Increase font size
Topic Title: Making plasterwork good
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08 July 2013 06:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 July 2013 06:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dcbjbo

Is making the plasterwork good after a domestic rewiring job normally done by the electrician or does the client have to find his own plasterer?
 08 July 2013 06:34 PM

JZN

Normally a plasterer. Either sort yourself and price into the job or as you say pass it onto the customer.

I do it myself, but I'm good at it. I've seen some poor "making good" by electricians.

John
 08 July 2013 06:41 PM

dcbjbo

Thanks
 08 July 2013 08:25 PM

WalkersWiring

As John says really... I'm very good at making holes!

-------------------------
Regards -

Jerry

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of a cheap price...
 08 July 2013 09:00 PM

slittle

For the same reasons that plasterer's don't do electrical engineering, I get them to do the making good

Stu
 08 July 2013 09:54 PM

Cremeegg

What did you specify in your estimate/quote?

I cannot plaster but know several good plasterers who get some work through me. Clients deals direct with plasterer so if it goes pear shaped its down to the client.
 10 July 2013 09:22 PM

SKElectrical

I tried my hand at brickwork today on an ensuite. Is it usual practice to resort to smearing the mortar on by hand or do I just make a sh*t brickie?
 10 July 2013 09:36 PM

leckie

Originally posted by: SKElectrical

I tried my hand at brickwork today on an ensuite. Is it usual practice to resort to smearing the mortar on by hand or do I just make a sh*t brickie?

I did exactly the same a few days ago:
 11 July 2013 03:46 PM

SherlockOhms

I actually like making good. It's a glory job. There is nothing worse than leaving a job with back boxes chiseled into brick and untidy capping in channels in walls. It kind of makes your job look shoddy and unfinished.

An hour with some bonding and it all looks much better.

I subbed out a re-wire a while ago. When I went to check, the subby hadn't made good and it looked awfull. I Found myself making excuses to the customer.

S.
 11 July 2013 04:06 PM

AJJewsbury

I think that if I were a domestic customer, I'd be expecting that if you made a hole, you'd make it good again afterwards ("the job's not done until you've cleared up" kind of thing) - unless we'd explicitly agreed something different of course.
- Andy.
 11 July 2013 05:34 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: SKElectrical

As an old brickie once told me - if it was s**t you wouldn't use your hand would you - so that's why we have trowels.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 11 July 2013 11:07 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: dcbjbo
Is making the plasterwork good after a domestic rewiring job normally done by the electrician or does the client have to find his own plasterer?

I have it in the quotation, that plastering will be reinstated to within 3mm of the surface, for final finishing by others. That way, I can make the surface slightly concave, guided by a trowel from the sides of a chase in the plaster etc. If pushed, I can do final plastering by following up later after the plaster is hardened, it's easy to skim over to a final finish.

Regards
 11 July 2013 11:22 PM

leckie

Same as Jaymack. Unless its a mate. Then it's same as you but the final coat is easi-fill. Sand it, job done, get the paint brush out!
 14 July 2013 12:05 AM

Martynduerden

I normally do it myself as I'm pretty good a decorating etc (old man was a decorator) the key is not to use plaster (multifinish) use gyproc Easifil 10 or 20, it comes in 12.5kg bags and really is the business as far as fine surface fillers go.

Much cheaper and far superior to the likes of polyfiller.

If you are reasonable it's usually better to fill to 5mm from surface with bonding/hardwall then use easifill as a surface finish.

I did a fairly large house in town recently, the owners had to really look for the chasers and there were mountains of them everywhere!

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 16 July 2013 01:12 AM

antric2

A job has to look good and professional as well as be safe,compliant and work.

When I was shown what Easyfill 20 could do I realised it was was as good as a discovery as was the lettuce spinner that a customer showed me and I wondered with both how I had struggled through life without these 'wonders' until recent years.

Back bond with hardwall and easyfilling over is the way or if customer is having a skim then at least bond the chases.
It can be a great finish wind down from the job and also you can charge a good rate for doing it.
Regards
Antric
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.