Increase font size
Topic Title: Dealing with awkward customers
Topic Summary: EICR and payment before issue
Created On: 19 March 2013 10:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 March 2013 10:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Jaymack

What a way to earn a crust! The more I deal with people, the less I want to deal with people.

A lady phoned and said that the planning department wanted a completion certificate for a recent extension finished last year, she said that the electrician, who carried out the work had had a "heart attack". I said that I could only carry out an E.I.C.R., and she agreed to this after clearing it with the planning department.

I gave a standard written quotation for the E.I.C.R. for this 4 bedroom house; this states amongst other conditions, that no report will be issued until payment is received by me. Now I've submitted the invoice, she wants the E.I.C.R. before payment, "as it is required under the sale of goods act" I still have to investigate this but has anyone experience of this applying, where a service has been carried out?

Regards
 19 March 2013 10:48 AM

sparkiemike

I am no expert but it don't think the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 or the Sale of Goods Act 1979 make reference to when you get paid.

Think about all these furniture stores who require payment upfront and then take 6 weeks to deliver your sofa . When you by online, you usually pay before you receive the goods.

If I do a EICR I ask for payment upfront, even before I attend the property, especially if it is for a prospective buyer.

If it is part of your T&Cs and they agreed to it then I think you are in the right.
 19 March 2013 11:13 AM

Thripster

I am pretty sure that it says somewhere (perhaps the Part P document) that certificates cannot be witheld.

Regards
 19 March 2013 11:28 AM

AJJewsbury

This will be a report rather than a certificate though.
- Andy.
 19 March 2013 11:33 AM

jsa986

Sales of goods and services act are nothing to do with payments terms, your terms of payment are your terms and are contractual. If thats your policy and she agreed to it then you are in the right.

@Thirpster, ECIR doesn't come under part P and in any case thats a scheme providers recommendation, theres no requirement under part p to say how to run your business' policy regarding payment. Dont the scheme providers also state you have to use a proving unit and write a risk assessment every time you open your tool box

-------------------------
www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 19 March 2013 12:14 PM

rocknroll

Just a quick point, the Sales of Goods and Services Act is only applicable to England, Wales and N Ireland, Scotland deal with this issue a lot differently under Common Law.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 19 March 2013 01:22 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: Jaymack
Now I've submitted the invoice, she wants the E.I.C.R. before payment,...
Regards

Can you not go to her house, you hand her the EICR and she hands you the cheque or cash simultaneously, or does she live miles away.
A bit like swapping hostages.
 19 March 2013 05:01 PM

baldelectrician

I use Easycert.

In normal BS7671 sitiations I hand over a copy that is watermarked- "Internal COPY NOT VALID".
The certificate issued does not have a signature and the engineer details say "NOT VALID"
Once payment has been processed then the usual cert is passed on

That way you hand over a certificate, but it's as much use as a chocolate teapot to them

I take card payment over the phone and then post / email certificate once payment is authorised

baldelectrician.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.