Topic Title: MK sentry product recall
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 April 2013 02:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 May 2013 03:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Thripster

Yes. Found one today on a site I was being assessed at. Had all the paperwork - tried to call switch exchange on customers site (though paperwork advises customer should do this) to minimise customer interference. Needless to say was advised there would be a charge and then a voife recorded message explaini g options - couldn't be botheredxas assessor and customer waiting - said I would sort when back in office. Went to switchexchange site - filled in form and got a confirming email that they will contact me - don't want them to contact me - want them to contact the customer pronto and swap the thing out.

Regards
 02 May 2013 07:08 PM

alanblaby

I've had a number of conversations with them this week.
One I've swapped as it was local, the other is a hour away. They want me to inspect it before sending me a new switch, even though it was bought in the same batch as the other one.
They offered 20 socket outlets to check it.
Then another 30 socket outlets to fit the new one.
I've refused to do it, as I have no use for MK S/Os.
They then offered me £35 to check it.
And another £40 to swap it.
I declined again, that would cover the petrol, and give me £50 for around 5 hours work (driving there/back and 1 hour to swap it).

So they are going direct to the customer.
 02 May 2013 07:36 PM

goldenboy1818

How are we to know what ones are dodgy as you dont know how long fuse boards have been sat on the shelf at the wholesaler etc
 02 May 2013 09:01 PM

Cremeegg

Goldenboy - its an easy job to pop the front cover off and read the number code on top of the main switch - much easier than the Wylex recall where numbers were on the side of the MCB's.

Not just Screwfix - one I've found was one I bought from TLC who had them on offer - TLC normally expensive for MK gear.
 10 May 2013 08:35 AM

Thripster

More on this. I reported the details using the switchexchange site on 02/05/13. Received a call on 8th from a man that was very hard to hear. (Sounded as though his phone was on loudspeaker and that 100 people were wrapping presents in the back ground). Explained the difficulty in hearing but I did manage to make out that he was asking me to go to the customer to check the switch to see if it were faulty - if I did that I could choose to receive payment in cash or goods. I explained that I had already been to the customer, established that my customers CU had one of the faulty switches and had reported it on the switchexchange website. He said he was unaware of this, would check and then hung up. So I do not know whether/how/when I will receive payment. Because of this, I phoned, this morning, the number given on the Switchexchange web site - "Nuffin to do with us Gov - you need to phone Assosia on 07587 637836 or contact MK@Assosia.com".

I phoned the number and a recorded message states that the offices are closed until Tuesday 7th - not much use unless you have a Tardis. So I have sent an Email and await their response. Will update when I hear more.

Regards
 10 May 2013 08:43 AM

John Peckham

I was in my local WFs this week and saw they had the recall notice on display on the front counter.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 10 May 2013 03:10 PM

Thripster

OK - so have now received a phone call from Assosia as a result of my Email asking whether I choose the payment or stock options (20 double sockets on inspection and a further 30 on switch swap out). Make sure that if you opt for the payment option you aim high. The caller said that I would receive an Email, which has duly arrived, as follows:-

Thank you for agreeing to re-visit your customers to conduct the inspections of the MK products you have installed from the 1st October 2012.

To confirm the actions & steps discussed on the telephone with our representative, we have outlined what is required below:

Arrange to visit each customer that has had one of the listed products installed, and inspect the MK Sentry 100A Switch Disconnector
Check the date code on the MK Sentry 100A Switch Disconnector and if it is one of the following it will need to be replaced as a precaution = 'L1231', 'L1232' and 'L1245' ONLY - see appendix for details
If the MK Sentry 100A Switch Disconnector does not have one of the listed date codes, complete the Inspection sticker and put this on the consumer unit
Complete the Installation Inspection and Replacement log, ensuring you record the 8 digit code from the Inspection sticker on the form and get the customer to sign it. We will send you the Installation Inspection and Replacement log and Inspection stickers shortly.
Return the completed Installation Inspection and Replacement log with a copy of the original Test Certificate to:
MK Switch Exchange
c/o Assosia
Suite 3 Ripon House
35 Station Lane
Hornchurch
Essex
RM12 6JL
If the MK Sentry 100A Switch Disconnector has one of the listed date codes, contact the MK Switch Exchange Team on 01708 444840 and we will send you a replacement switch
Once the replacement switch has been installed, complete the Installation Inspection and Replacement log, ensuring you record the 8 digit code from the Replacement Installed sticker on the form and get the customer to sign it
Contact the MK Switch Exchange Team on 01708 444840 and we will arrange to collect the completed Installation Inspection and Replacement log with a copy of the new Test Certificate and the faulty switch.
Once all the required actions have been completed and all necessary paperwork has been received, we will process your payment via BACS.
Appendix
How do I determine 'date codes'?
Switches - visual check of physical product inside carton, see figure 1 below

Invoicing MK
Invoices must be made out to Novar ED&S LTD quoting ref: B2263-C and case ref number

You must ensure you include on this invoice your bank name, address, acc no, sort code and VAT number

Novar ED&S LTD
The Arnold Centre
Paycocke Road
Basildon
Essex
SS14 3EA

Needless to say, the fact that I have already filled in the details and recorded the fact that I have a switch meeting the criteria has passed them by. So the details require me to phone the MK switch Exchange team to request a new switch, which I have just done. They said that the person I needed to talk to was busy, asked for my details (including address) and said that they would call back. A few minutes later, I received a call from Assosia who asked me for my details and said that they would send a switch out. I asked why the disconnect between the web form to switchexchange and themselves - they did't know and have not got access to the switchexchange information.
 10 May 2013 05:42 PM

perspicacious

"Return the completed Installation Inspection and Replacement log with a copy of the original Test Certificate"

"a copy of the new Test Certificate and the faulty switch"

Are they asking for copies of the installer's EIC for the original DB install and then a copy of the next EIC for the work of swapping out the switch?

Regards

BOD
 10 May 2013 06:54 PM

Thripster

Sounds like it.

Regards
 10 May 2013 07:17 PM

sparkingchip

So we are going to have to have a new column on our installation certificate test result sheets so that along with the switch, RCD or MCB BS number rating and type details we can also record all the manufacturers batch codes for the devices as well.

Andy
 10 May 2013 07:31 PM

OMS

You'd do that in the operation and maintenace manuals forming a part of the Health and Safety file for the job wouldn't you ?

regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 10 May 2013 07:43 PM

Thripster

They will not be getting a second EIC from me.
 10 May 2013 07:49 PM

Thripster

Well, I have asked them to elaborate on the phrase ' New test certificate'. I may sue them for more compensation depending upon their definition if this.

Regards
 10 May 2013 08:25 PM

sparkingchip

Who's paying for the main fuse to be pulled? They aren't expecting it to be swopped out live are they?

The codes would need to be on a searchable database.
 10 May 2013 08:31 PM

perspicacious

"Who's paying for the main fuse to be pulled? They aren't expecting it to be swopped out live are they?"

Send them a copy of the bill ("for pulling the main fuse") you had to pay when you did the initial wiring of the DB

Regards

BAD
 10 May 2013 10:11 PM

Thripster

Fortunately, as with all work of this type and where necessary, I had gotten the customer to arrange for an isolator to be fitted before I commenced work. So that should stop the 'pulling the main fuse' monitors in their tracks - shouldn't it?

Regards
 13 May 2013 08:50 AM

Thripster

Have received definition of 'New test certificate' and it is simply a copy of the EIC that was issued at the time the CU was installed. Think I can live with that.

Regards
IET » Wiring and the regulations » MK sentry product recall

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.