Topic Title: prices
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 April 2013 08:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 April 2013 08:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wylexman

evening all Ive been asked to install a 8,5kw shower which is a new complete circuit with neon switch etc.
and install 2 low voltage extractor fans and install an extra light on landing,
what would you guys charge for all of that.
 20 April 2013 08:49 PM

WiredScience

I frequently receive emails from customers asking me things like this. My answer is, I can't quote without seeing it. Is bonding and earthing OK? cable run a nightmare or 3 feet from the consumer unit? Cables flushed into chocolate breeze blocks, crumbly stone or granite? The list is endless...
 20 April 2013 08:52 PM

chunk522

I would total up all your material outlay and a percentage ontop of that then I would work out the labour how long it will take you to complete the job including paper work, depending on your hourly rate as some have more over heads than others so they may charge more on there labour costs than others
 20 April 2013 09:46 PM

SKElectrical

Originally posted by: wylexman

evening all Ive been asked to install a 8,5kw shower which is a new complete circuit with neon switch etc.

and install 2 low voltage extractor fans and install an extra light on landing,

what would you guys charge for all of that.

Has your customer specifically asked for 8.5kW, and specifically asked for neon sw, and specifically asked for low voltage (fans)?
It just seems odd for a cust to ask for these, unless he has picked out shiny accessories from a (screwfix) catalogue.

Your question isn't detailed enough..
who is piping to the shower?
are you using trunking?
does an RCD need to be added?
cross bonding required?
who is drilling 4" core holes?
how far is c/u from shower?

Anyway il quote blind..
Labour £ 500
 20 April 2013 10:03 PM

leckie

I'll raise you, £1000
Could be anything!
 21 April 2013 06:14 AM

ebee

I`ll see your £1000 and raise you another £18 that`s £1018!

But that`s just a basis price.

why two fans (different locations on different circuits?)

RCD.
Supp bonding.
Supply the fans and transformers too.
Holes cut and ducted by others.
Shower run 15 metres.

Then there`s all the variables that could raise or lower this basis price significantly.

As said, work out :-
Materials,
mark up,
hours x your charging rate,
notification & certification fee unless you charge that within your charging rate.
Then once you get paid you should be able to draw your earning rate from it and pay your overheads.

In other words £1000 +/- 75% might be a good answer

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 21 April 2013 06:43 AM

normcall

I suppose it really depends on the length of the wet string and how often you have to go back to 'wet' it.

I bet customer has already got a price and after a deep intake of breath for such a simple job, decided to look for another price. As I've said recently, our commercial radio stations seem to be 'pushing' electrical work and getting a quote/ good chap(ess) etc.
I have to laugh at some of the copy being used.

Norman
 21 April 2013 07:30 AM

primo

I received a call two weeks ago from a landlord who said that new tenants were moving in the next day and she urgently needed an electric shower installed (I.e. can you install it today!) and coincidentally enough a new extractor (just one though, replacement).
Sent one of the guys over to have a look at cable routing etc and would have required a new circuit from the board plus RCBO's for the lighting circuit and shower,approx 25m of 10mm2 plus containment.
Landlord was already out buying the shower unit and plumber was already on site!
'Okay' I thought, we can work late tonight and get that done and finish off in the morning if necessary.
£450 - £550 +vat was my estimate.

"Does that include cost of the shower?" which landlord had already bought???!!!!

After pointing out that they had already told me they were supplying the shower and no, that doesn't include fixing the storage heater as well (literally all off the control gear stripped out of it, just two wires from the terminal block left!!), I have heard nothing back at all!

Oh the joy of dealing with some people.
 21 April 2013 09:45 AM

Zs

Wylexman, I agree with previous comments but I think the cable routes for all that would be the most tricky to estimate. If it is just through a wall then it becomes quite a simple task but otherwise much more expensive.

I also think the £1000 ideas on here are very steep. But it does depend on your hourly/daily rate and the above.

It is really tough out there and we are not plumbers.

I've just declined a nice job since learning that money was changing hands between he who makes the decision on behalf of the managing company and the electricians. £200 cash to get the job. Since Christmas I see a sea-change. So tread carefully but remain honest to yourself.

Zs
 21 April 2013 10:37 AM

Ampman

Ive just this week priced a shower job ,

I will tell you the price .

30 mts of 10mm . £ 2.50 mt = £75.00 + vat
1 x 50 amp pull switch £ 12.50 + vat
1 x rcbo 50 amp to fit a crabtree loadstar board £ 45.00 + vat

1 x rcbo to rcd lights £ 45.00 + vat

1 x rcbo to rcd heater circuit £ 45.00 + vat

Make light switch a pull cord so need to chop wall a bit .

Supply & replace a in line extract fan its a decent one £ 60 .00 + vat

This job is in a industrial warehouse .

Total materials £ 282.50 + vat = £339 x 20 % £ 400 ish .

a day to install £ 200 + 50 quid paper work

Total job £650 + vat .

Plumber to supply fit shower

Aint heard nothing ???
 21 April 2013 10:42 AM

Ampman

forgot to mention shower cable to install in trunking so thats extra cost to materials
 21 April 2013 11:19 AM

Martynduerden

£750.00 plus vat- I would not get the job though, it will likely be done for c£200.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 21 April 2013 11:40 AM

ebee

That`s £900 then Martyn to a private person

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

21 April 2013 11:43 AM

ebee

Originally posted by: Zs

Wylexman, I agree with previous comments but I think the cable routes for all that would be the most tricky to estimate. If it is just through a wall then it becomes quite a simple task but otherwise much more expensive.

I also think the £1000 ideas on here are very steep. But it does depend on your hourly/daily rate and the above.

It is really tough out there and we are not plumbers.

I've just declined a nice job since learning that money was changing hands between he who makes the decision on behalf of the managing company and the electricians. £200 cash to get the job. Since Christmas I see a sea-change. So tread carefully but remain honest to yourself.

Zs

Zs are you thinking £1000 + VAT or £1000 all in?

I always quote (Estimate) all in prices fully inclusive of everything from start to finish

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

21 April 2013 12:33 PM

SKElectrical

Originally posted by: Ampman
Ive just this week priced a shower job ,
Total materials £ 282.50 + vat = £339 x 20 % £ 400 ish .

a day to install £ 200 + 50 quid paper work

Total job £650 + vat .

Plumber to supply fit shower

I think you might have quoted labour a bit cheap. try looking at 225 minimum per day. especially in bathrooms as there are loads of trades involved and so easy for something little to send everything else out of balance - meaning return visits.
 21 April 2013 12:40 PM

daveparry1

Why + 50 quid for paperwork Ampman, you can't (or shouldn't!) do the job without paperwork so shouldn't be charging it as a separate item,

Dave.
 21 April 2013 02:34 PM

Ampman

Very true ,

But often i end up doing paper work at nights filling test sheets etc ...

Plus as some one else put , good chance of a repeat visit to connect shower after plumber finished , or tiling done ,

Do otherss find the same most jobs need 2 visits ?
 21 April 2013 02:38 PM

Ampman

the job will be done to the regs and certificated .

I get a feeling that i will not be doing the job & someone else will who wont install rcd s to everthing in the bathroom saving the customer £150.00 ish
 21 April 2013 04:19 PM

ebee

Originally posted by: daveparry1

Why + 50 quid for paperwork Ampman, you can't (or shouldn't!) do the job without paperwork so shouldn't be charging it as a separate item,

Dave.

Sorry Dave I disagree.
Well actually I agree but disagree.
LOL.

Yes the paperwork is part of the job and should (must if you are a pro) be done, it is indeed part of the job. If someone wants to charge separately it`s up to them.
Better still they might actually charge separately but not inform the customer.
Just in the same way as you might or might not mark up materials. You charge for your van, telephone, stationery, accountant, tools, hire, overalls etc etc in your overheads and you dont show them separately but you still charge for them.

Personally I would not show a separate charge either nor do I when pricing for an estimate etc but I do factor it on on my job sheet once finished to see how it`s working in (for my own reference nothing else) because any job no matter how large or small has some paperwork and it varies a bit rather in line with the size of a job being one factor .

A job taking 40 hours does not have 40 times as much time or actual paper than a job taking one hour so you could argue charging for paperwork separately is fairer and keeping this expense in your overheads therefore hourly charging rate would be unfair to customers having a rewire compared to customers having an extra socket added.

If you charge a customer £100 for materials & £100 for labour and Joe Bloggs charges £50 for materials, £50 for labour, £50 for paperwork & £50 for other overheads for exactly the same job you are both charging the customer the same £200 so that can not prove it unfair can it?

Having said that £50 for paperwork sounds a bit high unless you are including Part P notification perhaps.

I had the same dilemma when Part P came in.

Extra expense so how do I pass it on?
All customers.
Only customers of notifiable jobs.
Small notifiable jobs the same as big notifiable jobs or %age pro rota .

In the end I did a fudge,
upped rate for all customers a bit and charged a bit for notifiable jobs.

There is no correct answer.

A business acquaintance of mine once told me I was having "Two bites of the Cherry" by putting a mark up on materials then charging for labour. The fact that he was charging only for labour but yet his labour rate was a lot higher therefore his total bill for comparable parts and labour was far more than mine seemed to escape him. I argued that the total you charged for the total job from start to finish was the only true comparison but he could not see that.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

21 April 2013 05:47 PM

dbullard

I charge for "Notifying and for certs, usually £ 45.00 ..................... but included or listed in estimate / quotation. I tend to get 95% of all the work I quote for.

Re the OP "length of string" comes to mind but from the initial post I would estimate £ 450 / 500 but variable's on each job would dictate a slightly different costing.

Regards

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
IET » Wiring and the regulations » prices

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.