Increase font size
Topic Title: Otis Gen 2 Lift Lights
Topic Summary: Relamping
Created On: 18 June 2013 12:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 June 2013 12:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Vikko

Firstly, I,ve not been on this forum for a very long time so hello everyone.

A property manager that has just taken over a block of flats asked me to repair a faulty light in an Otis Gen 2 lift, they don't know if there is a maintenance contract for said lift in existence. Had a look, couldn't work out how to get at the tubes, was hoping someone on here might know. The control panel/facia runs top to bottom of the car with a full length plastic diffuser either side for the 6ft tubes. I thought they might just prise off but have given them as much force as I dare to no avail. Obviously i'm not a lift engineer, just a sparky but I thought i'd ask before recommending the manager contact a lift engineer.

Thanks in advance. Tom.
 18 June 2013 12:58 PM

Ricicle

We have some lifts where the lamps can only be changed from above. This means only the lift engineers can change them as our procedures prevent us from entering the lift shaft.

-------------------------
Empty barrels make the most noise.
 18 June 2013 04:25 PM

OMS

I think the Gen 2 has a triangular pattern key at low level on the car operating panel - that allows the whole of the CoP to swing out at the bottom and then unhook at the top - from there you can get at the lamps.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 18 June 2013 07:52 PM

Vikko

Originally posted by: OMS

I think the Gen 2 has a triangular pattern key at low level on the car operating panel - that allows the whole of the CoP to swing out at the bottom and then unhook at the top - from there you can get at the lamps.

Regards

OMS

Thanks for that, I didn't notice at the time but i'll have a better look tomorrow. There is a small hole in the CoP about a third down from the top and it looks like there's a torx screw in there but it's not quite torx, wondered if that might be it but needs a special tool.

Regards
Tom
 19 June 2013 10:01 AM

OMS

Yep - I think that's it - as you can imagine those nice chaps at Otis don't want just anyone playing around with thier lift - so they use obscure screw patterns to keep people out.

In a previous life, we used to swap them out to allow the client maintenance team to do simple tasks without calling in the lift supplier.

Suggest to your client that lifts do need proper maintenance (and formal inspection) - he needs to go and Google for LOLER - ignore any hits for The Kinks

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 19 June 2013 12:27 PM

jcm256

I agree with the above said comments, because Otis mostly services the GeN2, they might not like others interfering with their service contract even if only changing a lamp. (Other companies can do a maintenance contract but at what costs for parts). Certainly, the independent CP carrying out the thorough statutory Loler regulation 9 inspections would have marked this defect down on the report. Anyhow with a GeN2 you wont be able to wander up to the machine room to illuminate the maintenance spanner on the REM because the GeN2 is a machine room less lift, and the REM box will be located at the top of the hoist way which is not accessible to untrained personnel? The lift may talk to you via the REM if you are interfering with panels holding the door open. What will you reply be, changing a lamp, that will be logged by otis. Are you also going to fill in the log card, better not Otis may walk off the site. GeN2 is different from other traction lifts in that it has flat-coated steel belts than conventional ropes. Because the controller is located in the hoistway. The E & I panel is beside the top-landing door on the landing. I would assume that changing a lamp with the lift at the top floor you would open the E & I panel with the emergency landing door key and turn the lockable main switch to the off position. However, as stated more or less in other above posts do not stick your neck out on the line for anyone. All this thread for changing a lamp, don't dabble any further on lifts, dangerous without training.
Good luck
jcm

Edited: 19 June 2013 at 08:15 PM by jcm256
 20 June 2013 08:14 PM

jcm256

Did you get that faulty fluorescent tube changed yet, forget to mention that occasionally (rarely) some lift owners get a tube removed as they can't stand bright lights burning in the lift car when not in use. Some other lifts the lights time out after a set time when the lift is not in use. Emergency light is most important and has to be checked 6 monthly.
Otis REM is (Remote Elevator Monitoring). Lift = Elevator in America. The spanner button on this device is to let the remote monitoring know maintenance or inspection is in process, button reset after work carried out.
Sometimes owners do not realise they loose this REM device when changing maintenance contracts. But you still need two way commutation in lift car so yours could be another system. Just thought would clarify the above post.
jcm
 22 June 2013 12:54 PM

Vikko

Thanks for the advice, which I have taken and suggested the client contact the lift maintainer. I made the original post just on the off chance that lamp replacement might be something simple, I don't fancy getting into an argument with a lift REM.

Regards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.