Increase font size
Topic Title: working in france
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 April 2013 04:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 April 2013 04:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamesrussell

hoping to buy a property in France apart from everything else it will need some of the electrics bringing up to scratch I have been told and I can see the evidence that an electrician did some work but would not sign off the old stuff.
My question is would I be able to sort the electrics and sign of as a fully qualified chap someone over there said I may be able to get my certificates translated.
anyone out there that could help !!!
 22 April 2013 10:39 PM

jamesrussell

No one out there with any knowledge of working in France
 23 April 2013 08:45 AM

jj4091

23 April 2013 01:58 PM

tomgunn

I've been doing a lot of building / electrical works for my daughters house in France but I dont think that that is what you're looking for is it?

Tom

-------------------------
Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 23 April 2013 02:22 PM

rocknroll

Originally posted by: jamesrussell

No one out there with any knowledge of working in France

In France like the UK there are legal requirements when doing any major work in your house, the first thing you must do is visit the office of the village/town mayor (maire de commune) and they will decide whether you need a 'Certificate d'Urbanism' and this is normally granted after a couple of weeks, It is unlikely they will allow you to use an english electrician to english regs and may insist that it is one of the local 'artisans' if you insist on using your mate you probably will get 'bouled noir', you may find it difficult to shop in the local village/town, midnight visits from the planning inspectors, 3am visits from the local gendarmerie, the trouble with France is they are very commune based and often castigate people who by their own doing dont contribute to the community.

All products you buy must comply with the NF (their equivalent BS).
Inspection will be made on site after the completion of the works.
It is the responsibility of the contractor to comply with the "règle de l'art" (their equivalent Building Regs, Wiring Regs etc.

As already mentioned insurance is a big issue and not having the right cover could be illegal and void your house insurance and if there was an injury the penalties are a bit more severe than here, they think nothing of locking you up for 12 months in the local jail. They have something called 'The Spinetta Law' basically everybody involved in the project must be insured.

There are plenty of sites for you to do your homework on insurance and what is required before you venture into this.

The supply in France is 230V 50Hz and for larger properties 380V 3phase.

The supply authority is (EDF) Electricite de France, they supply the cutout, meter and a current operated circuit breaker (disjoncteur differential) normally a 500mA or a 650mA and you are only allowed to connect to the outgoing terminals as these are sealed and tampering with these could also land you in the pokey for 12 months. They do not supply you with an earth and this is your responsibility it must be sized to the supply and you must fit a 30mA at your consumer end.

There is a sting in the tail, the current operated circuit breaker that EDF supply is rated for what they consider you require and starts off at around 30A and if you require a 45A or 63A supply then your standing charge goes up accordingly by quite a lot, only EDF can change the circuit breaker.

Electric showers are a bit of an expensive luxury, its cheaper to jump in the river.

I posted this time ago and I have further updates regarding 'mutual recognition of professional qualifications' and 'tax' that I will post later.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 23 April 2013 06:04 PM

jamesrussell

wow thanks rock n roll
It wouldn't be a mate I didn't make my self clear it would be me seeing as I am a qualified electrician but what I will do is try and get the chap who has worked on the property and get him on board hopefully so I can do all the dirty work and keep him in the loop you never know he may need a laccy.
Nice to know about the different rates all the showers are mixers off the oil central heating.
30a should be fine it has a new hagar cu with 30 ma rcd with 3 mcbs so I don't think it will take much to get it up to scratch
 23 April 2013 06:04 PM

jamesrussell

wow thanks rock n roll
It wouldn't be a mate I didn't make my self clear it would be me seeing as I am a qualified electrician but what I will do is try and get the chap who has worked on the property and get him on board hopefully so I can do all the dirty work and keep him in the loop you never know he may need a laccy.
Nice to know about the different rates all the showers are mixers off the oil central heating.
30a should be fine it has a new hagar cu with 30 ma rcd with 3 mcbs so I don't think it will take much to get it up to scratch
 24 April 2013 07:00 PM

OldSparky

its about time we started to act like the french, stop the diyers in their tracks
 24 April 2013 07:10 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: OldSparky

its about time we started to act like the french, stop the diyers in their tracks

LoL - Vive la révolution!

Don't forget the French recently voted in the equivalent of Ed Milliband - and now the birds are coming home to roost.

The last thing we should do is act like the French - in any aspect - in my opinion

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 24 April 2013 07:14 PM

rocknroll

Just for you Old Sparky. !!!!

That information is somewhat dated now, if you remember the discussions regarding the new part P de-regulation I hinted that it was not all about local conditions but there was a big EU influence in the decisions that were being made, mainly barrier to trade and the Single Market Act, the issue of Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications has been resolved and your say NVQ3 is recognised across borders and vice versa, not really a problem in that area now, obviously if you go to work in another state there could be requirements for initial training courses because of local regulations etc; but we can understand that.

The problem where say an electrician is not qualified to work in another state is not related to their professional qualifications but the fact it is a regulated profession, the model being discussed is self regulation which we and quite a few other states operate under at the moment, this is seen as the ideal solution to free up investment, employment and all the things relating to freeing up the economy on the whole.

There are at the moment around 4000+ regulated professions in the EU and a lot will move to self regulation from around 2016 onwards, obviously there are regulated professions that are bound by legislation as in the UK and will for good reasons stay this way.

Let me give you a simple true example, in some states a Tour Guide is a regulated profession and in some self regulated and in others not regulated so we have some way to go yet.

France, Germany and Italy are due to start modifying and changing their archaic, inherited regulated trades systems from around 2016 onwards.

The writing is on the wall for EU self regulation and 'I say no more, guv' has not one of your organisations appointed quite recently a 'European Operations Manager'.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 25 April 2013 at 07:46 AM by rocknroll
 24 April 2013 08:04 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: OldSparky

Well I don't quite know how they're stopping it when anyone can buy all they need to rewire a house in any of the big sheds in France.
 24 April 2013 08:07 PM

OldSparky

26 April 2013 07:20 PM

ady1

Hi James
I found being very friendly with the local mayor gets you a long way. Introduce yourself, take a bottle and try to speak French - If your in the sticks, they will respect you for trying. Keep him informed and he will cut out all the red tape.
You will need further advice on the wiring - it's not the same.
Regards
Ady

Resistance is futile.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.