle
To be fair you can't really get ingested unless you're completely stupid and there are appropriate signs about "This machine may start automatically" in place.

And hopefully ........... pre-start warnings and interlocks.

Regards
 31 July 2013 09:59 AM

OMS

I agree Stu - grain drying fans should be so arranged that people can't be "in" them anyway - plus all the associated drowning risks of silos etc should keep them away full stop.

It was just a word of caution regarding potential risks of "machinery" starting under remote control - conveyors and the like are potentially the problem. Lots of bureau operated systems have additionl safety features anyway - contacts on gaurds or presense or proximity detection

Regards

OMS

31 July 2013 09:03 PM

slittle

We try and have plenty of "E" stops around (probably more than the usual) so in the unlikely event you are in the fan shed when it decides to go for it you can at least shut it back down.

As to pre-start warnings, yep..... There's a thud as the contactor comes in, from then you've got a few seconds before the wind starts ;-)

Stu
 31 July 2013 09:34 PM

prophet

We use buzzers/sirens at around 5 seconds before the equipment starts (conveyors, feeders etc) and most areas are covered by cctv.
Plus a culture of locking off and permits to work is beaten into us!
 01 August 2013 09:47 PM

slittle

Never done it on feeders, but on grain handling with conveyors etc there is always a siren and delay between pushing the "go" button and anything moving.

Stu
 02 August 2013 11:16 PM

sparkyaj

Hi, I do a fair amount of works like this. If you would like to email me directly with a few more specific items I would be more than happy to help you. :-)

Alastair
sales@ajfinch.co.uk
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.