Increase font size
Topic Title: Radio linked smoke alarms
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 April 2013 08:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 April 2013 08:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chunk522

Hi all
I am currently in the process of first fixing a converted garage with a extended room above it, the architect as speced mains smoke alarms to be included in the new room above the garage, the existing ground floor and the existing 1st floor. I dont want to go into great detail about the existing house but the interlinks are a impossibility to the 1st floor and a small possibility to the existing ground floor.
My questions are can I use mains powered radio linked smokes? do they comply with 5839 ?
If so as any one else used them what did you think and any recommendations on manufactures

Many thanks
 23 April 2013 08:22 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: chunk522
My questions are can I use mains powered radio linked smokes? do they comply with 5839 ?
If so as any one else used them what did you think and any recommendations on manufactures

I don't know what 5839 is.
If it's a domestic property I don't see why you can't use radio linked smokes. You can use a combination of hard wired and radio linked if that suits you.
My preferred manufacturer is AICO. www.aico.co.uk
 23 April 2013 08:40 PM

chunk522

Hi Mike 5839 part 6 is fire detection code of practice for design and installation in a dwelling
Sound perfect If you can use a combination as thats propably what I will need.
I just needed some feed back as I have never had to use radio linked its always been wired interlinked
 23 April 2013 09:14 PM

DOUGIE1000

Radio links are pretty good but at the cost of them plus smokes I have only used them about 2 times.

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 23 April 2013 09:50 PM

leckie

You can use radio link alarm equipment and the equipment does comply with BS5936 part 6 if installed correctly.
 23 April 2013 09:55 PM

tillie

Hi , the Aico radiolinks are a dream to use.

I do not usually use wireless devices and I try to aviod things that have to be programmed.

I have been forced a few times in the last few months to use the radiolinks and they are so easy to set up .

Just the press of a button will house code the alarms and I have yet to have a single problem.

Regards
 23 April 2013 10:00 PM

chriso

AICO all the way, great product and really helpful customer support.

You can mix wired with radio linked, unlike the awful BRK system I've just had to add to.

Chris
 23 April 2013 10:01 PM

gel

23 April 2013 10:25 PM

SKElectrical

the architect as speced mains smoke alarms to be included in the new room above the garage, the existing ground floor and the existing 1st floor.

Just because the architect has speced it for bedroom, doesn't mean you need it as per BS5839, only required to protect escape routes (although I install in kitchens and living rooms). Architects over-spec everything.

the interlinks are a impossibility to the 1st floor and a small possibility to the existing ground floor.

Impossible?
RF bases are very expensive so save money by interlinking all detectors on ground floor (hard wiring between them), and do the same for the first floor. Now you only need 2 radio frequency bases - one on each floor interlinking ground to first wirelessly.
Bare in mind that the RF bases are huge and ugly. Buy one from screwfix and show it to customer with the detector mounted on it. RF is a last resort.

Use AICO

23 April 2013 10:32 PM

DOUGIE1000

Originally posted by: SKElectrical

the architect as speced mains smoke alarms to be included in the new room above the garage, the existing ground floor and the existing 1st floor.

Just because the architect has speced it for bedroom, doesn't mean you need it as per BS5839, only required to protect escape routes (although I install in kitchens and living rooms). Architects over-spec everything.

the interlinks are a impossibility to the 1st floor and a small possibility to the existing ground floor.

Impossible?

RF bases are very expensive so save money by interlinking all detectors on ground floor (hard wiring between them), and do the same for the first floor. Now you only need 2 radio frequency bases - one on each floor interlinking ground to first wirelessly.

Bare in mind that the RF bases are huge and ugly. Buy one from screwfix and show it to customer with the detector mounted on it. RF is a last resort.

Use AICO

Oh good idea about only using two RF bases.

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 24 April 2013 10:03 AM

prophet

They AICO ones are great.

Although i worked out, i could spend the morning trying to hard wire between two detectors, before the labour cost would equal two RF bases.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.