Increase font size
Topic Title: Cable damage
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 March 2013 05:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 March 2013 05:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

colinhaggett

Found this up in the ceiling when ripping out. Had been in use up till then, must have tripped the the RCD when the damage was caused many years ago. But the nail had long since disappeared to leave the cable fault free apart from a big hole and damage to the live conductor.

02 March 2013 06:15 PM

daveparry1

Looks more like a piece of copper pipe!

Dave.
 02 March 2013 06:29 PM

slittle

Seen a few like that too. The worse one was a drilled hole through the live of a 2.5 T&E. The hole had a rawlplug and screw in it holding up a fire extingusher bracket.

It was only luck that the bracket wasn't live

Stu
 02 March 2013 06:52 PM

alanblaby

Many years ago one of our RCDs tripped. Reset it, and didnt trip again.
The next day, I put some washing in the machine, and got a tingle off the washing machine. I didnt think anything at the time, just thought it was static off the washing taken out of the dryer.
The next day, I took the washing out and got a right belt off it. The RCD did trip then.
After much searching, the fault was found. My lad, who was 12 or so at the time had borrowed my drill, and decided to put around 20 holes in his bedroom floor, through the carpet, so they couldnt be seen.
The bit had cut straight through the CPC, and nicked the line, and pushed the washing machine end of the CPC (radial) onto the line, so the bodywork of both the washer and dryer were live.

Of course, he denied ever drilling any holes.
 02 March 2013 06:52 PM

Rum1

The lighting makes it look like yellow flex instead of twin & earth LOL!
Come across a few of these.
Most awkward one was trying to trace an intermittant fault on a ring circuit. Found continuity was broken on Live ring conductor.
Eventually found the problem - behind a kitchen wall unit. The kitchen fitter had drilled, rawl plugged and fitted mounting bracket through the sheathing & twin & earth! A right pain to locate......a rare bonus was that i managed to pull a new cable in between the sockets on the ring!

Fitter must have known but said nothing....fault sat like it for over a year
 02 March 2013 08:47 PM

DR2366

Intermittant faults:

What a pain!

1. Nail in a cable under the stairs. Once in a while when someone walked up the stairs it caused the RCD to trip. Most of the time it caused no problem at all.

2. Taped up cut end of a cable in the loft which arced and blew the contact point apart for a few weeks only to touch again and repeat the process all over again. Every time I tested for the fault I found nothing wrong. Very frustrating, resorted to crawling around the loft looking at the cables hoping to find some but evidence of rodent damage. None found until I pulled a cable disconnected from a light fitting above a remodelled room. Ahh found it!
 03 March 2013 01:04 AM

alancapon

My favourite from a few years ago, was a householder drilling from their study into the garage without measuring. Unfortunately, the drill went straight through the PILC service cable just below the cutout. Fortunately no injuries, but when faced with what was obviously once a white garage interior, with one black wall, a black floor and a black ceiling, it was very difficult not to laugh.

Regards,

Alan.
 03 March 2013 05:40 AM

ebee

A short cut to changing the colour scheme of a location Alan!

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 03 March 2013 07:57 AM

dbullard

Strangest one for me, also on a kitchen RFC, old barn conversion that had a brand new floor and kitchen in after a bit of remodeling as the original conversion was 30 years old.

When the "local village" sparky had wired the ring rather than use trunking behind the units at low level had put the t+e behind the the wood floor, not thinking that the wooden floor would expand with moisture, only on wet days would the RCD trip, turns out the the T+E was being cut almost in half ............

Regards

Daren

-------------------------
..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 03 March 2013 09:14 AM

markespark

Reminds me of a conversion on an old convent some years back - first floorboard I lifted (about 2 inches think !) had been nailed down straight through a water pipe - result was water ***** everywhere - pipe must have been hit some 20-50 years earlier, just waiting for me to lift the floor board lol
 03 March 2013 01:41 PM

primo

Originally posted by: markespark

Reminds me of a conversion on an old convent some years back - first floorboard I lifted (about 2 inches think !) had been nailed down straight through a water pipe - result was water ***** everywhere - pipe must have been hit some 20-50 years earlier, just waiting for me to lift the floor board lol

I'll bet it was fun trying to explain that one to the client!
 03 March 2013 04:31 PM

SamP

I had one on a board change a while back. Tested the kitchen ring to find open cpc. Tracked the fault down to between two sockets and got the floor up to have a look. Found a piece of t and e which had previously had a nail driven through it (the scorch marks made it easier to spot), but no signs of any cips/ pipes in the vicinity. Apparently the kitchen had been wired/ modified using existing/ old cable and had never been retested.

Regards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.