Topic Title: central heating fault
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 April 2013 09:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 April 2013 10:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SKElectrical

i'm from the generation that wants to make do and mend, but is prohibited by doing so because of laws that the older generation has brought in. A generation that wants to fix but is employed by a generation who instructs us to throw away and renew, in the name of economics.
I'm not having a dig, I'm just saying. And thanks for your replies.
 11 April 2013 10:34 PM

Grumpy

Me? I used to live in a cardboard box and lick t' road clean with tongue. Luxury!
 11 April 2013 10:45 PM

AJJewsbury

A generation that wants to fix but is employed by a generation who instructs us to throw away and renew, in the name of economics.

Sounds like you've fallen in with the wrong crowd there - still plenty of repair going on I think (and as far as I know quite legally!) Not so long ago I was asked to 'look at' a VHS recorder (along with favourite tape jammed inside) - "clockwork" really isn't my thing, but still it was fixable. My PCs are still 'homebrew' using mostly reused components. Current "hobby" project is renovating a 100-year-old house.

- Andy.
 11 April 2013 11:03 PM

sparkingchip

From the programmer Hot Water fires the boiler, Central heating on needs to fire the boiler and turn the circulating pump on as well. This requires a bit of wiring along with a cylinder stat and room stat to control it all.

However to avoid confusion it all works best with a programmer like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/hors...tiara-programmer/18470 because the sliders controlling the heating and hot water mechanically interlock, so you cannot turn the central heating on without the hot water.

However it will work without the cylinder stat, but the boiler stays hot all the time the hot water is on.

Andy

If you follow the link to the instruction maual from the Screwfix website you'll find all the wiring diagrams.
 11 April 2013 11:17 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury
Current "hobby" project is renovating a 100-year-old house.

- Andy.

Crikey I've got that going on too, though its not a bloody hobby! Unforeseen new roof this week - I'm dreading next Week!

-------------------------
Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 11 April 2013 11:32 PM

SKElectrical

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

However to avoid confusion it all works best with a programmer like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/hors...tiara-programmer/18470 because the sliders controlling the heating and hot water mechanically interlock, so you cannot turn the central heating on without the hot water.

That's great, thanks. But I'll be hard pressed to get it installed now - it was a job for an estate agent and I've already replaced stat and pump (costly).
You know the landlord is tight when he has laid the whole house with the same awful carpet!
IET » Wiring and the regulations » central heating fault

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.