IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Shaver sockets
Topic Summary: Guidance on old style ones and compliance??
Created On: 18 June 2013 06:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 June 2013 06:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BrucieBonus

Hi everyone

Did I imagine it, or was there an article in Wiring Matters in the last year on this topic? I can't seem to find it, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful

thanks

BB
 18 June 2013 06:56 PM

OMS

Spring 2008

Shaver supply units
The minimum degree of protection for
equipment installed in zones 1 and 2 is
IPX4 or IPX5 where water jets are
likely to be used for cleaning purposes.
An exception to this requirement is a
shaver supply unit complying with
BS EN 60742 Chapter 2, Section 1,
which, although it does not meet the
requirements of IP4X, is permitted in
zone 2 but must be located where
direct spray from showers is unlikely.
This type of shaver supply unit, which
incorporates a safety isolating
transformer, is the only type which is
permitted in a bathroom or shower
room.

It's the safety isolation transformer is critical - it must have the BS EN compliance

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 18 June 2013 07:00 PM

BrucieBonus

Wow - thanks OMS for speedy reply.

The shavers look pretty old (1960's maybe). I didn't remove them yet to check but not hopeful of finding a BS no. They do have an on/off switch on them. Will check tomorrow for transformers

thanks
 19 June 2013 09:42 AM

OMS

No Drama - a number of types existed - some werer just basic flat 2 pin outers off a lighting circuit,some had a step down transformer for the 100V side, some were centre tapped transformers to give 2 x 110V legs so you could have 110V across the the iner and one outside pin or 220v across the two outer pins.

In each of the above, the transformers wouldn't usually achieve a suitable degree of isolation if tested. (or more correctly they might well do, but were never tested)

If it's that old - swap it out (or suggest it anyway) for a BS EN 60742 compliant unit.

Or save a few polar bears and tell the client to buy a wikinson sword, a shaving brush and soap - the eco solution for legs and chins

Regards

OMS

20 June 2013 11:19 AM

BrucieBonus

thanks OMS

Took a closer look yesterday - they did have a transformer and 240V with a switch. The BS no is 3058 (1958) so I'm guessing they don't comply???

The back boxes are not the same size as modern ones, so I can't just swap it out unfortunately. Might be a razor blade job!
 20 June 2013 11:36 AM

impvan

The back boxes are not the same size as modern ones, so I can't just swap it out unfortunately.

I had a couple of dozen of these in a hotel a few years ago. Chopping out the 1930's Vitrivine tiled walls (listed...) wasn't an option!
I found that the gubbins in Volex shaver units fitted in the odd backbox. Then had FocusSB use the Volex inserts on a stainless faceplate of the appropriate size.

Once fitted they looked like they'd been there forever.
 20 June 2013 11:54 AM

BrucieBonus

impvan - many, many thanks for that - you've probably saved me hours of searching!! Bet it wasn't cheap though... this is a domestic so they might decide to just get rid
 20 June 2013 04:22 PM

OMS

BS 3052 I suspect

Even way back then, the transformer was supposed to be constructed so there was no possibility of connection between input and output windings.

If it has BS 3052 marked on, then I'd be inclined to say it does comply even with BS 7671 Section 701 - just that the green bumper book of fun doesn't look back at withdrawn standards for equipment.

It should have an earth terminal fitted that connects the incoming CPC to the transformr core and earthed screen - lots of them didn't have an earth though as they were connected up from unearthed lighting circuits.

The standard also specified the mounting box and the minimum clearances from the guts to the box walls when fitted.

If it's an EICR, I think worthy of a comment that it doesn't meet BS EN 60742 but that it did meet a previous standard (provided it has a CPC of course).

Other than that, I think you have a reasonable case to leave "as is" - (if that helps your cause of course - and polar bears notwithstanding )

Regards

OMS

20 June 2013 05:56 PM

BrucieBonus

OMS - you're a star! There was a lot of dust in the back of it....!

CPC all present and correct. Will make a note on the cert, but customer will be very happy (as is the case for most shaver sockets they are used for electric toothbrush charging)

Many thanks for your assistance

BB
 20 June 2013 06:24 PM

OMS

There was a lot of dust in the back of it....!

Isn't there always - ohh, what a 2 and 8 it was

Regards

OMS

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.