Increase font size
Topic Title: Employee fire training
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 May 2013 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 May 2013 09:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DOUGIE1000

Hi all,

did a sign up contract health and safety policy with a new start yesterday and one of the questions threw me a little and made me wonder.

The question was regarding fire safety/training. Now as everyone else, our works is carried out in clients premises, domestic building sites, commercial and occasional industrial locations.

What are we employers entitled to provide for fire safety, if I'm 100% honest we provide PPE, first aid kit and a diesel spill kit in all vans (diesel spill kit part of contract for windfarms). However nothing for fire, ie fire blanket or fire extinguisher or ANY type of fire or first aid training.

Were Scotland law so might be different.

Our health and safety document only says to find out fire exits and procedures from client when arrival on site but nothing much more.

Extract from our H&S policy "(b) General Fire Safety

The management is responsible for ensuring that he is familiar with fire escape routes in all the areas and buildings in which work is being carried out by personnel. He will monitor where personnel are working and be responsible for assembling them in a safe area in the event of an emergency evacuation. Any personal/employee or sub contract that is unaware of these emergency accidents should make there concerns know to client, management, site supervisor etc. No personal should not be working in an area that an emergency escape route or procedure is not known."

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 10 May 2013 10:14 PM

slittle

Our vans have fire extinguishers along with the usual collection of PPE and first aid.

I'm sure we done it because of remote unmanned sites (pump houses etc) but to be honest I cant't remember this time on a Friday.

Stu
 10 May 2013 10:46 PM

dlane

All our company vehicles are equippped with a basic first aid kit and small fire extinguisher. Any person driving on behalf of the company would also have driver safety training.

All employees receive a basic 1/2 day first aid at work training and 1/2 day fire fighting training. Some then go on to do the full 5 day first aid training and fire fighting / rescue training. These are all refreshed as required.

We tend to expect a contractor coming to our sites to have basic first aid kits and look after themselves for minor bruises and cuts etc and just report the incidents to us. For more serious incidents our first aiders will provide assistance, for example our sites have defibs and trained users, we wouldn't expect a contractor to have their own defibs.

For contractors working on their own we would provide first aid facilities for them and tell them where to go if they need assistance.

If a contractor carries out hot works on our sites then we would expect them to have the fire fighting equipment applicable for that work, to be trained in its use and provide the fire watch etc. However, they are only expected to put out small fires and should evacuate like everyone else if they think they are becoming endangered or unsure of the situation.

All contractors are expected to follow the site evacuation procedures in the event of a fire and they are instructed on these when they turn up to site. Should it be required, our own staff would re-enter the site with the fire fighters, we would not expect a contractor to provide assistance.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.