IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What happens when the arts/community projects run out of money.
Topic Summary: Old SWA, old pyro, tests ok, but to still use?
Created On: 27 March 2013 12:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 March 2013 12:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BigRed

Ok, yet another quandry, if life was simple, wouldn't it be boring?
Some good friends, running an outdoor project, growing veg in an urban environment has asked if I can try to sort out their power problems, i.e put some sockets in for a shed and external office, and some floods on site. they have lots of old runs of SWA, 20 to 40 meter and and a main run of 4 core 6mm pyro to the outbuildings of about 80m.
old internal building wiring and boards are shot,ie piked to death and smashed to pieces but the pyro tests out ok and the odd long bits of swa outside too. site is an old propane filling station, big rod earths and Ex fittings...cool old light fittings!
Question is, given their finacial restraints, should I reuse the old cables, checking it, re sleeving the ends with H/shrink and making sure it's insulation is intact for or replace. Pyro, blasted on 1000v and tests out fine, all core to core and core to sheath. Would just have to be soooo careful taking the lock nut off the glands and boxes...
and yes, this WILL be TT...all built into a waterproof GRP box that i just happen to have lying around...
Some donated bits are already going to be used, thanks to Zs, the rolls of 2.5mm and 4mm swa is going to be VERY useful! As will the conduit fixings...
Your thoughts on this are much appreciated....and if anybody has any spare splashproof 70/150/400w discharge floods, 4/5/6 foot floro waterproofs or odd 40m lengths or so of 1.5/2.5/4mm swa handy...... Anybody within 20 miles of brum got things they don't need?...:-)

Thanks in advance,

David
 27 March 2013 12:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

Question is, given their finacial restraints, should I reuse the old cables, checking it, re sleeving the ends with H/shrink and making sure it's insulation is intact for or replace. Pyro, blasted on 1000v and tests out fine, all core to core and core to sheath. Would just have to be soooo careful taking the lock nut off the glands and boxes...

Of course you can - I'm perhaps a bit conservative when it comes to electrical engineering and even i have no problemwith re using systems that can be shown to be re validate by testing, calculation and design - we do it regularly for our more "understanding clients" - I've got someone revalidating a private PILC supply as we speak

You have to balance the conflicts of well meaning people trying to do something positive for thier local community with risk to you of course - but if you know where to draw the line, tell them what you are all about (idealy in writing) then for sure - go for it.

MICC is virtually bombproof anyway - if you've given it a 1000V (hope it H not L - ) then more than likely it will outlast you and I combined.

Personally I wouldn't worry about TT all of it either - use the system earth (particularly for that MICC) and then use more local TT from there.

Probably not in your timescale, but I've half a dozen primary schools up for rewire this summer - probably not too much of a drama for the SE (don't know who it'll be yet) to "arrange" for stuff that looks useful to go to one side for "collection" - if it's a van full of "good stuff" then probably worth picking up from welsh wales - a trip on the M50 and the HoV will do you good - - helps you get back in touch with your inner druid

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.