IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any thoughts on purchasing through this source of LED?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 May 2013 03:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 May 2013 03:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JesseConant

Has any one purchased led lights from china as referral?
As I get towards the pointy end of my house building I am getting very short of dollars and am looking to save where ever I can, the prices on this site are very cheap compared to the LED downlight prices here in Australia. To tell the truth the down lights I was looking at from a well known Australian online store appear to be imported from China ( I have seen the same lights online in China) so why not import them myself. I am not having a go at the Australian industry but I need to save some dollars or go without lights [:-(] Any thoughts on purchasing through this source.
 15 May 2013 09:44 AM

KFH

In my limited experience LEDs are a minefield. I have not tried direct importation, I have enough problems buying from my local wholesaler and I have not been going for the cheapest. One of my customers gave up on the ones I was supplying, two out of three were failing after 15 months in his existing fittings, as he could get Philips LEDs from internet suppliers for not a lot more than I was charging. I will now only fit the ones from known large suppliers with appropriate guarantees. Many LEDs look the same but the quality of the control components inside appears to be crucial with many failing after 12 months or less often due to poor heat dissipation.

If you import direct you will get the cheapest price but you also take the risk on quality, it all depends on how high your risk vs price threshold is.

Good luck
 15 May 2013 09:55 AM

AJJewsbury

You might be interested in this Wiring Matters article: http://electrical.theiet.org/w...rfeiting.cfm?type=pdf
- my reading of it is that there's "made in China" (outsourced by reputable companies, with some degree of proper design, quality control and checking) and there's "made in China" (complete bodge - might look (very convincingly) like the real thing, but is 'unbelievably cheap' for a very believable reason).
- Andy.
 15 May 2013 03:48 PM

Richard64

Buy from a reputable manufacturer. Most will give a 5 year guarantee.
And try to get samples before you buy, or at least check the lumen output. They are not a like for like item with regard to Wattage.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.