IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: A question about 2D ballasts.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 March 2013 10:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 March 2013 10:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Evenibg all,
Not up on my ballasts theory so would like to know why there are different levels of ballasts on 2D fittings.The ones I use are 4 pin and wondered why they just dont provide a standard rated ballast that could take say a 60w lamp or less rated as standard.,After 16w the physicl size of the lamp is the same.

28w has 28w lamps and 38w has 38w lamps as you would expect but tonight at th suppliers I noticed a 55w version of lamp but I havnt seen a 55w version of the fitting I use in domestic jobs but I presume if i fit 55w to 38w balasted fitting then the balast would burn out in 2\3rds time than if it was running its 38w.On the other hand would a 28w lamp in a 38w ballasted fitting burn the lamp out quicker or allow the ballast to have a longer life.
Any info appreciated.
Regards
Antric
 07 March 2013 11:08 PM

Ricicle

In my experience a 28w lamp in a 38w fitting will last a while but usually fail prematurely with the lamp running very hot near the lampholder leading to brittleness of the lampholder.

-------------------------
Empty barrels make the most noise.
 08 March 2013 12:06 PM

impvan

The 55w 2D's you've seen are the same size as a 28w.

The way to do what you want is to use an electronic multi-ballast, which will adapt (within bounds) to whatever lamp it's connected to; although you may also have to change the lampholder as they're usually polarised to stop you fitting the wrong lamp.....
 08 March 2013 11:47 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: impvan

The 55w 2D's you've seen are the same size as a 28w.

The way to do what you want is to use an electronic multi-ballast, which will adapt (within bounds) to whatever lamp it's connected to; although you may also have to change the lampholder as they're usually polarised to stop you fitting the wrong lamp.....

Evening,
Yes 55w\38\28w all same physical size.They are all 4 pin and the 55w clips into the 28 and 38 w fittings.
I am going to fit the 55w into a fitting I have at home that is 38w rated and see what happens.
Regards
Antric
 03 June 2013 05:38 PM

charleswest

What happened?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.