Increase font size
Topic Title: Renault Trafic vans / Maintenance
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12 May 2013 11:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 May 2013 11:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tomgunn

EVR Cleaning....

This was a great link, re; Prophet ), for this forum!! If you have one of these Renault Trafic types of vans thats a few years old then it's a must you do this!!

What the link shows you is how to remove and clean the EGR but it's a bit wrong. It states that you pull the solenoid section off first and then withdraw the valve part. What you actually have to do is to remove the whole ensemble as the solenoid and the valve are actually secured together with some sort of open rivets so its not possible to withdraw the solenoid only.

So, what to do, and you should really do this for a better running van!!

My son went off to Tener-grief for a week and left his Renault Trafic 1.9 van here - so I had four days off of work and washed / T cut / wash n polish the whole van and tidied up everything. Went to do a service and the engine was jumping all over the place, like a bag of nails it was.

Changed the oil / filter / air filter etc. then I thought I'd go for this EGR thing and was a bit worried even though I have stripped down two twin overhead cam / 4.2L Jaguar engines and that didnt phase me but this is my sons van. Anyways, what to do.....

Remove engine cover; remove air filter; remove the right hand side screw retaining the air filter box, ( leave the left hand one ), pull box to the side so you can gain access to the bottom bolt on the EGR, ( web link says you cannot do this with a rachet set, but you can ), when I could see all of the three bolts I found that the bottom one was missing!! So air was getting in, poor workmanship!! Undo the three bolts, ( if they are still there ), and tap quite hard around the EGR with a hammer until you can see a gap opening on the top of it. Get a small terminal screwdriver and start to tap this with a hammer until the gap starts to open, a bit tricky, it will take a bit of effort to remove the whole unit and make sure that you are tapping behind the second flange and not the first one!!

After a struggle you will be able to 'wiggle' the whole unit out and it'll be filthy!! Wear gloves. Place the unit on some cloth and then remove the 3 open type rivets that hold the two sections together and throw them away / buy some carburetor cleaner and spray the solenoid area thoroughly and clean with a rag also check the valve section too for carbon build up!

Put a small piece of rag, ( inside where you have removed the valve from ), as theres a hole at the bottom and then get an old coat hanger and bend to shape as theres loads of lumps of carbon inside to the left of the opening and also the walls of this are covered in it too!! The small piece of rag prevents any carbon falling down and theres a hole behind as well. Get your finger as deep inside the left hand side and scrape all carbon off that you can reach even spray a bit of carburetor spray in there.

You now have several options...........

1 replace the unit as it was before.
2 reverse the solenoid 180 degrees so that it doesn't operate anymore,
........( this appernatly will save you even more money on diesel cost per gallon ).
3 buy some blank plates for the valve off of Ebay... or
4 buy a new unit.

When I started the engine up again, well and WOW... it ran like new and sooooo smooth as well and I know it will be better with the diesel as per MPG!

I would have turned my sons EGR around but I thought I'd leave it as it was.

My son told me that as he was driving up the A217 and accelerated he looked in his mirror and watched as the car behind disappeared in a massive cloud of black smoke and the engine coughed and spluttered and then ran fantastically. So I'm pleased for him. So, if you have these types of vans then do it!

-------------------------
Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 12 May 2013 11:11 AM

tomgunn

Injectors;

Now I read up a lot about these vans and one problem kept coming up and it was the injectors that have a tendency to block up and, apparently, it's a pig of a job. I couldn't really see why this should happen and I encourage my son to put some injector cleaning solution into the tank. Anyways, the conclusion that I have come to as to why this happens is because, could be wrong - dunno, the diesel pump is made of aluminium and this wears away. Theres some sort of magnet along the line but as this will only pick up metal deposits the aluminium obviously gets passed and as the pump gets older it sheds more and then will actually break up completely and then it could also be a case of replacing the diesel tank as its almost impossible to clean it and then the injectors are blocked as well. I didnt realise how big the pump is and it costs around £400 and its not worth buying a second hand unit.

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

12 May 2013 11:11 AM

tomgunn

Gearbox;

These have a tendency to fail, but why? Apparently they seem to be under engineered / not quite right for the purpose of / light commercial even read a car gearbox - not 100% sure on this. Seems strange but thats what I have read. Anyways. It's a PK6 type and I would recommend changing the oil and note, its not the 'ep' type it has to be sae 75/80, ( TRX ), and as it seems that the gears don't get covered by the oil, ( the main issue on the traggig gearbox is its oil delivery to the gear shafts! 1st 6th reverse are on the same shaft at the far end and due to its design its the last for lubrication ), thats what I have read, then theres an additive called 'Lucas comma oil stabilizer' and this will make somewhat like honey and so sticks to all of the gears and rods etc.

Its not an empty and fill until it overflows job. Nope, bloody French, ( sorry granddad! ), you empty and then you are supposed to buy a special dipstick from Renault to check that the oils at the right level inside the gearbox but you can make one up using an old coat hanger, ( how can any self respecting sparks live without an old coat hanger - I dont know!!!???? ), and the gearbox holds 2.4L of this oil so get it right. This is my next job to do on my sons van.

Good luck!

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Edited: 12 May 2013 at 11:18 AM by tomgunn
 12 May 2013 11:15 AM

tomgunn

Just felt this would be good for some owners of these Renault vans....

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

12 May 2013 01:29 PM

stateit

Well done Tom!

It'll be a similar setup for my 1.5l Kangoo...

Guess who I'll be blaming tomorrow morning when I'm still staring at that one bolt that's left over....

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 13 May 2013 08:11 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: stateit

Well done Tom!

It'll be a similar setup for my 1.5l Kangoo...

Guess who I'll be blaming tomorrow morning when I'm still staring at that one bolt that's left over....

Errrr - let me guess - ..... me? Hahaha ... I always get the blame!

Go for it, it'll be well worth the effort!

Ok - time to emigrate!

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

13 May 2013 04:36 PM

rocknroll

Is this not similar to the countless arguments on here about the great unwashed DIYers and non-competent people doing electrics, that bolt could cause serious injury or even death if it causes something to fail, oops!!! in the next four minutes someone will be seriously injured or die on our roads and every four minutes thereafter.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 14 May 2013 10:12 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: rocknroll

Is this not similar to the countless arguments on here about the great unwashed DIYers and non-competent people doing electrics, [IMG][/IMG] that bolt could cause serious injury or even death if it causes something to fail, oops!!! in the next four minutes someone will be seriously injured or die on our roads and every four minutes thereafter. [IMG][/IMG]

regards

Hello RnR. Not too sure what you mean -, ( excuse me if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick!!! ), perhaps you are suggesting that DIY people doing 'tradesmans' work? If so I think that most DIY'ers would do a better job than a lot of 'professionals' TBH. I have employed dozens of 'electricians' and worked on the largest sites both employing them and also working / usually made up to the foreman, ( ruffling lots of feathers along the way - sorry about that!! ). On many occasions I have given rollickings to these so called 'electricians' and sent loads off of site too, ( and some were sent back!!! So I gave up on those electrical companies that wouldn't listen and a few of those companies went bust in the end when I told them that I could have made them a lot of money - honey, but like most of these companies, they are horrified at sub-contractor making a decent wage even though I would have made them lots and lots of money.

What I found is that most good DIYers are scared of making mistakes. This prompts them to do it even better than it should be done making a safer job. Now, how many of you, and me, out there have had poor workmanship completed on your vehicle? I know I have, and I have pretty much done all of my vehicle works - stripping down jaguar engines, ( its only nuts and bolts - and the use of the persuader, commonly known as the hammer ), anon.

I have seen better DIY electrical works than some of these so called 'electricians' that are supposed to know what they are doing but I also realise that wherever you go there will be good and bad workmanship.

It really is the luck of the draw and when I have young lads working for me I always encourage them along the way, and they appreciate that side of me and also teach them to take their time and do it right the first time - and like posting this item on this forum I would encourage them to do their service and know, and get great satisfaction, that they have done something worthwhile and saved a few pounds. Point in question; I took my Jaguar estate in for a service, only to keep the service manual up-to-date and get a better price when I come to sell it, and I reluctantly asked them to change the gearbox oil and add an additive to make a smoother gear change. I say reluctantly as I never know what they'll get up to and will they actually put the additive in? This was only a few weeks ago, and what I found when I got back home was oil dripping from the gearbox and so I took it straight back and they cleaned it up and no leaks, I even gave them, stupidly, a fiver tip! What I reckon happened was that they filled the gearbox and then realised that they hadn't put the additive in and so tried to do this only for this to overflow. A couple of years ago I had my Mitsubishi L300 van in as I couldn't get the gearbox drain plug out as it was solid and wouldn't budge. The garage couldn't make the plug move either with the van up on the ramp and so what did this garage do? They put a torch on to the plug and as I saw this I stopped them and told them that there were rubber bloody seals all around that area. Eventually I got the thing off, so there ya go - you cannot trust anyone and therefore if you do the works yourself you know thats its all done correctly!!

So, if anyone wants to do this work then I think I have spelt it out quite clearly, it aint rocket science so I would also encourage you to do it to your van / vehicle!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards... Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Edited: 15 May 2013 at 06:18 AM by tomgunn
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.