Increase font size
Topic Title: Electrical Accessories 'High Quality'
Topic Summary: For 'High End' Property; Meaning of 'High Quality'
Created On: 23 July 2013 08:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 July 2013 08:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mep

I'm involved in a 'discussion' as to the quality of electrical accessories. The expectation / very brief specification from the customer included that the electrical accessories be "...high quality...". There have been discussions on this forum previously about various makes (old established and newer) of ordinary white accessories, and maybe even a suggestion that one of our established UK names has reduced quality over the years. In my case, however, the 'quality' issue is much more to do with aesthetics. I have stated that provided the socket outlets, etc. weren't non-branded, basement bargain stuff then the quality in terms of function / performance should be OK and paying more money than this doesn't then achieve a higher quality as regards function / performance. However, with regard to the aesthetic side, I guess it's a case of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. For instance, and I'm not criticising this product, Hamilton Hartland accessories have been installed, which aren't particularly cheap and are described on Hamilton's website as 'high quality', yet the customer doesn't agree. Does anyone here have a view on what constitutes a suitable 'high quality' range of accessories?
Thanks...

-------------------------
Regards,

MEP
 23 July 2013 10:59 AM

peteTLM

Its what the customer percieves to be high quality. Metal finish sockets range from £4 to £64 for a double socket (and im sure there are even more expensive ones around)

To me quality = reliability+ aesthetics. Dont know what the reliability of Hartland is like, but from a price perspective they are only just off the bottom of the scale i describe above. I fit loads of them for a particular builder, as for his level of projects, his clients they are fine with them.
The price break point seems to be if they are pressed or cast metal, and some are no better than a bit of pressed tin foil in terms of strength.

But if your working on a million pound property, then i would have thought you would have been looking at Wandsworth, Heritage, and up (ie above £35 a socket).

Plastic accessories are capped at about the £5 mark, but with metal, the skys the limit.

As engineers though, i dont think we should confuse quality with price (we leave that to the customer) as more money doesnt necessarily equal better quality.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 23 July 2013 12:30 PM

Martynduerden

I would be tempted to point them to the British standards, for example, to my knowledge there is no "better" version for higher priced socket outlets.

I think I agree with the heartland comment, look and feel very cheap although they are not.

If the client is set on metal then to my mind it has to be cast, very solid look & feel just choose the brand with care.

Quality for me is not returning to a finished project to replace components.

My brand of choice is Mk logic plus for white plastic & metal clad, as for decrotive I don't really supply them and very rarely fit them.

Aesthetic should not be confused with quality I dislike the Rolls Royce look but there's no doubting its quality throughout.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com

Edited: 23 July 2013 at 12:36 PM by Martynduerden
 23 July 2013 01:09 PM

Legh

Quality appears to mean something different these days.

Quality appears to mean a product manufactured to a recognized standard which will have a life expectancy as described by the specification of design and will pass the prescribed tests to fulfill the standard under controlled conditions.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 23 July 2013 08:55 PM

mossep

Some flat plate wandsworth fittings should satisfy there quality requirements, and make a dent in there bank balance at the same time!

www.mossep.com
 23 July 2013 10:20 PM

antric2

Ask customer to provide his own fittings if spec is other than standard white.
I am sick and tired of showing a customer a brushed steel fitting,they ok it and then when I buy 20 of them they are not happy or changed their minds. Most wholesalers want 15% restock fee on ordered in items so I have give up

For high end jobs and most rewires we use Click as they are,for us. the most robust and reliable for the money item we have used for a few years now.
A good lower priced product is made by Select and are not bad at all.

Stay away from CED,Knightsbridge\MLA and Livvia brands as from experience they are just not good enough and are very unreliable .Fact!!
Regards
Antric
 24 July 2013 11:48 AM

baldelectrician

I would agree with antric

Although I only supply white plastic- I give the client the name and location of my wholesaler and they pick, order and pay up front for any unusual items.

If they say they don't like the look I tell them they picked them, not me- but ask them what they want me to do

If it involves extra labour they have to pay

baldelectrician.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.