Topic Title: Telephone Master?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 June 2013 09:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 June 2013 09:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MrOther

Hi all, looking at the mess behind my living room TV. Parkay floor. Telephone outlet is surface mounted - lay on the floor kind of surface mounted.

Anyway coming out of the floor/wall is three cables. One for upstairs, another for a spare in the living room.

The one behind the TV seems to be the master, as you take the front plate off the two slave cables going into telephone socket, the other goes into an internal socket, the front plate has an internal socket, and so when you put the front plate back on they marry up.

When this internal socket is disconnected the signal is lost to the phone.

Therefore, logic dictates that this is the master.

My question is I want to change the position of the telephone outlet. Does this, as it is the master, have to undertaken by a BT technician.

Second question, is if I can do this work, what proper connectors are aviable?

Many thanks as always.
 29 June 2013 10:03 AM

peteTLM

what your looking at is probably an NTE5. The customers wiring is IDC terminated on the front plate, that then plugs into the back main socket. Its the back part that the incoming line is terminated into, A and B, usually 2 small pozi screws.

Just take a picture of what colours they have used for the incoming line, and what one is A and B. Im sure you can work out how to work it out. The line up to the master socket is theirs, so just dont mess it up or you'll be looking at at £130 visit charge to fix it if it doesnt work once you've touched it.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 29 June 2013 08:37 PM

Cremeegg

Look on TLC's website they give all the wiring details you need - usually terminals 2 & 5 from A&B on the master socket. Easily moved just be careful with how old the incomer from BT is - likely to be old and brittle. Use a new socket with ADSL filter in it for your broadband - no more dongle filters at each socket outlet which can slow things up. Use a DECT phone into the master with slaves everywhere else. No more wires, no more problems.
 29 June 2013 09:27 PM

DOUGIE1000

I have moved bt master sockets. Easy job lads.

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 29 June 2013 09:57 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alancapon

Originally posted by: Cremeegg
. . . Use a new socket with ADSL filter in it for your broadband . . .

Alternative front-plates are readily available for the NTE5s, which split out the broadband and the telephone. That way, you can use the high quality filter, and still use the socket installed by BT.

Regards,

Alan.
 29 June 2013 10:48 PM

dickllewellyn

I was always reluctant to mess around with the BT side of the master socket with stories of fines and punishments, but that changed on Thursday when I visited a client. They had asked BT to come and move the cable between pole and house for an extension to be built. The helpful person on the phone line explained the costs involved, and that perhaps the nice man would be able to do the work himself and save some money!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 29 June 2013 11:02 PM

MrOther

Thank you all, once again. It is much appreciated.

For extending the Master Cable what would you prefer:

These splicing joints/lugs and heat shrink then placed in the wall:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/...ce-terminals/2393988/

OR:

This Joint Box:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPJB1.html

I'm not sure whether r not the joint box is consider non-maintenance and so the first option is my gut instinct preference.
 29 June 2013 11:08 PM

MrOther

Originally posted by: peteTLM

what your looking at is probably an NTE5. The customers wiring is IDC terminated on the front plate, that then plugs into the back main socket. Its the back part that the incoming line is terminated into, A and B, usually 2 small pozi screws.

Just take a picture of what colours they have used for the incoming line, and what one is A and B. Im sure you can work out how to work it out. The line up to the master socket is theirs, so just dont mess it up or you'll be looking at at £130 visit charge to fix it if it doesnt work once you've touched it.

Pete, I'm not sure how the pairs and colours work per core, but I've noticed a couple of cores are not used, is it wise to extend the cable with like for like or use a less no.'ed cored cable?

As for the call-out, before committing the joint to the wall for plastering I'll do a dummy test.
 30 June 2013 03:17 PM

M.Joshi

Strictly speaking, the main BT socket and all the wiring up to it is owned by BT Openreach. So like an electricity or gas meter, you aren't really allowed to move it:

http://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/...neer-gives-his-advice/

That said, plenty of people have done so without notifying their provider!

Just bear in mind that in some cases they may keep a record of where the main entry point is for the house and should a BT technician have to visit at some stage, they can often tell if a non-BT Openreach person has moved or extended the wiring to the main socket.

They may then charge you for this.

M.I.E.T - Forfeited this due to The I.E.T's ridiculous membership rules!
 30 June 2013 04:11 PM

Rulland

Had a BT engineer attempt to tell me that something in the house was causing the line problem and it was thus chargeable-until I told him there was no 50 volts on the incomer-strangely then the problem was apparently from one of their boxes 100 yards down the road!, I did tell him that as an intruder alarm technician I am used to working on BT lines!.
Tried to imply that a £140 charge would be levied prior to my challenge.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 30 June 2013 07:20 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: MrOther

Thank you all, once again. It is much appreciated.

For extending the Master Cable what would you prefer:

These splicing joints/lugs and heat shrink then placed in the wall:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/...minals/2393988/

OR:

This Joint Box:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPJB1.html

I'm not sure whether r not the joint box is consider non-maintenance and so the first option is my gut instinct preference.

yes thats the crimps you need. You dont have to have the calibrated pliers, combination pliers will do fine for the 2 or 3 you have to do.

6 wire is the norm.

The JB is fine, and a better bet than just plastering the joint into the wall.

01 July 2013 09:39 PM

MrOther

Sorry are you saying you'd plaster the JB into the wall as preference?

Why's that? Out of interest, what's your gut/way of thinking of this choice?
 01 July 2013 10:38 PM

Fm

My prefernce wouldbe to use a standard flush 1 gang box and extend all the cores tomthe new destination.

A blank plate covers the joint but allows access, looks better than a bt joint box.

If at some point things change back, the old position can becomethe master again and no one is the wiser.
 01 July 2013 10:55 PM

peteTLM

No i certainly wouldnt plaster it into the wall, but you did say : These splicing joints/lugs and heat shrink then placed in the wall:

as fm suggests, a blanked box would be ideal

02 July 2013 04:35 PM

MrOther

FM and Pete -

The cable comes out of the parkey floor, a littlest stub on the corner of the wall, next to a conservatory door. To put an accessibly box there would be to be put a box where the skirting is and be lucky to get cable there.

As I say I think the cable used to run externally and then years and years back when I was a boy and we had a conservatory done, the trades just pushed what they could round the wall and left the surface mounted box floating on the floor with the cores hanging out.

Of course, if your idea is to have a blanked out behind the skirting, the cable may not reach with the outter sheath but the long cores might. Guess I could plaster a back box into the wall with exposed cores protected by some plastic conduit and have the surrounding area filled in expanding foam - then what you suggest would still be on the cards as such, if anything needed looking at I would have to remove the skirting and access from there.

?????

Once again thanks for your thoughts and advice,

PS I'll try upload a picture.
 02 July 2013 05:16 PM

AJJewsbury

How about one of these http://www.telephone-wiring.co...x-bt16a-black-77-p.asp outside and a new length of cable (e.g. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Ma...le_External/index.html ) run to wherever you like?
- Andy.
 02 July 2013 10:16 PM

MrOther

">http://postimg.org/image/jjx69ppv9/

As you can see the cables come out from the wall from behind the door frame.

(The new plaster you see is merely where we've had the skirting removed and because of the age of the house, as opposed to modern surface-mounted skirting, this skirting attactched to wooden studs of lathes with lime plaster marrying up flush.)

What you can see is two radial spur-offs and make out one the cores to the bare master cable..

Edited: 03 July 2013 at 09:00 PM by MrOther
 03 July 2013 09:07 PM

MrOther

">http://postimg.org/image/jjx69ppv9/

As you can see the cables come out from the wall from behind the door frame.

(The new plaster you see is merely where we've had the skirting removed and because of the age of the house, as opposed to modern surface-mounted skirting, this skirting attactched to wooden studs of lathes with lime plaster marrying up flush.)

What you can see is two radial spur-offs and make out one the cores to the bare master cable..
 03 July 2013 09:13 PM

peteTLM

can you not undo the socket pull the cable back to the outside world and then bring through a new hole somewhere else and bettter suited.

They dont keep records of where these things are put.

03 July 2013 10:06 PM

MrOther

Originally posted by: peteTLM

can you not undo the socket pull the cable back to the outside world and then bring through a new hole somewhere else and bettter suited.

They dont keep records of where these things are put.

Negative. Finished room.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Telephone Master?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.