Increase font size
Topic Title: Emergency Light testing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01 April 2013 01:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 April 2013 01:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chilipepper

Hello Everyone.
I have been given the task of doing the emergency lighting testing at my site. The site is in parts 35 - 40 years old. There are no records of any previous testing as it was never carried out.
I have started by doing plans of the different areas of the factory and the 3 x office blocks and marking up the emergency light fittings on the plans.
I have started a register of the emergency lights also detailing them with the type of fitting and where they are supplied from.
I take it I can do this and print the sheets into a log book for each area. I have also done a sheet for repacement fittings which has the date and the registered number of the fitting and type.

Is there any other detail I should add in?

Also how does the company stand with this problem; In some areas there needs to be a complete lighting outage to test the emergency lights and this is not practicle as the factory runs for 24 / 7.
We had a company in about 2 years ago to re wire certain areas and these have also never been tested. I am starting with these areas as they are easy to complete. I have tackled 3 areas so far and come up with 60 fittings so far and that is only 5% of the factory and office blocks.
Any help will be appreciated.
 01 April 2013 02:07 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Browse through this;

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/estates/m...ts/UCLFire_TN_022.pdf

For Wales;

http://www.claw.gov.uk/fileadm...uide_-_March_2011.pdf

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 01 April 2013 02:20 PM

chilipepper

Hi Rocknroll

I have previously seen those but did not know if they were upto date or not. I am in England (btw)

The only way to test the engineering workshop is to turn off the MCB for the lights in the workshop. No fish tail key switch is available. In other areas it is the same but with fuses.

just wondered where the company / I would stand in the eyes of the law if something did happen.
 01 April 2013 02:37 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Originally posted by: chilipepper

Hi Rocknroll

I have previously seen those but did not know if they were upto date or not. I am in England (btw)

The only way to test the engineering workshop is to turn off the MCB for the lights in the workshop. No fish tail key switch is available. In other areas it is the same but with fuses.

just wondered where the company / I would stand in the eyes of the law if something did happen.

This is something you must discuss with the owner/manager and possibly the health and safety officer as they are your employers, all employers, landlords or occupiers under the Fire Precaution (Work Place) Regulations 1999 are required to carry out a risk assessment to ensure their premises can be evacuated quickly and safely in the event of an emergency.

Once the risk assessment is done then after some many hours of research you could advise them on the best course of action that is mutually acceptable.

The documents I referred to give you enough information of what is required with regard to the legal aspect but at the end of the day its up to your employers to decide as it is their money you will be spending.

A design guide;

http://www.icel.co.uk/media/IC...20Hyp%2010-1-2013.pdf

NORMATIVE REFERENCES

EN 60598-2-22, Luminaires - Part 2-22: Particular requirements - Luminaires for emergency lighting.

(IEC 60598-2-22: 1997, modified).

EN 50172, Emergency escape lighting systems.

ISO 3864: 1984, Safety colours and safety signs.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 01 April 2013 at 03:18 PM by rocknroll
 02 April 2013 05:34 PM

chilipepper

Thanks.. Ill bring up the situation with them and see what course of action they would like to take.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.