Increase font size
Topic Title: Apprenticeship funding changes
Topic Summary: Feed back your thoughts
Created On: 29 July 2013 12:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 July 2013 12:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

marclambert

If you are involved in the training, employment, mentoring or are just interested in how apprenticeships move forward, please look at the following.]https://://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/apprenticeship-funding-reform-in-england [/S]://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/apprenticeship-funding-reform-in-england
Most of the ideas involve employers paying for training, which I'm sure will be very popular. We are going from offering incentives to employers to asking them to pay whilst also putting the risk onto the training provider. If the employer doesn't pay their bit then neither will the govt pay theirs. Great for the provider
Please do have a read and give feedback. Be nice to see what people think on here also.
Regards
Marc
 29 July 2013 12:57 PM

marclambert

Sorry, please cut and paste I can't make the link work properly.
Regards
Marc
 29 July 2013 01:31 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

29 July 2013 07:02 PM

sparkingchip

Thoughts?

Kids cannot leave school at sixteen and have to stay until they are eighteen unless they are attending college to continue education or starting a job with training.

The availability of jobs with training has not been good, however the number of apprenticeships have double in since 2010.

So lots more young people wanting a apprenticeship to get out of school and into the workplace, though as it says in the report they lack work experience and require a larger investment of time and money than a more mature trainee.

So competition for electrical apprenticeships amongst young people, so the employers will be able to cherry pick the brightest and most enthusiastic young people to take on.

That's a good thing for the employers because the government will hold back 20% of the training money and it will only be released upon the successful completion of the apprenticeship, so if the employer is holding theirs and the colleges money and they have a kid fail will they be able to deduct all the money lost from what they pay to the college or are they legally obliged to split the cost with the college or stand it themselves or take it out of the kids money?

Whatever happens kids of average or lower ability will really lose out to the high flying kids as the cherry picking takes place.

Andy
 29 July 2013 08:05 PM

OMS

So competition for electrical apprenticeships amongst young people, so the employers will be able to cherry pick the brightest and most enthusiastic young people to take on.

Nothing new there - I grew up in a heavily industrialised area at a time when Maggie (god love her) was wreaking havoc. I was awarded one of 10 apprenticeships with a company that used to have potentially thousands of applicants. Knowing that's the rate of attrition, you made bloody sure you put in the work for GCE's - wouldn't you want the brightest and best for your company ?

The one thing I would say that apprenticeships do is to make people more socially mobile - something that's lacking today. The apprenticeships schemes never disadvantaged the bright kids from the tough estates - it gave people a start and it was up to them where they went from there.

Whatever happens kids of average or lower ability will really lose out to the high flying kids as the cherry picking takes place.

Not really - apprenticeships will simply reclaim those people that we now send straight to university (incorrectly in many cases). Ther eis no doubt in my mind that some people studying

Overall, I think it's a good thing - employers know what they want their people to do and when they have the money, they can dictate the direction and type of training and the syllabus involved.

Yes, we may lose one generation of people who don't make the grade - but we had that with YTS and YOP schemes when I did my apprenticeship - overall, the quality and quantity of skilled people in the UK is likley to go up - these people earn more, pay more taxes, progress, go on to more demanding roles, devlop more industry and more jobs and they do that from a rock solid foundation of underpinning knowledge. If you want an example go and look at SME's in Germany - most of the senior management still have traces of oil under the fingernails - and most would be quite capable of taking off thier suit jacket and fault finding a piece of machinery - and look how little the recession has affected german manufacturing compared to UK

Essentially it's called growing your own skilled workforce - bring it on I say, it's only about 25 years too late

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 02 August 2013 11:22 PM

sparkyaj

Hi Marc. Interesting read. Ill bring it up at the next Summit Skills meeting I go to. Regards, Alastair
 03 August 2013 01:04 AM

baldelectrician

It's amazing how different governments work

Up in Scotland the Scottish Government are making it a requirement of government contracts (all of them above EU threshold) that companies have an 'apprenticeship framework' in place

This has doubled the apprenticeships since 2006, and the policy hasn't come into force yet.

They are also merging 3 local colleges into 1 Ayrshire Campus. This will allow 3 locations to offer industry recognised electrical training (only 1 does at present, but more than 1 does electrical training)

-------------------------
baldelectrician.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.