Increase font size
Topic Title: sky+ in multiple rooms
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 June 2013 11:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 June 2013 11:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

beaver74

Greetings

Pricing up a new build that needs 7 sky+ feeds through out. now I normally don't get these jobs. obviously I will be using satellite quality ct100 and keeping clear of mains cable. but my question is how are these systems wired.

I know sky +needs 2 coax's
but do these:
1 go to a central device and get spit from there.
2 go around the house on a daisy chain
3 need a separate coax from the LNB 20 each point (there a 7 in total)

any help would be most welcome
Beaver
 17 June 2013 12:36 PM

sparkiemike

It is going to spend on how many sky+ boxes the customer will want and where they will be located?
 17 June 2013 01:04 PM

mnspark

If you intend to install seven sky+ boxes within the property then you may be better off installing a multi-switch in a suitable location, this would then only require 4 cables to be taken to the dish position.
 17 June 2013 01:16 PM

AJJewsbury

It is going to spend on how many sky+ boxes the customer will want and where they will be located?

Agreed. Some want to 'slave' bedroom TVs from the sky(+) box in the font-room (using magic eye remote controls) - in which case the main box needs 3 co-ax cables - two from the dish and one UHF to the bedroom. If they do have sky boxes all over the place then they'll probably need a phone line there too. Some of the latest boxes & smart TVs need a network connection for 'catch up' TV & other internet based features too.

My current policy is to run 2x co-ax and 2x CAT5 (or CAT6) to each TV position, with 2 extra co-ax to the main 'front room' all back to a central location where they can be patched to suit whatever requirements - the co-ax can then be used for a feed from dish or terrestrial aerial (via suitable distribution amps if needed), or UHF backfeeds to other rooms, the CAT5 (or 6) can be used for network or phone line now, and probably video later.

- Andy.
 17 June 2013 01:18 PM

perspicacious

I'd be inclined to ask the builder for his nominated sky installer and get in writing from the builder (via his sky guy) what the sky guy requires as far as cabling is concerned, then price it.
That way, if it is found that there is a cable deficit and your 2nd fix £ is being withheld from you, you have some ground to stand on.......

Regards

BOD
 17 June 2013 03:13 PM

beaver74

thanks guy, at this point the only info I have is a drawing with sky+ marked in various rooms. I have only got details from the builder as he is the point of contact.. seems there are to many variable here to price the satellite install just hope not pricing it does loss the job.
cheers
Beaver
 17 June 2013 03:15 PM

beaver74

Originally posted by: mnspark

If you intend to install seven sky+ boxes within the property then you may be better off installing a multi-switch in a suitable location, this would then only require 4 cables to be taken to the dish position.

just for reference would there then be 2 coaxes run to each position from the central multi-switch
 17 June 2013 03:58 PM

mnspark

Originally posted by: beaver74

Originally posted by: mnspark

just for reference would there then be 2 coaxes run to each position from the central multi-switch

Yes, it would require two coax runs to each position. And as mentioned above usually a phone line and maybe a data connection.
 17 June 2013 04:06 PM

perspicacious

"thanks guy, at this point the only info I have is a drawing with sky+ marked in various rooms. I have only got details from the builder as he is the point of contact.. seems there are to many variable here to price the satellite install just hope not pricing it does loss the job."

I'd price the electrical part of the job and add a PC section with your proposed sky install (based on what info you're getting from here) detailing say: 2 coax plus 1 cat 5 into each room from a common point and 4 coax to roof void with 10 m on each spare not forgetting to exclude dish and outlets so that you've got your foot in the door. If successful, you can then get more details about the sky element and review your PC price.

Regards

BOD
 17 June 2013 05:56 PM

Thripster

Is there a wireless option if each TV has a wireless adaptor?

Regards
 17 June 2013 06:07 PM

statter

don't forget Cat 5/6 cables for internet access required on newer SKY HD boxes.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.