Increase font size
Topic Title: Broadband over mains
Topic Summary: Not working in one room
Created On: 01 May 2013 01:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 May 2013 01:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JZN

Anyone got any experience of the system whereby you pug your router into a socket outlet and then you can use the mains to distribute the broadband signal around the sockets?

Just been to see a customer who uses this system as they have a big house with lots of thick walls and wireless does not work well.

For some reason they can't use the system in the kitchen sockets.

I know nothing about how this works. Is the signal only available at the sockets fed from the same circuit as the router is connected to? If a property has two consumer units, will the signal get to all socket circuits on both units irrespective of where it is plugged from?

Any tips appreciated.

John
 01 May 2013 03:17 PM

mawry

I believe it has to be the same ring final circuit.
 01 May 2013 03:40 PM

AJJewsbury

I'm guessing, but would presume they work on a similar principle to the old over-the-mains intercoms - i.e. a high frequency signal superimposed on the mains 50Hz. So capacitors or inductors will probably play havoc with the signal - e.g. filters in kitchen appliances. I can't really see a simple fuse blocking the signal too much, so it's probably not limited by our concept of a circuit, but perhaps the coils inside MCBs and perhaps RCDs would block the signal.
- Andy.
 01 May 2013 07:04 PM

sparkiemike

I don't have a lot of experience but can state the following

They work across different circuits on the same phase (never tried it across different RCDs though)

The do not work across different phases

The do not work very well if plugged into any surge protection power strips

I have noticed on mine that sometimes I get good bandwidth indicated 3 green lights and other times for no apparent reasons I get poor bandwidth indicated by a red light - never been able to work out why?
 02 May 2013 07:26 AM

statter

Bigger properties have more wiring in them. There is capacitance in this wiring and because it is longer in big houses the capacitance is greater. This will drastically reduce the signal and make mains signalling ineffective on some circuits.

I have had good success in older properties with thick walls using wireless range extenders. Netgear make one that works well with their wireless broadband router. Basically these give as many transmission points as you have extenders so you can normally get coverage with two or three.
 02 May 2013 07:56 AM

ebee

I do remember intercoms had to be the same phase.
Is that a possible problem with yours?

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 02 May 2013 04:46 PM

haguetim

These things have a bad reputation. It's much better to run cable in. They continously draw current from the mains, the performance is highly dependent on the local environment and they are radiators of interference to not only the short wave spectrum but as high as Band 3 and can interfere with DAB.
Really nasty technology.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.