IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Single element immersion, two supplies.
Topic Summary: packaged solution
Created On: 11 May 2013 02:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 May 2013 02:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

unshockable

Old style, 2 meter, 2 board setup. I bought a Horstman 7 thinking it would be configurable. Although it does a single element it only does a single supply. At the immersion I have nighttime and daytime supplies.

I can imagine a dual box with a horstman E60 boost connected to a modified segment timer doing the job but as the microswitch is single pole I would need to twin the neutrals which will make them "borrowed"; I know this is dangerous.

Can anyone think of a way to insert a DPDT relay into this or better still a packaged solution? I have a double pole isolator for the element.

A "dumb" single DPDT 3 position switch would be better than nothing but I can't find one.

Thanks for any ideas.

Simon

Edited: 11 May 2013 at 02:22 PM by unshockable
 11 May 2013 02:25 PM

Richard64

Is there only one element in the tank, Simon?
If so, just use the 24 hour supply and set the clock on the controller to switch at eco 7 times.
Unless I've musunderstood your question.
 11 May 2013 02:30 PM

alancapon

The easiest option may be to use either a Horstmann E7BX or a Horstmann BX2000 controller. These take two separate supplies in, and can be configured for either a single element or a dual element immersion heater. Details of these are available on Horstmann's website.

These give priority to the off-peak supply and allow boost options from the 24 hour supply when the off-peak supply is not available.

Regards,

Alan.
 11 May 2013 02:35 PM

Richard64

I've got an E7BX with two elements.
The E7, as I can make out, has a clock and a boost override.
So just do away with the economy 7 supply and use the 24 hr one. All the electric's at cheap rate during the night. Or are there 2 separate meters. In that case get the board to fit a dual tarrif meter, then you can do your washing at night too. (I got that from the 'How to ***** off your neighbours' book ;-)
 11 May 2013 03:10 PM

unshockable

Thanks all. The E7BX bought and paid for! When I got to this job to fit a storage heater some joker had connected both supplies together at the dual box at the immersion! It fed back from the day to night side.

Dodged a bullet on that one. Safe isolation every time, haven't been so surprised since some other joker had put some fuse wire under a BS3871 wylex breaker.

Thanks
Simon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.