Increase font size
Topic Title: Xmas festival
Topic Summary: How to supply 55 Xmas trees with lights
Created On: 30 March 2013 11:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 March 2013 11:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DR2366

Not your average installation.

Local church which holds a christmas tree festival normally supplies 55 trees with lights using a large number of extension leads linked together!

Is there a simplier and safer alternative which won't cost a fortune for the church?
 31 March 2013 12:25 AM

stateit

Become a Methodist Chapel.

(Sorry...)

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 31 March 2013 10:56 AM

slittle

Solar tree lights ????

From a safety point of view I'd be looking for IP44 plugs and sockets, how far is the run ??. I help out with a scout group fireworks display and with 2.5mm arctic flex and IP44 splitters we seem to be able run lights a good distance away. (RCD protected of course)

Stu
 31 March 2013 04:57 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: DR2366

Is there a simplier and safer alternative which won't cost a fortune for the church?

Used properly with appropriate IP rated connections there shouldn't be any safety issues with using extension leads - I'm struggling to think of anything that would be 'simplier' or more cost effective for this temporary installation!
 31 March 2013 06:24 PM

DR2366

Sorry forgot to say its inside of the church.
 31 March 2013 06:32 PM

weirdbeard

Inside/outside, my above post stands! what are your concerns with the previous arrangements?

Is this a contract or are you just helping out?
 31 March 2013 08:27 PM

davezawadi

Extension leads are pretty normal for this kind of thing, just make sure that no one can trip over them. There isn't really any other way unless you do this every week in the same place! There really is nothing wrong with flexible cables, and you can always use H07-RN if there is significant danger of mechanical damage which in this environment there probably isn't.

David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
 31 March 2013 09:27 PM

DR2366

No issues with daisy chaining lots of extension leads together then. All the leads are PAT tested by a local contractor but it looks abit of mess when all hooked up.
 02 April 2013 01:26 PM

AJJewsbury

I was asked to cast an eye over just such a setup last December - as usual the point of the exercise was to raise money for good causes, rather than spend it on electrical equipment, so my preferred solution wasn't even in the running so it was just a case of making the best of the the umpteen daisy-chained extensions. A careful inspection, a plug-in RCD and a plug-in energy monitor later and I was happy. Most of the tree lights were LED and took surprisingly little current and although not all the trees were lit, pretty much the whole lot ran quite comfortably off a single 13A socket.

- Andy.
 02 April 2013 01:44 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: DR2366

Not your average installation.

Local church which holds a christmas tree festival normally supplies 55 trees with lights using a large number of extension leads linked together!

Perhaps try reading through Section 711 - there's a lot you can achieve with some flex, a few trailing sockets and 30mA RCD protection

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 03 April 2013 02:45 PM

oshta

We used to have a church group use the students union when I worked there as a lighting rigging tech. They used to daisy chain 4/6way 13amp extentions, on of the end of the other, with 40w pendants off each one, hanging over the balcony of the main room to create 'mood light' within the area below.

One string of extensions lights going one way, another there way, out of each half of a double socket.

Looks horrable, but if you do the sums you can have an hell of a lot of 40w bulbs off a 13amp plug before there are any issues, so happy days.

Daniel
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.