IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Loft suprise
Topic Summary: Things that go squeak in the day and night.
Created On: 18 March 2013 09:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 March 2013 09:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DR2366

Customer with a tripping RCD, on investigation 0.8 ohm N - CPC on one lighting circuit.

Had a look in the large loft to start to trace the fault and found a very large amount droppings (with a few wet ones around) and a whiffy smell. I quick look on google and it looks like rat poo! It looks they have been having a field day up there, saw something move and dash down the cavity so a hasty retreat and wait for the customer to resolve the issue before going in there again (hope they change the lost insulation).

Not a fun way to start the week for me or the customer.
 18 March 2013 09:56 PM

markespark

Years ago in a loft trying to find a cable I'd poked up right tight in the corner - small torch in my mouth I turned suddenly to look directly into a pair of eyes & big teeth ........ They had stored a leopard skin rug in the loft I very nearly 5hat myself on the spot lol
 19 March 2013 09:19 AM

dickllewellyn

I was working in some stables once installing some lighting. There was one particular stall which I had to share with a horse as he was lame and not allowed outside untill his hoof had heeled. I was up a pair of steps, very conscious not to move too quickly so as to spook the horse, and to keep an eye on him so he didn't knock me off. I was so preoccupied with the horse, that when I looked back at my work to see a tiny little mouse looking back, I damn near had the same trouser experience as Markespark!

We are forever encountering rodents in our work, what with lots of thatched places, and lots of farm work, thankfully though, with the correct safety measures, there has yet to be a problem. I do remember as an apprentice gaffa taping the legs and sleeves of my overalls as we crawled into grain driers just to stop the little critters climbing in with me!

Hope they get it sorted DR, and hopefully not in a way that it finds a dark corner to die from poison in and smell for the next few months.....!

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 19 March 2013 09:25 AM

Angram

In a roof space, drilling an RSJ for a main bond connection;
Horrible sound made by the drill bit into dry steel.
Lying fat whilst doing this.
The noise terrified a family of mice which rushed out of a hole just by my face.

If there is an RSJ handy the sound of dry drilling into it will drive them all out of the house !
 19 March 2013 08:40 PM

perspicacious

"not allowed outside untill his hoof had heeled."

Sorry, just had to smile at spelling.........

Regards

BOD
 19 March 2013 08:41 PM

perspicacious

"Lying fat whilst doing this."

This too.......

Regards

BOD
 19 March 2013 08:42 PM

dickllewellyn

I'd love to say it was intentional bod!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

19 March 2013 08:47 PM

DR2366

Update, the council have confirmed rats! 3 weekly visits to resolve the issue by all accounts. I assume that means poison?

Apparently the cooker circuit tripped the RCD today but it reset ok. I hope the little blighters haven't chewed all the cables in the house.
 19 March 2013 08:58 PM

slittle

I'll bet you're on for a rewire.

Make sure you take the necessary safety precautions if you are working in areas frequented by rats too.

Like dick we spend most of our time on farms and depending on the time of year the buildings can be alive with them. The wet winter won't help this year as they are more likely to head indoors.

Stu
 19 March 2013 09:13 PM

DR2366

I would like to see all the loft insulation removed after treatment. I asked the customer to request information on the clean up process from the council as getting rid of the rats is only step 1. Cleaning up is step 2. sorting out the mess they have made is step 3.
 20 March 2013 12:10 PM

KFH

Don't forget Weils disease is often found in their urine. I would want any contaminated insulation removed. The bacteria are supposed to die quite quickly in the dry. See www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/B924.pdf
 20 March 2013 12:56 PM

Ricicle

Originally posted by: KFH

Don't forget Weils disease is often found in their urine. I would want any contaminated insulation removed. The bacteria are supposed to die quite quickly in the dry. See www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/B924.pdf

Weils disease is not very nice at all. If you think you might have been in contact with rat urine as well as washing/disinfecting I was always told to drink full fat coke as this will kill any bacteria that might have got in your stomach. Whether it's true or not I don't know but this is what canoeists and the like do after having a dunk in the river !

Empty barrels make the most noise.
 20 March 2013 08:45 PM

slittle

If full fat coke kills it (and I'm not sure either way) then think what else it's killing in your gut

Stu
 20 March 2013 08:51 PM

dickllewellyn

As far as the BCU are concerned, coke has not been proven to work. Many canoeists do swear by it though, particularly when coaching youngsters as the nice sweet coke takes their mind of the fact they've just been for a swim!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

20 March 2013 09:39 PM

Zs

Well how about that? In my late teens and early twenties I used to race a K1 sprint, mostly around Cardington. They used to give us coke at the finish line.... I never knew why until now. Nowadays I pull cables for the shoulders instead of paddling.

DR, horrible for you. you will be so tentative next time you go up there. At least it isn't gliss-gliss because they wreak havoc and you have to catch them alive. Cute though.

Zs
 20 March 2013 09:50 PM

slittle

Zs

Not horrible, just my cousins trying to find a home

Stu
 21 March 2013 09:36 AM

Dave69

I used to do alot of work for water companies and rats were a part of daily life, hundred of the dam things, but they were never a problem when you knew where they were, its just when the run out from nowhere.

If you follow you RA and make sure you have a good wash before you eat, drink or touch a cig etc. there shouldn't be a problem
BUT REMEMBER to tell the wife or who ever washes your work clothes about Weils disease and they are far more likely to contract it as they will be touching contaminated clothing. There are cases of people getting the disease this way/
You should also inform your GP of the type of work you are doing so they can keep a look out if you ever have to visit the docs. Weils disease starts off like a bad cold or the flu and can KILL if it is not treated. We issue all our people with letters to give to their GP's advising of the fact that our work can often bring us in to contact with dirty water, rats urine, etc. and it is mentioned on all our RA's

Never heard the one about drinking full fat coke

Edited: 21 March 2013 at 09:44 AM by Dave69
 21 March 2013 11:14 PM

RRichard

June last year i rewired the upstairs lighting in a very large house after squirrels had chewed everything and pooped over 95% of the loft. I got a call out in Feb the RCD had tripped again, put my head up through the loft hatch & they were back, it smelt like a zoo, all the new insulation was piled up in two piles as nests and shiney bare cables were glinting from the led headtorch.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.