Topic Title: which van? NEVER another vivaro
Topic Summary: heap of********
Created On: 05 March 2013 08:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 March 2013 08:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dave69

my old van went into limp mode, crawled home at 15mph as I was only a couple of miles from home. Called the AA out and all the engineer said is "what garage do you want me to tow it to" I chuckled a bit as it was well gone 6pm so everywhere was shut, so he left without doing a single check. Tried the van this morning and still the same so this time I called the RAC out, engineer started the van and tried to drive it off but got nowhere so he pluged his lap top thingy in and found 9 fault codes, he tried clearing them but 7 came straight back, all sensor faults.
like me, he said he didn't believe 7 sensors could all go faulty at the same time and suggested I searched on the net for some answers, i said it sounded more like a wiring fault. sh1t why are car/van electrics so dam complicated, after 15 mins of getting covered in crap I had the mad idea that i'd take the wiring loom out and test it on my bench.

2 hours later and the loom was out and on my bench, so far in just half an hour of prodding a meter around I've found 3 different cases of bare wires shorting out. will continue with the fun NOT project tomorrow as I cant get to work with no van.

the main concern tonight though is, now with the loom out, battery disconected etc. I cant lock the pile of cr@p up.

anyone one wanna buy a non running vivaro? lol i done a quote on "we buy any van" and they offered £200 as a non runner, the tyres are worth more than that, but I have to say it IS A PILE OF JUNK

Edited: 05 March 2013 at 08:59 PM by Dave69
 05 March 2013 09:06 PM

antric2

dave, I sympathise with you on this.We have 2 Zafiras and they have been trouble from the day we have had them .I was a Vauxhall man through and through but not now.
Thay are the biggest heaps of xxite we have ever had.
Tha vivaro is the same I believe but the Renault version with its mods seem to be ok.

Your problem will be either related to the EGR valve throwing everything out or the filter clogged.
Now I presume the engine manage light is on.We were told when this happens to floor it in 2nd and give it a high rev run down the motorway for 20 mins.Stop and restart and it apparently clears. It has worked for us on variopus occasions but hasnt lasted.
Good luck
antric
 05 March 2013 09:09 PM

clansman

Stick it on eBay, you'll be surprised.

Like you my Trafic has cracked a piston, so listed it a repair or spares, within 2 hours of listing it I had 3 offers and so far there are over 50 people watching it!
 05 March 2013 09:10 PM

DOUGIE1000

What year and miliage?

See link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2711...ksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 05 March 2013 09:28 PM

DR2366

Review Site

This site helped me choose my van, out of interest mine scored 4.5 out of 5 and the garage were I get my car and van serviced just say by Japaneese!
 05 March 2013 09:55 PM

stateit

It's usually so-bloody-simple design faults.

For instance, V.A.G. group motors commonly electrically fail where the loom is bent at 90 degrees underneath the battery housing.

So simple to remedy at design stage and has any booger bothered??? After several different Mark Numbers and body redesigns??!!!

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 05 March 2013 09:56 PM

redtoblackblewtopieces

Vauxhaul,Renualt or Nissan ( vivaro,traffic or primastar) all the same van after 3 years or 80,000 miles get rid if you survive the limp mode saga-erg valve or exhaust sensor or wiring or glow plugs or turbo sensor or elves then the gear box will go around 100k if not that then the
Injectors will need replacing and that will be a head skim cause they get stuck because of design flaw.Nice vans when new-my prima star went into limp mode twice when trying to get rid.....HATE THEM.
Kevin

Safety through a Standard
Compliance by Approved Documents
 05 March 2013 10:11 PM

sparkingchip

I am driving around in a new van having dumped the Trafic far to late. Numerous limp home events, EGR valve replaced, but still further issues like speedo stops working intermittently, replaced clutches (plural), clutch cylinders (plural), clutch smoother, clutch pipes, gear stick connecting cables, side door lock.

Don't keep a Trafic to 60K miles, it will cost you.

Anyway twelve month old Nissan NV200 with eleven miles on the clock and a huge discount on book price, smaller but I will have to make it big enough by only carrying what I really need to.

Andy
 05 March 2013 10:22 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: redtoblackblewtopieces

Vauxhaul,Renualt or Nissan ( vivaro,traffic or primastar) all the same van after 3 years or 80,000 miles get rid if you survive the limp mode saga-erg valve or exhaust sensor or wiring or glow plugs or turbo sensor or elves then the gear box will go around 100k if not that then the

Injectors will need replacing and that will be a head skim cause they get stuck because of design flaw.Nice vans when new-my prima star went into limp mode twice when trying to get rid.....HATE THEM.

Kevin

Nice post Most of us have been there haven't we...

I think you can substitute any Manufacturer's name in there though.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 05 March 2013 10:34 PM

Dave69

Originally posted by: antric2

dave, I sympathise with you on this.We have 2 Zafiras and they have been trouble from the day we have had them .I was a Vauxhall man through and through but not now.

Thay are the biggest heaps of xxite we have ever had.

Tha vivaro is the same I believe but the Renault version with its mods seem to be ok.

Your problem will be either related to the EGR valve throwing everything out or the filter clogged.

Now I presume the engine manage light is on.We were told when this happens to floor it in 2nd and give it a high rev run down the motorway for 20 mins.Stop and restart and it apparently clears. It has worked for us on variopus occasions but hasnt lasted.

Good luck

antric

egr vale has been out along with the MAF and both changed with ones from another van, still same probs on my van but nothing on the other one.
I'd love to thrash the ass off it and take it down the motorway but it wont go over 15 mph,

just spent a few more mins looking at the loom and have now found a section where 6 nice coloured wired went under some heat shrink about 2 inches long (sorry I only do old money) but only 5 appeared out the other end, the heat shrink is the sh1tty stuff with adhesive inside, I've managed to peel it back a bit and it seem all the wires are stripped of insulation and touching,im sure this cant be right, but if it is why the hell have they done it? the six wires come from the fuse/relay box and this joiny thing is only about 6 inches away from the box
 05 March 2013 10:42 PM

peteTLM

I did like my vivaro, BUT it suffered badly with the rubbish french wiring loom. Cracks in wiring all the time where it jumps from body shell to engine.
EGR valve went after 3 years causing 2 months off road in which time it got replaced with something just as bad. A T5 VW.

The absolute worst thing about owning it was the fact that it got recovered to a renault garage once, who then after watching it get dropped off, then refused to work on it as it was badged as a vauxhall.

I would name and shame them but ive forgotten their name.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 05 March 2013 10:46 PM

jamieblatant

I don't get why people don't just buy ford transits

They are ace every one knows them parts are easy to come by

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 05 March 2013 10:58 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: jamieblatant

I must admit i do agree. But certain models do sound like a tractor.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 05 March 2013 11:24 PM

TopTrumper

Excellent Post..
Just what i wanted to hear after buying my 58 Renault Trafic last friday for £7000.... with 52000 on clock

PS, it looks and drives fantastic, i am made up with it...
 05 March 2013 11:33 PM

Dave69

Originally posted by: TopTrumper

Excellent Post..

Just what i wanted to hear after buying my 58 Renault Trafic last friday for £7000.... with 52000 on clock

PS, it looks and drives fantastic, i am made up with it...

all I can say is SELL IT before it gets any older
 06 March 2013 02:35 AM

Martynduerden

I am sure vauxhall is an anagram for something sh1t I will never buy vx again totally unreliable, very poorly built, dealers know nothing, overpriced & no residual value.

People don't buy transits because there a noisy box your right about parts though so common..... Because the fail regularly.

I too am looking for another van small one this time I have a VW crafter which is great, looking at a caddy maxi ATM seems pretty good all round.

Not much choice out there for quality really Mb or VW seems to be it.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 06 March 2013 10:01 AM

tomgunn

Fingers crossed I bought a Renault trafic over a year ago for my sons electrical business - apart from some track rod ends on its MOT it runs really well - bought it for £1025 ex ebay / didnt sell on there and it was loaded with two ripped out very old kitchens, that I dumped, and the interior couldnt have been in a worse state and I spent a full day cleaning just the cab area as it was really filthy / dirty - rotten! Bought loads of small parts - gear stick knob - visor etc. I was worried that my son would blow if he had seen the state - all looking fab when I finished - oh... fingers crossed it'll last him a looong time!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 06 March 2013 02:08 PM

sparkingchip

The NV 200 twelve months old with eleven miles on the clock was £8,500 plus VAT and road tax, there was one for £8,300 alongside it, but the one I had has the toys on it, Bluetooth radio and reversing camera etc.

Old van as part of deposit, some cash and the rest on the never never, but don't forget the tax allowance. It ends up a no brainer.

You can't lose time from work and let customers down because you drive a dodgy van.
 06 March 2013 04:53 PM

rocknroll

LOL You think you have problems, I have a car that is not 6 months old and it has broken down 12 times already, the dealer at Marsh Barton has changed everything that ended with sensor on it to no avail, the last item to do with engine management about the size of a matchbox would have costed me £2500 if it was my vehicle , bit of a sore point taking away my Mondeo S and ending up with a basic white car, the bloody thing does not even have roof bars on it to carry a kayak, sometimes two and often masts and sails, I applied to to have these fitted and even offered to pay the ridiculous Audi price of £650 for factory fitted colour coded bars if need be but no chance.

Anyway I found at the Ford dealer in Ivybridge a part-ex 1 owner, 52k, 04, 2.0 ltr petrol focus ghia estate with bars that nobody wanted because of the high group, £3250 with MOT, service, brakes and 6 months warrantee or £2k take away as is, better option only cost me £400 for service, brakes and MOT, goes like stink.
<<<<<<<

Always been a Ford fan you can thrash them, abuse them, treat them like sh!t and they just keep coming back for more,

If any of you travel the A30 stretch between Exeter and the A303 and see a white Audi 12 plate estate on the side thats me as it always happens there, toot toot , even the friendly AA man cant even get it started.

Its a strange fault actually, I am driving along at 70 or so and the speedo needle goes to zero and thats it the car dies.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 06 March 2013 at 05:57 PM by rocknroll
 06 March 2013 05:54 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: peteTLM

Originally posted by: jamieblatant

I must admit i do agree. But certain models do sound like a tractor.

For a truly agricultural experience you need to be in a Nissan Vanette doing 40mph.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » which van? NEVER another vivaro

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.