Increase font size
Topic Title: wiring test cert for fire alarm to bs 5839
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 April 2013 10:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 April 2013 10:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hertzal123

Wondered if anyone knows where I can obtain or download an electrical test cert for the wiring of an L1 fire alarm system.I,m assuming zs at the panel position and insulation resistance reading of cabling with all devices
disconnected.Thanx for any help.
hz.
 03 April 2013 09:11 AM

OMS

What you need is a form that captures:

38 Inspection and testing of wiring

38.1 Commentary
On completion of wiring, or sections of wiring, the installer needs to carry out tests to ensure the integrity of
cable insulation and adequacy of earthing. Usually, the tests on cables will be carried out with equipment
disconnected and prior to completion of the entire system. Further tests need to, therefore, be carried out on
completion of the system; these tests may form part of the commissioning process. In some (usually
addressable) systems, maximum circuit impedance may be specified by the system manufacturer, in which
case any measurements of impedance recommended by the manufacturer also need to be carried out, either
on completion of installation or at commissioning (see Clause 39).

38.2 Recommendations
The following recommendations are applicable.
a) All installed cables with a manufacturer's voltage rating suitable for mains use should be subject to
insulation testing at 500 V d.c. Prior to this test, cables should be disconnected from all equipment that
could be damaged by the test.
b) Insulation resistance, measured in the above test, between conductors, between each conductor and
earth, and between each conductor and any screen, should be, at least, 2 MOhm.
NOTE Control and indicating equipment can have fault sensing for wiring insulation resistance to earth. If this is, for example,
set at 1 Mohm, the combined effect of all wiring earth insulation resistance ought to be well above this to avoid nuisance fault
indications. For large systems, this 2 Mohm minimum needs to be much higher than this to achieve something in excess of 1 Mohm overall. For a small non-addressable system up to about four zones, 2 Mohm might be acceptable.
c) Earth continuity and, for mains supply circuits, earth fault loop impedance, should be tested to ensure
compliance with BS 7671.
d) Unless there is specific agreement that the following tests will form part of the commissioning process,
the tests should be carried out on completion of the installation work:
1) where maximum circuit resistance for any circuit is specified by the manufacturer !or supplier",
measurement of the resistance of every such circuit;
2) any other tests specified by the manufacturer of the system;
3) !check correct polarity of circuits where this is required for correct monitoring (to ensure
operation of any manual call point while all detectors on a circuit are removed)."
e) The results of all tests should be recorded and made available to the organization responsible for
commissioning the system.

So what you are after is a the form required by "e" above. This is highlighted in the installation certificate G2. ie:

Wiring has been tested in accordance with the recommendations of Clause 38 of BS 5839-1:2002.
Test results have been recorded and provided to: ..............................................................................

BS 5839 doesn't provide a model form for this - I've seen them provided (after a lot of arguing usually) on everything from an EIC in acordance with BS 7671 (which is probably the ideal way) to home made word or excel tables with a bit of explanatory text appended.

I don't have a specific copy of a form but if you read the requirements for the relevant tests knocking one up or amending a BS 7671 form isn't difficult.

I think the NICEIC also do several versions tailored for BS 5839 and available to registered and unregistered contractors

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 03 April 2013 10:55 AM

rocknroll

There are on the whole seven forms available:

Fire detection and alarm system acceptance certificate.

Fire detection and alarm system commissioning certificate.

Fire detection and alarm system design certificate.

Fire detection and alarm system inspection and servicing report. *

Fire detection and alarm system installation certificate. *

Fire detection and alarm modification certificate. *

Fire detection and alarm system verification certificate. *

I only have the ones marked with a * available in word format which is not locked and fillable so PM your email with the one you require but you will have to give me a couple of days until I get back to my computer.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 03 April 2013 at 07:47 PM by rocknroll
 03 April 2013 04:53 PM

jsa986

If you have an iPhone or iPad Fire Alarm certificates

www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 03 April 2013 07:32 PM

hertzal123

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.
Hz.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.