Increase font size
Topic Title: Central battery em lighting system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 July 2013 08:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 July 2013 08:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Fm

Building circa 95 done properly em lighting white pyro etc
18 years later and 4 refits less and less lights on the central system more on the local lighting circuit.

To be honest could do with the space, all the lights are maintained so would consider just feed the em lighting db from a spare feeder?

Any issues?
 02 July 2013 09:27 PM

SKElectrical

Sounds okay but far from ideal. But would require every emergency light to be maintained. And the suitability of that depends on the type of building use.
An issue I have is with the maintenance of the luminaires. Those 8W lamps are not very good at all. I try to install LED bulkheads only these days (£30ish ea.) but they might not look so great in maintained mode - but again that depends on the building use.

I can't believe 1995 was 18 years ago.
 02 July 2013 09:45 PM

Fm

The lights are maintained atthe moment.
Just need to upgrade them as theybdont look the part.
I use thorn voyager led fittings look good
 02 July 2013 10:40 PM

SKElectrical

Originally posted by: Fm
I use thorn voyager led fittings look good

Where do you buy them from?
How much do you pay?
What do the LEDs look like? are they lots of SMDs?
 03 July 2013 09:59 AM

OMS

Originally posted by: Fm

Building circa 95 done properly em lighting white pyro etc

18 years later and 4 refits less and less lights on the central system more on the local lighting circuit.

To be honest could do with the space, all the lights are maintained so would consider just feed the em lighting db from a spare feeder?

Any issues?

No real issues from a technical perspective - but I would do a cost benefit analysis.

A good central battery set mantained and operated under optimum conditions would easily give you 25 years of servicable life

To do the same with a load of cheap, nasty, poor quality batteries kept inside warm (or even hot) luminaire boxes will last about 3 to 5 years (if your lucky) - ie you could be swapping out every luminaire battery at least 6 times over the next 25 years

Beyond a certain number (and usually quite a low number) it's far more cost effective over lifecycle analysis to go central battery rather than distributed battery.

Of course, like all these things, we have a new breed of electricians who think bulkheads are the only solution because they are easy to install - and leave behind an appalling cost burden on the client.

Personally, I'd be looking at the cost of a new battery and what's involved in restoring the poor work done to the existing system and returning it to proper function - or at least I'd be examing the cost of both options before recommending a course of action.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 03 July 2013 12:19 PM

CPC

OMS

Beyond a certain number (and usually quite a low number)

How many bulkhead fittings would recommend as a maximum before thinking of moving to a central battery system?

Many Thanks,

CPC
 03 July 2013 01:39 PM

OMS

Well, there are a lot of variables in terms of system voltage and selected battery design life, but assuming new build or major refurb, the last one I did an analysis for was around the 40 luminaires mark (for an owner occupier).

I went through the exercise to reject the contractors claims that he wanted to use self contained units but there was no cost saving to the client.

Obviously to the contractor,there is a cost saving in terms of capital cost - but only to the detriment of the clients revenue cost.

It's not difficult to plot a few curves from an excel spreadsheet to find the specific break even point.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 03 July 2013 05:56 PM

Fm

Im at the stage where those lights that are working have been repaired so many times that they are looking tatty.
Not being responsible for the previous works and trying to standardise fittings across our premises i now think the space this battery system occupies is more valuable.

If the em system remained untouched through the previos works i wouldnt conider replacing it.
The same upgrades also removed bms thermostats, central pc controlled air con etc. Every fabric upgrade was a m and e degrade!

I buy everything from newlec newlec or edmundsons couldnt tell you how much but over 100quid for a self test version.
 03 July 2013 07:45 PM

nick3lords

Why dont you look at nice smart LED Lighting with Emergency Backup - normally only costs an extra £40 - £50 per unit.

Really looks the part and so much better and easier to install than bulkheads or those ugly 8w fluorescents plus they usually last for 4-5 hours on battery power.

Last one i installed in a care home (power cut last week) batteries lasted 13 hours then died! Replace battery packs in several of them and back up and running in less than 1 hour of arriving.

just don't buy the cheap Chinese crap!

Nicholas Owen
Dyfed Electrical
 03 July 2013 08:49 PM

Fm

Read the posts ! Installing thorn fittings not chinese tat.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.