Increase font size
Topic Title: On my own again
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 April 2013 07:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 April 2013 07:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dickllewellyn

So five years on, the shy sixteen year old boy i took on from school is all grown up and flying the nest. It'll be a sad day at the end of the month, and not just because I'll have no one to send in the loft any more!

Time to stop worrying about getting lots of work to keep us all busy, and get back to just enough and hitting the books I think, see if I can get myself one of these fabled gold standards! The company grew, told me I was a much better electrician than business man, shrunk again, told me I was still a better electrician than business man, and not a bad charity operator either, from early days alone, through apprentices and extra staff, and back to the beginning. It's been a blast!

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 03 April 2013 09:18 AM

OMS

It's been a blast!

Glad to hear that - for many I guess it isn't.

Time for a new direction, new challenges - and now the old knees ain't what they used to be, Dick - good luck

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 03 April 2013 10:19 AM

normcall

Been there Done that.
Wait until the actual time to go comes, you'll continue talking, only to yourself. I do a lot of that!

Norman
 03 April 2013 11:10 AM

tomgunn

'Naturally'..........

Life's somewhat strange - born - married - 2 kids - now they're all gone and I have 2.7 grandchildren - self-employed now for 40 years - I said back then that I'd give it a couple of years, oooops! I have employed dozens and dozens of people - sometimes I like working on my own and then I take someone on - we get on great and then they move on - sometimes sad - sometimes relieved.... but I know how you feel - I do believe its called 'life'!

Good luck!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 03 April 2013 05:43 PM

Legh

Interesting, I sometimes find myself shut up in a little room on my own, sometimes by chance or by luck or not of my own making and then..... I'm out again and I'm off in another direction.
Now, though, when the door gets shut I usually find I have someone in there with me, but that's me.

Time to look around for another trainee, I suspect

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 03 April 2013 08:45 PM

Zs

Dick, I reckon it is okay to see how you get on alone for a while.

I am a particularly solitary creature at work on the tools so I may be biased. It is special time; You are being paid. You would be wrong to do anything other than work for your client. Everything outside of that one job must wait. I find it liberating. You have done a young bloke a great service and hopefully he has done one for you.

Nobody will load your van at the end of the day ( and stand around fidgeting while you do a last minute tinker not very well on account of the fidgeting).

Nobody will turn up for work with a hangover/girlfriend troubles etc. and be useless for the day but still need paying. Grrr.

You don't need to find work for two.

You can have the odd, completely random, day off.

You have to cut your own chases (not good this one).

You will know what you need to buy and what you have run out of.

You can have pork pie and salad cream for lunch three days in a row and not a soul will know unless you tell them.

There will not be any crisp packets in the passenger footwell of your van unless they are yours.

Nobody will say 'can we pull in at the next petrol station' when you are in a hurry.

And oh, that dodgy junction.......will be yours pal.

Take it for what it is. You grew somebody. Have some 'me' time?

Zs
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.