IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any dialux experts out there?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 March 2013 10:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 March 2013 10:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

peteTLM

Im wanting to do an outdoor car parking arrangement on dialux.
Altough i can muster together a basic room with a few downlights, outdoor flat surfaces which are not dual carriageways or football fields are somewhat non existant on the basic settings or templates.
This isnt a hit and hope thing, its for studies, and has to be within a fine tolerance of lux.
thanks in advance

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 20 March 2013 10:06 PM

slittle

Pete,

Try Relux, I've not used the outdoor bits but it might be easier.

If I get a chance I'll have a play

Stu
 20 March 2013 10:46 PM

Richard64

Hmm.
Went on a course today, hoping to learn more about it.
Complete waste of time and money. A curt email has gone off to the course providers.
Although, I got a cert of competence at the end, which is a joke, considering I still haven't got a clue how to use it. The hint was when I realised they hadn't even proof read the certificates they were giving out.
Looks like decent software though.
 20 March 2013 11:17 PM

mawry

What you need to know Pete?
 20 March 2013 11:32 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: mawry

What you need to know Pete?

Well, for a start, how to create the space. The defaults are roads (which the dims wont fit), and sports pitches with the columns around the outside. I seem to struggle really bad with outdoor things on this.

I need to create a flat tarmac outside carpark, with equally geometrically spaced columns with 4 fittings at the top of each.

thanks all.....

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 20 March 2013 11:46 PM

Richard64

This was the only thing I really understood today. And, only because the lad sitting next to me helped me out.
Click on new exterior project and when you get the area up, left click on the perimeter lines, one at a time, and drag them to size.
There's a co ordinates box to check if you've the correct dimensions.
Drag the fittings used, to their positions. Again there's a box with the co ordinates in it.
Adjust the height to the height of the fittings and set the distance of peak light output at twice that.
I've probably not explained it that well, but better than Mickey Mumble, our esteemed lecturer.
 20 March 2013 11:48 PM

Richard64

I would scan the course notes and send them on to you, but exterior lighting seems to have been left out of the 10 page pamphlett we were given (Rolls eyes)
 21 March 2013 07:35 AM

alanblaby

Who did this 'training", just so that we can avoid them?
Thanks, Alan.
 21 March 2013 08:26 AM

Richard64

It was seemingly a recognised trainer, Alan.
I've sent them an email expressing my views.
Maybe someone on here can correct me if I'm wrong, but my main complaints were:
The lecturer was inaudible (and I was sitting about 5 feet away from him).
I would have expected, at the least, a brief overview of the sotware, basic fundamentals and an explanation of the results and how to apply them,
The course notes were a 14 page booklet, of which 10 were relevent instructions.
No notes on importing/ exporting CAD drawings and applying the software. We were shown how to do this, but quickly and I couldn't hear the chap anyway.
No hands on tutoring and no assessment of our understanding at the end of each module. Just ploughing through the system.
I could go on, but I've now got a certificate in competence to use a software, that I can't.
 21 March 2013 10:07 AM

MHK

Hi Pete,

In terms of free software I would use Relux for lighting calculations as personally I think it is more intuiative and user friendly that Dialux in many applications.

Having used both I would say that Dialux is better at creating 3D rendered images for presentation purposes, however, if you only require a modelling tool to determine lighting levels, back spill etc I would suggest using Relux as it is more simplistic to use with added simplicity that the majority of luminaires can be downloaded through the application rather than requiring the installation of plug-in applications for various lighting manufacturers.

If the application is more critical for say street lighting application for the highways agency etc you may wish to consider a program called lighting reality which is more suitable for this task.
 21 March 2013 06:21 PM

mawry

Pete, if you start from a new exterior scene. One should be there as a default. its a 50 metre hy 50etre squate. You can then add further ground elements to suit and modify the materials(Tarmac, grass, concrete etc) . If you have the layout in a dwg format you can import that and use it to scale the ground element. Then add fittings as above.
Hard to go through a step by step guide on this. You can download the manual(which isn't a great deal of help) from the dialux website.
If you need anything else PM me.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.