Increase font size
Topic Title: NIC NAPIT or ELECSA ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 April 2013 11:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 April 2013 11:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

synapse

I used to belong to the NIC about 5 years ago but have been doing other things. I now wish to return to a life of changing consumer units and domestic wiring so need to register.

I do not have any affinity to the NIC and felt they were picky and unhelpful; have they changed?

Is there any consensus on which is the least onerous part P scheme ?
Also I was given the impression my 2391 qualification is out of date now; is this correct?

thanks

Edited: 26 April 2013 at 11:28 AM by synapse
 26 April 2013 12:30 PM

mikejumper

Why bother, there's not much that needs notifying now and CU changes are a pain in the b*tt.
 26 April 2013 12:44 PM

daveparry1

No, your 2391 won't be out of date, there has been a newer (watered-down) version but the original 2391 still stands,

Dave.
 26 April 2013 01:17 PM

mkmike

NIC and Elecsa are now in bed together under the guise of the Electrical Safety Register/Certsure. All the latest blurb from them is that they will run as seperate entities for the next 18-24 months then who knows!!!!!!

NAPIT are cruising along still (and have the ElectricSafe Register)

There are of course the outsiders and much cheaper (so I believe) such as STROMA, but who cares if it is just simply for part P notifications. (I'm elecsa myself)

Either way the NVQ3 requirement is now starting to get strongly pushed as being the minimum for new QS's so you best get hoping on the bandwagon sooner rather than later if that is the way you want to go.
 26 April 2013 03:13 PM

Cremeegg

NAPIT the best of a bad bunch in my experience.

NIC QS system is badly flawed as Emma Shaw's family know only too well. And as for NICEIC ESC all being a "charity" just don't get me started!

NAPIT assessments far more pragmatic than the dogmatic NIC ones where I always had the feeling that they were trying to trip you up.
 26 April 2013 03:30 PM

daveparry1

I've never felt that way during niceic assessments Cremeegg, and what point would there be in them trying to trip you up? (apart from a chargeable re-visit I suppose!)

Dave.
 26 April 2013 06:10 PM

Legh

I think it is all down to the assessor you get. Some assessors were known as 'Mr No-pass', but i think times have changed slightly.

Mine have been very good, treat you with respect and provide lots of helpful advice, where needed.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 26 April 2013 10:19 PM

leckie

Well I'll tell you a secret. I once threw an niceic assessor out of my office! He started going on about a lack of the latest amendment of some guidance note. Whereupon I lost the plot. I explained that there were lots of local niceic contractors that's were total *****, and all he was concerned a out was a bit of paper! But I'm still in the niceic and the Eca. The Eca are IMO super. I'm a bit concerned they will go downhill now they are in bed with the niceic.
 27 April 2013 05:54 AM

synapse

Thanks for responses - sounds like nothing much has changed in last 5 years then.
 27 April 2013 06:53 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: synapse
I used to belong to the NIC about 5 years ago but have been doing other things. I now wish to return to a life of changing consumer units and domestic wiring so need to register. Is there any consensus on which is the least onerous part P scheme?

If just registering for a part P scheme, implying domestic work; NAPIT is probably the cheapest and perhaps preferable, since most houseowners don't give a hoot about the different schemes. Where insurance companies and others get involved, for any electrical work in domestic and commercial premises, there may be a blinkered preference for the NICEIC, since they have been around longer, and with a larger market penetration, mistakenly thinking that they are superior.

Regards
 29 April 2013 08:45 AM

zeeper

No, your 2391 won't be out of date, there has been a newer (watered-down) version but the original 2391 still stands,

easy , having done the 2394 and 2395 plus loads of 2391 past papers I would have prefered to have done the 2391. If you compare.

2394 + 2395 = 1 online exam, 2 practical exams, 2 closed book written exams.

Total amount of examination time about = 12.5hrs

2391 = 1 practical, 1 closed book written

Total amount of examination time about = 6.5hrs

the impression my 2391 qualification is out of date now

I heard some talk about this, which was in relation to the new EICR, as this did not exist when you did the 2391.

However The JIB dont care, which you have at the moment.

I suspect that the scams maybe more interested in if you have a NVQ3. (QS)

As I think you grandfather rights have slipped.

Edited: 29 April 2013 at 08:58 AM by zeeper
 29 April 2013 12:13 PM

synapse

2391 is replaced by 2394 & 5. Perhaps 2392 is watered down test and inspection qualification ?
 29 April 2013 09:24 PM

Ampman

Just had my first assersment by the napit inspector ,

Ive had 8 years of niceic assessments .

Napit were very helpfull in the assessment .

No difference really in either assessment prob napit one harder but maybe i had a off day monday morning etc...

Would recommend napit ,

cheers
 29 April 2013 09:24 PM

Ampman

Just had my first assersment by the napit inspector ,

Ive had 8 years of niceic assessments .

Napit were very helpfull in the assessment .

No difference really in either assessment prob napit one harder but maybe i had a off day monday morning etc...

Would recommend napit ,

cheers
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.