IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New TT supply, More earthing questions.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 May 2013 11:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 May 2013 11:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Energent

Hi All,

We have a new TT supply going into a new Barn which will have a 50kW PV array on the roof. I've been pretty much exclusively involved in PV at a domestic and small commercial level for the last 3 years seem to have forgotten most things about everything else.

I'd just like to run through my current interpretation of the regs for TT supplies and section 705 and ask that I be put right if astray.

705 requires a 300 mA MP RCD, and a TT supply Can have this if the Ze is <167ohms reliably. The TL inverters can cause nuisance tripping on any more sensitive RCD's so 300 is what we have to aim for at the intake. We can then have 30mA's on the socket outlets etc. downstream.

Pretty much everything in the vicinity should be bonded back to the MET if livestock are going to be present. The building is not intended for livestock but it cannot be ruled out long term.

All accessories should be IP44 or better, guessing this includes switchgear etc.?

That seems to be the important stuff from my point of view.

e
 16 May 2013 03:57 PM

AJJewsbury

Sounds about right to me. As your inverters are transformerless, you might need B-type RCD, unless the manufacturer can confirm that the construction of the inverters are such that d.c. fault currents can't be fed into the mains.

Presumably it's a G59 rather than G83 setup (as it'll be over 16A/phase) - so you'll have DNO involvement in the particulars of that.

- Andy.
 17 May 2013 07:36 AM

Energent

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

The inverters don't require a type-b, i'm yet to use one that does.

The DNO have designed the new supply for a 50kW feed so it's just a case of doing the G59 notification after the install, nice and simple(fingers crossed)

Do you know a supplier of TT earthing lattices?
 20 May 2013 05:38 PM

AJJewsbury

'friaid not - someone here might though.

What's the barn's construction? ... just wondering if it's steel framed that the frame/foundations might make a decent electrode.

- Andy.
 20 May 2013 07:18 PM

anastasis

Originally posted by: Energent

Furse or Speedwell
 20 May 2013 08:49 PM

slittle

With a well driven (maybe extended) rod or two I would of expected to get a reasonably low reading on a farm unless you are on rock.

Barn legs can be good but other times are next to useless if the concrete pads are near the surface.

Stu
 20 May 2013 09:46 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alancapon

Originally posted by: Energent
. . . new supply for a 50kW feed so it's just a case of doing the G59 notification after the install, nice and simple . . .

If you are lucky. Often with G.59 on the larger systems, there will be a degree of site specific parameters, and the DNO wishing to witness that the inverter will operate correctly according to the settings.

Regards,

Alan.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.