Increase font size
Topic Title: Why I never taught under eighteens
Topic Summary: Best excuse I've heard for being late for "apprentice school"
Created On: 08 April 2013 07:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 April 2013 07:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

perspicacious

True story:

Parent and partner were not happy to be advised that their protégée was being marked as a persistent late arrival.
On meeting the college teacher, they blamed him for not making his lessons interesting enough for their precious to make the effort to attend on time.....

Regards

BOD
 08 April 2013 08:20 PM

Grumpy

I just used to lock the buggers out they soon learnt!
 08 April 2013 09:14 PM

dg66

I was never late for college, most of the time i didnt turn up.

-------------------------
Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 09 April 2013 06:18 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: dg66
I was never late for college, most of the time i didnt turn up.

I was a so called "wide boy" when about 17 years old. I developed a habit of being late at college, eventually arriving during the morning break when it was easier to blend in for the roll call. Until one morning the principal - a Dr. Russell, saw my arrival just before the break, when looking out his window at the front of the college. He collared me, led me into his office and gave me a lecture about the comparison of education to other countries, and how fortunate I was; then he finally ordered me to write a 3 page essay, on how good the technical education facilities were in Scotland.

I was an indentured apprentice, and later had to face a meeting with the engineering manager and my foreman at the steelworks I was rotated to. I was fortunate not to be fired, but I was too much interested in late nights and proliferation of the species.

I can empathise with the young people of today, and their attitudes to the regulation required by society. Been there, done that!

It was only much later, that I fully appreciated the benefits of conformance to the system.

Regards
 09 April 2013 08:04 AM

dickllewellyn

The problem is, most of us who messed around at college would love to go back and do it properly this time. I guess that's hindsight!

Personally I was never late, I would always get in on time for theory lessons, but come the summer I would often slope off during the practical sessions or the electronics classes. The lure of bournemouth beach was just too strong compared to clipping some more cables round a wooden booth! I do wish I'd paid more attention in electronics though, the only reason I passed was thanks to the city and guilds multi guess system coupled with a pass mark of 50% (which I gather can be reduced if too few students are passing!)

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 09 April 2013 09:53 AM

rougediablo

Best excuses I've had for people not attending work were

Raging Toothache (not sure if this is more severe than ordinary toothache )

Too Tired as I've been working on my house all weekend (he had plenty of time to work on his house afterwards as we told him to f**k off & not bother coming back )

Best Lateness were:

My wife gave me a lift this morning, she can't turn right at roundabouts so it took longer than usual

I also had a lad who was persitently late &, when we started disciplinary proceedings, he asked if we could alter his hours so he could start at 8.30 instead of 8.00 as he had to catch 2 buses. To show we were reasonable employers we agreed &, on the 1st day of his new hours, he was late . He got the boot as well
 09 April 2013 12:08 PM

OMS

I guess we've all been there - but that said, I'm all for a bit of self discipline and a bit of self direction. The other side to that coin is that the teaching has to go some way to inspiring the students.

I was talking to a few colleagues this morning and we were on the subject of teachers - I was recounting a certain lady physics teacher who, thank god, was a complete maverick and did what she thought best to inspire students.

She put a lot of personal time and effort into a science club during lunchtimes and evenings - and it was great - things that went bang, crack, rotated, moved - you name it, she had a project for it (Elf 'n Safety would have a fit today)

She had a "motto", made in the woodwork department, that said

" Good, Better Best - Never let it rest

Until your Good is Better and your Better, Best"

It was that single aspect that stuck with me through life - if you want to know something - go find out - when you find out, be the best you can be regarding it.

So - personally, I would go all out to encourage the behaviours I wanted from students, apprentices and the like - I wouldn't neccessarily be too fussy about time keeping and petty isues like that - as long as I was seeing the effort going in - but if not, I'd be equally happy to let the individual fall by the wayside and take thier own chances in life

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 09 April 2013 04:09 PM

peteTLM

I had one bloke for a while, and we arranged to meet at a convinient location, to park his car and get in the van. After keeping me waiting a couple of times, i drove off leaving him standing there. It was a day he got a lift to the location (which had now left). Didnt do it again.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 09 April 2013 04:46 PM

amandalewin

We have the calamity kid in our office, today he wasn't sure if his car had been stolen or towed because he couldn't remember where he parked it. After calling the police he found out it had been towed.

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 09 April 2013 07:57 PM

davidwalker2

The best excuses from one chap were:
Couldn't come in yesterday because he had washed his socks and they weren't dry.

When asked why he was persistently late he said "the bus is always late". When told to catch and earlier bus, his reply was, "that is always late too"!

David
 09 April 2013 09:14 PM

Thripster

Best one I heard was 'Sorry I'm late Sir, piston broke'.
 10 April 2013 09:34 AM

Legh

It has much to do with the 'Male Wolf' where the delicate obedience to parents has been usurped by raging hormones.

I know of a parent who employed bribery and corruption to get her prodigy out of bed and off to school. - a positive version of a scam you might say.

Find something that might get them hooked and then sell it.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 11 April 2013 12:32 PM

MACookson

One apprentice was always late, (my pet hate is being late) and if I can get up for 06:00 to pick him up then he better make and effort.

I would only give him a two minute waiting grace before I would leave, so that I would not be late as well.

He even tried to accuse me of not being there on time to my boss, but I took pictures with the Phone camera date and time stamped whilst parked up waiting for him!!
 11 April 2013 10:55 PM

baldelectrician

One excuse I had for lateness;
"I was up playing my PS3 until 3am- It's online now!"

My answer- If you want you can have as much time to play your playstation as you like when you don't have a a job.
It's your choice- work on time (and awake) or don't bother coming in.

baldelectrician.com
 12 April 2013 10:26 AM

Legh

I think I may have mentioned this one before, however, I was teaching a group of IT science students a few years back and I was having some late-riser problems with some of the class.

Well, the end result for one young 'lady' was the declaration: " Mr Richardson I have decided to leave your class so that I can go into full time drugs - and I thought my lessons were more interesting to a 17 year old than late night parties, PC game playing, sex, drugs and rock en roll.?.....

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.