Increase font size
Topic Title: DEMAG PM 8NF HOIST
Topic Summary: Electrical Supply Connections
Created On: 13 March 2013 04:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 March 2013 04:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

whjohnson

Guys,
Am looking for supply connection data for a Demag electric chain hoist.

3 phase, and am thinking its U1 V1 W1 on the terminal rail but just wanted some conformation from someone who has recently connected one up.
Been looking at interweb but no joy for any tech docs.

Most grateful for any pointers.

Thanks in anticipation

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 13 March 2013 11:41 PM

rh2577

U1, V1, W1 are the motor windings (slow speed windings in a dual wound motor where U2, V2 and W2 are the fast speed windings).

HTH

Rob Heywood MIET

As you get older, three things happen, the first is that your memory goes and..........I can't recall what the other two things are!

Norman Wisdom
 13 March 2013 11:56 PM

sbrown2

Are you just providing a supply or connecting it to power. Demag I have on site I just supplied protection (CB) and then a isolator with 3 phase and earth. I do not think there was a neutral but I am sure this could vary. The Demag tech did the rest and commissoned. Then I take over afterwards.
 13 March 2013 11:57 PM

sbrown2

I found loads of DEMAG docs or pdf's online.
 14 March 2013 09:36 AM

whjohnson

It's a 2nd hand unit and I just need to fit a length of cable on it to try it - before the prospective owner parts with the readies to the seller.
There's some Demag stuff online but not for the model I'm looking for. It all seems to be about the DC PRO models with an electronic control card inside, wheras the one I am looking at is a straight 2 speed model with a 110v control side for the pendent.
Any links would be useful if you have them.
I would have thought that L1 L2 L3 would have been marked but there's nothing on the terminals to suggest this. I am now wondering if the supply should be connected directly to one of the contactor terminals.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 14 March 2013 06:06 PM

jcm256

There are many different types, finding the diagram you are looking for
is difficult.

Mains on this one L1 L2 L3 an PE

Motor Squirrel Cage
Two Speed
1W1, 1V1, 1Ui

2W1, 2V1, 2U1

http://www.demaghoist.com/Pdf/...9_electdiag.pdf

Just in case, the factory inspector comes around if you sell/buy it:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equ...inery/loler.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equ...cond-hand-products.htm
 18 March 2013 12:20 AM

whjohnson

Thanks for the info.
I contacted DEMAG UK and they sent me a schematic pdf for the PK-10 model which differs only in the pendant type.

I connected up the supply directly to contactor K024 (contactors are marked as per drawing).

Hoist will not function from the push buttons but I can operate the motor by operating the contactors manually. Everything functions ok ( UP/DOWN HI-LOW speeds) but no joy from the p/b station. The push buttons are fed via 110V transformer and the control fuse isn't blown.

Am assuming that there is an open cct on the control side due to either a broken core in the pendent cable, or there is some kind of interlock. I cannot find anything resembling an ON/OFF switch or E/stop on the P/B station, nor are there any up/down limit switches present.
I recall from previous experience that the older models relied upon a slipping clutch arrangement to cater for overtravel of the chain, and that no up/down limit controls were fitted.

I wonder if anyone can advise further as to where any on/off control s/w mechanism for the 110V control side might be located on this particular model.

As you will recall, this model is a PM 8NF, where the pendent/control station cable is coiled around the chain run, and the pushbutton station forms part of the hook assembly.

Further comments on the above would be much appreciated.

18 March 2013 03:25 PM

rh2577

You probably have a break in the control voltage to the handset (probably a broken wire in the coiled cable), you should be able to check this voltage in the handset probably to the e-stop first (IIRC it's on the top front face of the handset, it should be there as this is a mandatory item). If this was ok I would expect at least one of the contactors to operate. Check also the 0v common on the contactor coils.

HTH

Rob Heywood MIET

As you get older, three things happen, the first is that your memory goes and..........I can't recall what the other two things are!

Norman Wisdom
 18 March 2013 05:14 PM

whjohnson

I agree.
Given there is no seperate E/Stop button on the control station, it has to be an O/C somewhere on the 110V control side of things.

The P/B station looks like this, but without the E/Stop.

The hoist is an old type (1987) rather than the one in the picture.

http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Dem...ift-206563-255x255.jpg

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.