Increase font size
Topic Title: Opinions please
Topic Summary: Recently built house
Created On: 09 July 2013 09:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 July 2013 09:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

This is a recently completed 3 bed terraced house on a half finished estate that my customer moved into a few weeks ago.

They want a 20 Amp supply installed for a hot tub.

There are spare ways in the CU and the route isn't too difficult.

But, when I opened the meter cupboad on the external wall I was a little surprised to find that the supply cable to the CU (which is in the centre of the house) is a 10mm T&E.

The T&E is fed via a switchfuse next to the meter (I didn't check what size fuse was in it).

I have no idea what route the T&E takes to get to the CU but I'd guess there's a good chance it comes into contact with insulation at some point. I'd estimate the run at about 10 metres.

I'm really not keen to add any more load to this installation and have asked my customer to try and get hold of an EIC from the site manager.

I'm wondering whether 16mm may have been specified but 10mm may have been installed by mistake, or, intentionally to save money.

Any opinions?
 09 July 2013 09:52 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

leckie

In a 10m run it may also have sections less than 50mm from surface and require rcd protection.
 09 July 2013 10:58 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: leckie
In a 10m run it may also have sections less than 50mm from surface and require rcd protection.

Indeed.
Another thing that doesn't seem right about this installation.
 09 July 2013 11:08 PM

sparkingchip

In this situation I have used three core 16mm SWA to end up with a 16mm main earth conductor, have they run a separate 16mm main earth conductor or used the cpc of the t&e?

Andy
 10 July 2013 12:01 AM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: sparkingchip
In this situation I have used three core 16mm SWA to end up with a 16mm main earth conductor, have they run a separate 16mm main earth conductor or used the cpc of the t&e?
Andy

Separate earth conductor, looks like 10mm.
 10 July 2013 06:00 AM

Avatar for redtoblackblewtopieces.
redtoblackblewtopieces

What's the max demand for a 3bed terrace house , with gas central heating and hob , I would say about 50Amps. Referance methord C gives 10mm rated at 64 Amps so if there's a 60A fuse ? . The lack of RCD protection as mentiond already might be a worry but I think should be ok for volt drop with overall size/loading of house. Not the size of cable Iwould have used and why hasn't customer got EIC already ?
Kevin

-------------------------
Safety through a Standard
Compliance by Approved Documents
 10 July 2013 02:34 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: redtoblackblewtopieces
Referance methord C gives 10mm rated at 64 Amps so if there's a 60A fuse ?

............... why hasn't customer got EIC already ?
Kevin

I think ref. method C might be a bit optimistic in this case Kevin.
It's passing through walls and under floors and we don't know what it's in contact with.

I guess the reason that the customer has not received an EIC is that they were not the ones requesting the work, presumably that was the main building contractor.
 10 July 2013 02:38 PM

daveparry1

But even if it is passing through walls and under floors it could still be ref. method C Mike,

Dave.
 10 July 2013 03:00 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: daveparry1
But even if it is passing through walls and under floors it could still be ref. method C Mike,
Dave.

It could, but given the catalogue of problems in the short history of this house I'd be surprised if that much care has been taken.

I feel sorry for the youing couple who've bought it, it's their first home together. The day they were due to move in a pipe above the kitchen leaked which delayed their move for another week while parts of the kitchen were replaced. In the few weeks since they moved in they've had showers with no hot water (shower had been incorrectly installed) sewage coming up through the downstairs toilet and yesterday I found two of the three extractor vents on the back wall of the house full up with loose-fill insulation.
 10 July 2013 04:00 PM

Avatar for redtoblackblewtopieces.
redtoblackblewtopieces

Worked for decades on new build sites with the major house builders and its a shame when things like this happen to people buying
a new house because they believe it will be defect free , back to the EIC these were always given to the new owners by the site manager once legaly completed in their welcome back.
Kevin

-------------------------
Safety through a Standard
Compliance by Approved Documents
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.