IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: House empty...meter needs a key to put electric on..where do you get the key?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 May 2013 09:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 May 2013 09:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Evening,
I have ajob at a house where all the electric is off because the meter is the type that needs a credit key.The key is missing so does anybody know how and where to get one.
There is £5.18 showing on the meter but when blue button pressed then nothing happens.
Help please.
Regards
Antric
 16 May 2013 09:09 PM

SKElectrical

The journey you are about to embark upon will turn your hair grey.
Go to the corner shop and tell them you want to buy some electricity, I'm sure they will pull out the stops to get your money.
 16 May 2013 09:27 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: SKElectrical

The journey you are about to embark upon will turn your hair grey.

Go to the corner shop and tell them you want to buy some electricity, I'm sure they will pull out the stops to get your money.

Hiya SK,
luckily I am as bald as a badger but tell me more about the journey because If it is abackwards and forwards job then I will get the estate agent to sort it
 16 May 2013 09:59 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: antric2
... If it is abackwards and forwards job then I will get the estate agent to sort it

What you waiting for??

Make them work for their money for crying out loud!

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 16 May 2013 10:50 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: stateit

Originally posted by: antric2

... If it is abackwards and forwards job then I will get the estate agent to sort it

What you waiting for??

Make them work for their money for crying out loud!

I would if they were open at night!!

Hang on a minute here!!!! Am I missing something or have I asked a stupid question here.
I have found out I need the key at 7pm this evening and i want to start the job with electric tomorrow so help if you can or dont bother but i get the jist that it is a ball ache of a procedure to get the key.
Ok excuse me for being ignorant about the key......I know nothing
 16 May 2013 10:58 PM

typiod

You will need to find who the supplier is to start and go from there, it wont be easy and I cant see you getting a new key tomorrow. Also the £5.18 showing could well be a debt, you really need to get the meter reset .
 16 May 2013 11:07 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: typiod

You will need to find who the supplier is to start and go from there, it wont be easy and I cant see you getting a new key tomorrow. Also the £5.18 showing could well be a debt, you really need to get the meter reset .

Thanks for the reply ,Typiod.
From your answer,it appears I could end up on the phone all morning trying to find out whats what so, now, I can make a decision to pass the buck back to the estate agent and rearrange the date.

It only appeared I might be dithering because until I had some facts then sometimes a decision to sort a problem out myself or pass the buck cannot be made so again thanks for your help..
regards
Antric
 16 May 2013 11:14 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

If you can find out who the supplier is get the client to ring them for an 'RTI code' (tag number) this will be entered on the system and maybe required by the payzone retailer, and they should tell you the nearest payzone retailer that stocks blank keys for immediate use.

p.s. There is no charge for the key but you may have to put on the key a min of £10 or £20, but no worries goes on your bill.

p.p.s. You can do the same for Gas cards as well, when I was with Devon we needed to take over some houses from private landlords for social tenants whose war time houses we were knocking down and rebuilding with new, and it was common for people to do a runner with the key and the card out of spite and what we used to do is contact the energy supplier for a code and then send the contractor, cleaner or whoever to the local payzone retailer that stocked keys and cards.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 16 May 2013 at 11:48 PM by rocknroll
 16 May 2013 11:31 PM

antric2

It certainly will go on the bill if I get involved.
Thanks for the info RnR
Regards
Antric
 16 May 2013 11:41 PM

sparkingchip

If there is an outstanding debt to clear it could have built up during the void time, I have seen £230 put into a meter to get the electric back on.

I would opt for telling the agent or owner to get the power back on unless you are happy to potentially be adding several hundred pounds onto your bill for sorting it out.

Andy
 16 May 2013 11:54 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

If we are talking about a key meter £230 would be over a very long time when the standing charge would automatically go on the meter every quarter during no electricity useage, with a key the pennies for the standing charge are included each time the key is charged up, the £5.18 the op refers to is probably the emergency credit that most keys have.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 17 May 2013 12:04 AM

sparkingchip

The meter may have been installed due to a outstanding debt with a portion of each top up going to clear the debt to a predetermined schedule, hence if no credit has been added for some time the debt owing has accrued and may need settling.

You need to go through the meter and check the details.

Andy
 17 May 2013 01:06 AM

SKElectrical

There are alternative methods, none of which I endorse.
 17 May 2013 01:58 PM

geov

Do tell...or pm me, I'm intrigued!
 17 May 2013 02:29 PM

anastasis

Originally posted by: geov

Do tell...or pm me, I'm intrigued!

You've heard of the fuse fairy - rumour has it that she has a sister, the meter fairy.... just don't let on that I've told you
 17 May 2013 10:30 PM

sparkingchip

There's the new debt ridden meters as well, courtesy of the Green Deal, you could find thousands of pounds in debt attached to the meter
 20 May 2013 11:55 AM

AJJewsbury

...or dead tests only and hire a generator for your own needs?
- Andy.
 20 May 2013 06:49 PM

patt2

Or give next door a drink to plug your extension in and keep the tea coming. The other route is a waste of time and money.
 21 May 2013 12:43 AM

aargeitakis

Hi Antric,
you have to call 0845 6030618 and give them the address and they will tell you, who is the supplier and the contact number for it.
Before you call the supplier you must have the meter serial number and all the readings from the display in hand. To get the readings you have to keep pressing the blue button on the meter. (A.., B.., C.. etc)
They have to come back to you within 24 hours and give you a 8 digit code.
Normally they will tell you where is the nearest shop, where you can get a new key and you activate it by the 8 digit code. The british gas new key is suitable for all suppliers(Npower etc)

Regards

Paul
 21 May 2013 02:39 PM

ebee

Well I knew a subcontractor who gotaround thisin the days when they were cards (rather looked like train tickets).
He had a card meter at his home (didn`t like getting nasty surprise of a bill).
He told the main contractor he needed £40 worth of cards to clear the debt and get the electric back on for all trades (no one had a Genny).
So his main contractor paid him £40 cash and he went to the electric board shop and bought the cards for his own meter but put them in the site meter instead.
Result - the £40 came off his own bill - the £40 cards allowed the site to get power - the main contractor was out of pocket and never queried it.

Apparently a lot of shopkeepers around here did the same in those days and never got done for it because they claimed it not to be a deliberate fraud and just innocent ignorance of how the system worked.

The poor old customer paid the shopkeeper a £1 for a ticket, got £1 of electric but it did not deduct £1 from his own bill but from the shopkeepers account (the shopkeepers were buying £100s at a time). That`s why those little cards got stopped.

Same way a lotta pensioners got scammed when the national lottery first started. Gangs were getting lottery payslips free of charge and selling them to pensioners for £1 each. Rotten Gits.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.