Increase font size
Topic Title: Loft insulation!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 April 2013 09:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 April 2013 09:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Westonelectrical

Has anyone yet been in a loft with with 3ft of insulation, it's getting ridiculous to work up there these days, had to price for a up lights Rewire today, womans had it done 3 times in last year and half
 29 April 2013 09:19 PM

Fm

Got 500mm myself in the loft.
No daft holes bursting the buiding fabric though
All cable entry points sealed to avoid air infiltration.
 30 April 2013 09:29 AM

AJJewsbury

It's about time the wider construction industry had a re-think about service spaces. Ideally all services (not just electrics, but water & heating pipes too) should be entirely inside the thermal & airtight envelope, not hopping in and out of it willynilly. Insulating the underside of the sloping roof, rather than loft-floor, would be one way. Battening out the top ceiling (& outside walls if timber frame/SIPs) before plasterboarding to create a 20-25mm service void would be another.

As insulation (primarily for sound) and underfloor heating become more common we're going to have to find alternatives to the traditional British practice running cables and pipes in the loft and under floorboards. I've seen some German diagrams showing their 'safe zones' which seem to include a horizontal band between ceiling and door top level - oddly enough, I've just discovered during renovations, almost exactly where we installed the gas lighting pipes in Edwardian times!

- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.