IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: position of main protective bonding
Topic Summary: no where near ~600mm...but!
Created On: 08 July 2013 06:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 July 2013 06:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

psychicwarrior

hello to all again

I know similar questions are posted previously, but i would appreciate some more opinion/advice on it please.

Attended a property to find, amongst a few issues, a new-ish boiler installation. All exposed water and gas pipe work and all right above the bath on the 1st floor. All pipe work has been bonded together using 10mm at the boiler and then the 10mm was run from there right down to the basement and is attached to the MET - a run of about 8 metres perhaps.

I spied a card left by the Gas metering folks stating that it appeared the bonding had not been done correctly.

The bonding described above is continuous, been done very soundly etc. I also got a reading at 600mm from the gas meter point (and also from a water pipe as close to incoming as I could make out) to the MET, of 0.01 ohms.

Now I realise the bonding is not anywhere near the ideal location and i appreciate that should inbetween pipe work be altered the bond may be lost.

Given the above, I feel that I ought to add (leave whats done as it is) bonding as close as I can to the incoming service points *, but I ask here..... is it necessary to do , or required by Regs. (i dont remember anything other than guidance at ~600mm or as close as poss.), or can it be left as it is and perhaps backed up by attaching a durable label/notice ?

* although given the situation, it could still be at beyond recommended ideal location

Whats your thoughts.......

Thank you.
 08 July 2013 07:43 PM

perspicacious

"a new-ish boiler installation"

One would like to think that this problem was identified at quotation stage and the client advised of it and made an informed decision........

Regards

BOD
 08 July 2013 08:05 PM

Zs

Hello Psychic,

The regulation you need is 544.1.2 and it does use the words 'shall be made within 600mm' as opposed to 'should'.

Yes, I too would be adding a connection in the correct place and I agree with you in spades to leave the existing. I think I would interrupt the existing journey back to the MET with a crimped joint for a new connection within 600mm of entry to the building and before the first joint, but you'd better see what the great and the good on here argue.....they're not gonna like a crimped joint Depends on the run of the 10mm and if it goes close to where you need it. you might be able to take up some slack and make an unbroken joint.

I like that your 0.01 reading is constant and I see that as an indication that the physics is working. However, in the light of so many stories of injury and worse being caused by lack of correct bonding I would be urging my client to get this done promptly.

Out of interest; how close to the bath are those pipes?

Zs
 08 July 2013 08:37 PM

bak1950

544.1.2 also states where practicable. well is it 'practicable'?
 08 July 2013 10:50 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

geoffsd

Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm.of the meter outlet

OR

at the point of entry if the meter is external.
 08 July 2013 11:14 PM

psychicwarrior

hello all, thanks for the comments so far...

yep - i was aware of the 'where practicable'; its down to that subjective decision of the spark again.

@Zs

hello - yes the pipes..... as close as can be..as in the boiler hangs over one end of the bath by the depth of the boiler; as do the pipes up to it of course!!

it wouldn't please me if i came back to that in my bathroom.

im afraid it would be a separate run of 10mm from MET to near the meter. its still not an ideal situation but do-able if the customer cuts some slack on where the cable has to run. Its all tiled in the area - pipes buried everywhere.... bit of a dogs dinner but i do over-react sometimes lol... especially when i wonder why previous trades and diy seem to make it all that much 'harder' than it needs to be.

@BOD

i agree.. seems talking to the house owner that the boiler was installed under a grant scheme and those that came to do the pipes and boiler did it like that.

oh how about this (though i bet many have seen this a few times) - the end of the 10mm i mentioned was 951'd to the lead sheath of the supply cable - crushing it a little and disturbing the earth fly soldered to the sheath to the point it was loose - the fly having been split and jointed to the 951 too.

well at least it is bonded so no rush.....i'll have another gander at it when ive sorted out what the owner is happy to do.

thanks all
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.