Increase font size
Topic Title: Earthing for metallic cladding
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 July 2013 03:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 July 2013 03:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JuanBalza

I have a logistic corridor with both side-walls cover with a metallic sheet to protect the plasterboard. In these walls we have installed surface mounted cleaner sockets which circuits are protected with an RCBO.
I do not think the metallic sheets need to be earthed but I want to confirm if is any Regulation related to this matter?. This would also apply to columns metallic cladding.
Thanks.
 10 July 2013 04:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

The metal would only need to be earthed if it could be classed as an exposed-conductive-part - i.e. it's liable to become live if there were a breakdown of basic insulation. Presumably your sockets housings are the equivalent of either class 1 (earthed metal between live parts and the outside - e.g. metal clad) or class 2 (insulating housing, making the whole thing double insulated), so sheet metal shouldn't be liable to becoming/staying live.

(Just make sure that you haven't used an insulated box fixed with metal screws to the sheet metal in a way that a fault inside the box could make the fixing screws live - most plastic adaptable boxes are supplied with screw caps to insulate the screws from internal faults, but 'standard UK practice' doesn't always seem to take the same precaution with plastic back boxes for standard accessories...)

One thought though - if the walls need metal sheets to protect them from knocks ... is the environment really suitable for socket outlets?

- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.