Increase font size
Topic Title: Compiling Condition Reports
Topic Summary: What are the most common defects
Created On: 26 July 2013 02:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 July 2013 02:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

keithredpath

I am compiling a list of the the most common defects encountered during a periodic inspection of the fixed wiring.

My plan is to use a code when compiling the report to save on reporting time.

For example. " The existing circuit directory is inadequate and should be updated with comprehensive and up to date information"

This is a very common defect and would be coded A. B would be the next most common defect. I want to use a maximum of 26 Code with free text to cover the unusual defects.

Has anyone any ideas.

-------------------------
keithredpath
 26 July 2013 04:47 PM

daveparry1

Sounds like you're wanting to make things more complicated than they already are Keith!

Dave.
 26 July 2013 05:40 PM

ebee

No I sympathise .
A few years back I did same thing.
Realising there was a "common core" of defects often found.
There were about 7 or 8 very common, 7 or 8 quite common and 3 or 4 common.
in other words about 20 "old chestnuts".
When I looked up the regs that they did not comply with then it was a list of about 40 ish rather than 20.
I might see if I can dig it out and have a ponder at it, of course the reg numbers will have been amended since and it was before RCD mania crept in.

I used it as a quick memory jog for myself when estimating for disabled grants (showers & extractors mainly or bathroom/shower room conversions)

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 26 July 2013 10:14 PM

perspicacious

"zeo Ze - could not switch off.
It was not possible to obtain a true value of Ze (external earth loop impedance) as the supply to the building could not be switched off. The value of Ze stated was obtained with all bonding conductors connected.
zes Ze - specification
A true value of Ze (external earth loop impedance) was not measured as the isolation of the supply to the building does not form part of the agreed specification. The value of Ze stated was obtained with all bonding conductors connected.
jcm256

This is what I can't understand about the EICRs that I see, the above are limitations to be recorded.

Any results under the circumstances described above are Zs, not Ze and as such, I make a comment that the EICR does not reflect the true condition of the installation.

What is this obsession with filling in empty test result boxes?

Regards

BOD
 26 July 2013 11:35 PM

leckie

Your a very funny man BOD!

But it's not very fair lifting replies from another, er, what's the word, er, er, well another message.
 26 July 2013 11:53 PM

perspicacious

"But it's not very fair lifting replies from another, er, what's the word, er, er, well another message."

Do you mean the message that jcm256 posted at 9:58 PM this evening which prompted my reply? It had been been deleted unknown to me whilst I was composing my reply for some reason...........

Anyway, before I turn into a pumpkin

Regards

BED

Edited: 27 July 2013 at 12:00 AM by perspicacious
 27 July 2013 10:03 AM

davezawadi

I have a better idea. Attack the macro editor in your word processor and have pre-arranged defect descriptions in a drop down box. Your idea would make reading the report very difficult, which is never a good idea if you want repeat work. My method saves all the typing and is easier to use really, and much more readable.

David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
 27 July 2013 07:07 PM

jcm256

Might be of some use, some comments need to be updated to current regulations, regulation numbering added if applicable.
zeo Ze - could not switch off.

It was not possible to obtain a true value of Ze (external earth loop impedance) as the supply to the building could not be switched off. The value of Ze stated was obtained with all bonding conductors connected.

zes Ze - specification

A true value of Ze (external earth loop impedance) was not measured as the isolation of the supply to the building does not form part of the agreed specification. The value of Ze stated was obtained with all bonding conductors connected.

epi Equipotential bonding conductors - identification
The main equipotential bonding conductors should be identified with durable labels at the consumers main earthing terminal and fitted with permanent labels stating "SAFETY ELECTRICAL CONNECTION - DO NOT REMOVE".

epb Equipotential bonding conductor - bond
This item should be bonded to the main earth terminal with a suitably sized and identified conductor fitted with permanent labels stating "SAFETY ELECTRICAL CONNECTION - DO NOT REMOVE".

eps Equipotential bonding conductor - size
The main equipotential bonding conductor to this item is too small. It should be replaced with a suitably sized and identified conductor fitted with permanent labels stating "SAFETY ELECTRICAL CONNECTION - DO NOT REMOVE".

met Main earthing terminal
A main earth terminal should be installed to allow the correct termination of the earthing conductor and the main equipotential bonding conductors.

hics High earth continuity - steel cpc
The high earth continuity value of ? ohms should be reduced to a maximum of 0.5 ohms.

hicc High earth continuity - copper cpc
The high earth continuity value of ?? ohms should be reduced to a maximum value of 1.0 ohm.

hls High earth loop impedance - socket outlet
The earth loop impedance value of this socket outlet is ?.? ohms. This value should be reduced or the protective device changed to ensure that a maximum disconnection time of 0.4 seconds is achieved.

sb Supplementary bonding required
This item should be fitted with a supplementary bonding conductor.

vem Voltage on exposed metalwork
A voltage of ? volts is appearing on the exposed metalwork. The metalwork should be bonded to earth and the fault creating the voltage should be rectified.

hle High earth leakage equipment areas
This area supplies equipment with high earth leakage values. The supplies to this equipment should have high integrity earthing arrangements as prescribed in Chapter x of the wiring regulations

phel Petroleum - high earth leakage
The measured value of earth leakage current in this circuit is ? mA. This exceeds the maximum value of 100 mA as stated in the "Guidance for the Design, Construction, Modification and Maintenance of Petrol Filling Stations" published by the Institute of Petroleum and the Association for Petroleum and Explosives Administration. A detailed risk analysis or conversion to an approved earthing system should be carried out."
i
r5 Insulation resistance - below 0.5 Megohms
The group insulation resistance value to earth of the outgoing circuits is ?.? Megohms. This value should be improved to a minimum of 0.5 Megohms, with a minimum of 2 Megohms on individual circuits.

ir2 Insulation resistance - between 0.5 and 2 Megohms
The group insulation resistance value to earth of the outgoing circuits is ?.? Megohms and it may be possible that a latent defect exists. The circuits should be individually tested to ensure that a minimum of 2 Megohms is achieved.

ir10 Insulation resistance - below 10 Megohms - petroleum
The insulation resistance value of this circuit is ? Megohms. This value should be raised to at least 10 Megohms.

ir10+ Above 10 Megohms but significantly lower value than in the previous years test
The insulation resistance value of this circuit is ?? Megohms. Although this value is acceptable, it is considerably lower than the value of ?? Megohms obtained in the previous years test. The reason for this deterioration should be found and remedial action carried out.

irne Insulation resistance - electronic equipment
Insulation resistance testing was not carried out due to the presence of equipment/circuits containing electronic components.

irno Insulation resistance - could not switch off
Insulation resistance testing was not carried out as the supply could not be switched off.

LABELLING

lall Label all switchgear
All switchgear and distribution equipment in this room/area should be fitted with durable identification labels.

lab Label item
This item should be fitted with a durable identification label.

cicp Circuit identification chart - provide
A circuit identification chart should be compiled and displayed at the distribution board.

cicu Circuit identification chart - update
The circuit identification chart should be correctly updated.

cicc Circuit identification chart - complete
The circuit identification chart should be completed.

ciccu Circuit identification chart - complete and update
The circuit identification chart should be completed and correctly updated.

isol Isolate elsewhere label
A suitable warning notice stating, "Isolate elsewhere before removing cover" should be fitted to the front cover.

ref Label supply reference points
It is recommended that all fixed electrical equipment within the installation be labelled with the supply reference point and that all switches etc. are identified as to their function.

sld Single line diagram
A single line diagram of the electrical installation should be compiled and displayed in this area.

char Circuit charts etc
Circuit charts, instructions and similar information should be compiled and retained.

war Warning notices of danger of isolation
If the isolation of a circuit would cause disruption, suitable warning notices should be prominently displayed indicating the implications of a supply interruption.

ENCLOSURES.

ent Blank unused cable entries.
All unused cable entries in the enclosure should be blanked off.

mcbb Blank MCB ways
All unused MCB circuit ways should be blanked off.

edg Edge protection - cable entries
Suitable edge protection should be fitted where the cables enter the enclosure.

gland Cable glands - enclosure
Suitable cable glands should be fitted where the cables enter the enclosure.

bar Missing screens/barriers
The missing insulation screens/barriers from inside the distribution board should be replaced.

trum Missing trunking lids
The missing trunking lids should be replaced.

trul Loose trunking lids
The loose trunking lids should be secured.
SWITCHROOMS
store Storage of materials

The practice of storing materials in this area should be discontinued and all stored materials should be removed.

acc Provide access
Provision should be made for safe and adequate access in this area for the purposes of operation, inspection, testing and maintenance.

emg Emergency light fitting
It is recommended that an emergency light fitting be provided in this area.

mat Rubber mat
It is recommended that a rubber mat to BS 921 is provided.

stc Shock treatment card
An electric shock treatment card should be displayed.
DISTRIBUTION DEVICES.

siz Cable sizing
The protective device for this circuit will not provide overload and/or short circuit protection. The protective device or cable type/size should be changed to ensure that the cable has adequate protection.

loc Local isolation
A readily accessible means of local isolation, capable of being locked in the off position, should be provided.

slev Green/yellow sleeving
The circuit protective conductors within are incorrectly colour coded and should be suitably sleeved.

nid Neutrals - identification
The neutral conductors should be identified to their corresponding phase conductors.
bor Neutral - borrowed
This Distribution Board is being 'back fed' via a borrowed neutral conductor. The circuit should be traced and altered to ensure that all equipment is supplied with a phase and neutral conductor from the same Distribution Board.

rcd RCD - failure of test button
The RCD failed to trip when the manual test button was operated. This RCD should be replaced.
fcm Fuse carrier - missing
The missing fuse carriers should be replaced.

fci Fuse carrier - missing insulation
The missing insulated insert from the fuse carrier should be replaced.
hrc HRC fuse - bridged
The HRC fuse is bridged with wire. An HRC of the correct rating should be fitted.

3mcb 3 phase mcb required
The three single phase MCBs should be replaced with a three phase MCB.

MISCELLANEOUS

scre Screws - missing/damaged from cover

The missing/damaged cover fixing screws should be replaced.

loose Loose item - secure

This item is loose and should be secured in position.

supc Suspended ceiling - loose cables

The cables above the suspended ceiling are lying on the ceiling support grid. All cables should be securely fixed to appropriate supports.

choc Choc block connectors

The open type connection blocks should be securely fixed in position or replaced with in-line crimped/soldered connectors.

sink Sinks - socket too close

The socket outlet near the sink should be repositioned away from the sink or should be protected by a 30 milliamp RCD.

tse Timeswitch - earthing

The timeswitch mechanism should be bonded to earth, using the terminal provided on the right hand side of the base.

ip IP ratings

The IP ratings of the equipment and accessories in this area are not suitable for this environment and they should be replaced with items having a suitably IP rating.

13a 13 Amp adaptors - too much use

There is extensive use of 13 amp adaptors, extension cables etc throughout this area. Additional socket outlets should be installed to supply this equipment.

ban1 Band I circuits - segregate

The band I circuits (fire alarm, data, telephone, etc.) should either be segregated from band II circuits or insulated for the higher voltage.

safe Safety circuits - segregate

Safety circuits (fire alarm, emergency lighting, etc.) should be segregated from other circuits.

firew Fire barrier - wall

The hole where the cable passes through the wall should be sealed with a suitably fire rated material to maintain the fire barrier.

firef Fire barrier - floor

The hole where the cable passes through the floor should be sealed with a suitably fire rated material to maintain the fire barrier.

firec Fire barrier - ceiling

The hole where the cable passes through the ceiling should be sealed with a suitably fire rated material to maintain the fire barrier.

firet Fire barrier - trunking

The trunking should be sealed internally where it passes through the wall with a suitably fire rated material to maintain the fire barrier.

fireb Fire barrier - bus-bar

The rising main bus-bar should be sealed internally where it passes through the floor with a suitably fire rated material to maintain the fire barrier.

Edited: 27 July 2013 at 07:15 PM by jcm256
 27 July 2013 08:23 PM

keithredpath

This is exactly what I am looking for. Many Thanks.

keithredpath
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.