Increase font size
Topic Title: 17th edition exam
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 May 2013 10:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 May 2013 10:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

charles0155

Hi guys.
I have 16th edition qualification with over 18years experience as a maintenance electrician in various sectors including building services, steel manufacturing and textile. I stopped working for 2 years and now its impossible to get a job as almost all employers are asking for 17th edition or PLC experince. Is there any place i can just sit for the exam since i have been practicing from home with my notes and books.

Thank you
 14 May 2013 10:09 AM

vesuvius

Most colleges who would offer the 17th edition update course will want you to sign up for the full course and pay your exam fee.

The only suggestion I could make, and I have done this for some of my friends is if you know any college lecturers ask them to just book you in for the exam when their class is sitting it. Im actually doing this for two guys next month.

Its a long shot I know. but educational stablishments want bums on seats. Maybe where you live their may be some establishments who will just book you the exam, I am not aware of any such places.
 14 May 2013 10:22 AM

microy

Charles
There are plenty of test centres where you can take the exam only. The prices vary from about £30 to about £100. Google 17th edition. Exam only. (Or similar).
Mike.
 14 May 2013 10:49 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

I looked at this recently for an ECS card - I was told that C&G had changed the rules and that it had to be a course plus the exams - exam only wasn't possible.

That'll be fun !!

If you do find someone who'll do exam only - even if it involves a contribution to the biscuit fund - then do tell

regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 14 May 2013 11:47 AM

SherlockOhms

Training Logic 4

1 Rowdell Road
Northolt
Middx
UB55QR

0845 845 7222

£120 I think. Multiple chance. 2 hours.
If necessary you can sign up for on-line course at Learning Lounge.

S.
 14 May 2013 11:51 AM

microy

Oms
I think that only applies to the upgrade from 16th to 17th.
Mike
 14 May 2013 01:01 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

I've got a 16th ticket and a 2391 - bit dated now.

I needed a 17th qual to get my ECS card reinstated - but everywhere I've asked, I've been categoricaly told that i have to do the course (up to 3 days) before I can do the exam - ie no exam only.

as you can imagine, that's a bit of a bugger considering my day job

Thanks Sherlock - I'll give them a bell

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 14 May 2013 01:08 PM

Thripster

Try Trans-Euro Engineering in Towcester.

The guys there had been hands on - I think a couple may have left now but worth a shot.

Regards
 14 May 2013 02:07 PM

geov

Originally posted by: OMS

I looked at this recently for an ECS card - I was told that C&G had changed the rules and that it had to be a course plus the exams - exam only wasn't possible.

That'll be fun !!

If you do find someone who'll do exam only - even if it involves a contribution to the biscuit fund - then do tell

regards

OMS

Absolutely not the case - it's just training/exam centres boosting their coffers by insisting that you do the course first. I did the exam only route last year, but suspect the centre is too far from you to be of any use!
 14 May 2013 02:24 PM

rocknroll

Look for the term '17th Edition Revision' course we managed to arrange one for 11 personnel incl: supervisors and a manager, the day revising and on the computer at the end, everybody passed.

You must know Clarkson Evans perhaps they will allow you to sit in for the day and on the computer at the end.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 14 May 2013 02:25 PM

rougediablo

I've got a 16th ticket and a 2391 - bit dated now.

I needed a 17th qual to get my ECS card reinstated - but everywhere I've asked, I've been categoricaly told that i have to do the course (up to 3 days) before I can do the exam - ie no exam only.

I was in the same boat holding 16th & 2400. I also needed 17th to get ECS reinstated as mine expired in 2008 & I didn't renew it. All the local colleges wouldn't do exam only so I ended up on an evening course & exam at the end. The only way they would allow you to sit just the exam was if you failed having done the course.

Oh & I also had to do the complete waste of time that is the ECS H&S course despite holding a NEBOSH Cert (which no longer exempts me as it's more that 3 years since I did it) before I could send the foirms off

On the upside the ECS have cashed my cheque so the new card must be on it's way to me
 14 May 2013 02:40 PM

vesuvius

Originally posted by: SherlockOhms

£120 I think. Multiple chance. 2 hours.

If necessary you can sign up for on-line course at Learning Lounge.

S.

£120 is quite expensive. we charge £125 for the full 16 week course with exam fee.

the exam registration fee is something small like £30. if your stuck I suppose you would have to pay it.
 14 May 2013 03:07 PM

Pacific

I have mentioned this before, the ECA will let you sit the exam only if you are a JIB gold card holder it is run by EAL (EMTA awards Ltd), it might be worth contacting EAL direct if you do not have the magic card
 14 May 2013 03:20 PM

tattyinengland

I sat the exam only a couple of years ago now, at

http://learningacademyuk.com/

These guys are based in Croydon, London. Very easy, very organised. I don't remember it being very expensive - £30-£50? I was in and out in no more than an hour maybe.

I am not a JIB anything either.......unfortunately still got to do the NVQ3 before they'll give me one of those cards..........
 14 May 2013 05:52 PM

circle143

After taking time out due to other study commitments -Earlier this year I found myself having to take my 17th edition exam. I decided to do the exam only and I prepared by finding past exam papers that are available online and by reading this forum. As it happened I was the only person doing the exam on this particular day and the result was issued almost immediately
 14 May 2013 10:13 PM

leckie

I hope you can find the exam only option OMS. If you revise really hard you should pass.
 20 May 2013 06:14 PM

B67BU

That'll be fun !!
regards
OMS

Give me a call,should be able to sort you out no probs.

Why don't you rock down to Electric Avenue (Birmingham B6 7BU) And then we'll take you higher.

B67BU@ElectricalTraining.co.uk

21 May 2013 09:55 AM

marclambert

Blatant advert but.
If you're in the South West try DCET Training. Of course we will do exam only but on a " don't blame us if you don't pass " basis. Which is pretty unlikely as all the answers are in the book aren't they?
Regards
Marc
PS Centres in Exeter and Camborne
 01 June 2013 01:58 PM

gizmo

I needed a 17th qual to get my ECS card reinstated
OMS

Are you sure you need 17th edition? document checklist says proof of 17th edition, if held- not that you must have it.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.