Increase font size
Topic Title: Experience
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 March 2013 10:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 March 2013 10:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

thomo2525

My name is Andy Thomas and I have recently completed a Domestic Installer Qualification. This includes Part-P, Wiring Regulations, City & Guilds 2392 and DPIR.

I am trying to gain experience in the electrician business and find work with an electrician for 12 months - 2 years to build some confidence and experience. I'd be pleased to negotiate any pay but I really would like to be out and about seeing the job first hand. I am from Stramshall (near Uttoxeter) but am happy to travel anywhere within the Midlands.

If you have an opportunity available or are able to discuss this please contact me on thomo2525@hotmail.co.uk or at the address above. Any advice would be greatly accepted.

Andy
 05 March 2013 11:47 PM

Legh

Well Andy,
First of all I'd like to welcome you to the tea party. There are all sorts of contributors on here with a variety of skills and experience. Not all do domestic work although there are a couple who do.
There was one chap recently who was looking for an electrician but had no luck due to what appeared to be inflexibility on the part of the applicants.
As far as getting experience in the domestic area of electrical installations you may have a while to wait or you maybe lucky and get an immediate personal response. In either case just keep reading the posts .

What I would look for in a newly qualified DI would be:
1/ Previous experience and life skills
2/ Basic health and Safety awareness
3/ Upper body strength and stamina
4/ A willingness to learn
5/ Flexibility to work odd hours and travel
6/ Own transport and some tools
7/ be prepared to do a lot of basic running around, carrying tools, access equipment and materials
8/ Spend time watching and asking questions.
9/ Don't expect to earn much money for the first few months.

Now there are some companies who will take on enthusiastic mature learners but the pay is basic, the hours are long and its usually 6.00 - 7.00am start. So be prepared.
If you are a quick learner then there is a chance you may be given small jobs to do within the first couple of months.
Its then a question of building up trust and a working relationship with whoever takes you on.
Good luck in your venture

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 06 March 2013 07:05 AM

thomo2525

Thanks legh

I'm willing to do all the above to hopefully continue learning on top of what I already know.
I have tools and equipment etc and my own van so I'd be able to get around. Hopefully someone may give me an opportunity that I'll grab with both hands
Thanks again
 06 March 2013 10:26 AM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: thomo2525
I am trying to gain experience in the electrician business and find work with an electrician for 12 months - 2 years to build some confidence and experience.
Andy

If you're confident on the phone, put a day or two aside and phone all the electrical companies within say a 20 mile radius.
If you hear the words 'we don't need anybody' treat it as 'we don't need anybody at the moment' and ask if it's ok to call back in a months time.
If you get asked to write in with your qualifactions etc.. always follow up with a phone call a week or so later.
Good luck.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.